IU vs Arkansas pre-game thread

milehiiu

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this game was at home then I would say we would win fairly easily but being on the road it will be a dog fight.  It seems like that a pressing team plays better at home and seems to cause a lot more turnovers.  I hope we make them pay for pressing and score a lot of layups to break the press.  RMK always said don't just break the press but score off of it.  It seemed like when we played Iowa und Tom Davis we struggled with the press at Iowa but we tore it up playing in AH.

53 minutes ago, Reacher said:

As I think about this, Rob will have to not get rattled and then I could see a big game from Justin Smith playing a more open court , faster paced game

I just hope they don’t speed us up and we fall in love with the three. Continue attacking and stay out of foul trouble.

Road game, so bound to be tougher.  I'm hopeful, but this is one of those games where I'll record it and watch later on purpose.  Hopefully, Archie brought these kids down quickly after the Marquette win.  If they go in with their heads in the clouds, they'll get curb-stomped.  I don't expect that out of this group...they really seem to have their heads on straight, but you never know.  I want 'em confident, but not overconfident.

2 hours ago, Colonialcrester said:

Another game that will give us a good idea of our true potential...and how we play away.

I was just thinking the same general thing . It somewhat reminds me of the  @NC State game several years ago - going into that one.  Cautious optimism, with a bit more underlying optimism than caution. We'll see which is more warranted early on , but Sunday's game can hardly get here fast enough! for me!  :)

34 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Road game, so bound to be tougher.  I'm hopeful, but this is one of those games where I'll record it and watch later on purpose.  Hopefully, Archie brought these kids down quickly after the Marquette win.  If they go in with their heads in the clouds, they'll get curb-stomped.  I don't expect that out of this group...they really seem to have their heads on straight, but you never know.  I want 'em confident, but not overconfident.

Be sure you have the sign lit for the game

Game Preview

Sunday, 11/18 at 3:30pm ET on ESPN

Vegas: TBD

ESPN: 62% chance of IU victory

KenPom: IU #18, Arkansas #53. 59% chance of IU victory, predicts final score of IU 76, Arkansas 74.

IU Scouting Report

image.png.9ae53f10d5de170c072f1e596a0c2351.png

Arkansas Report

image.png.805a6a2f37c2ee25399135ac46d6cfad.png

Arkansas has played just two games, a season opening loss to Texas in OT on a neutral floor 73-71, and crushing cupcake UC Davis.

Themes

• FG% allowed - similar to Marquette game, both teams ranked highly - IU #8, Arkansas #16.
  • Turnovers - also similar to Marquette game, Arkansas has not taken care of the ball, ranking #242 in turnovers given up. We are now 27th in the nation in turning the other team over.
  • Shooting % - while Marquette had an advantage here, Arkansas has struggled equally to us from 3P range and the FT line, while struggling from 2P range, where we have excelled.

Statistically, there really isn't a place where Arkansas has the advantage except for getting to the free throw line more often and 2P defense (which didn't help Marquette). We are ranked higher in both offensive and defensive efficiency. They have the home court. Only a few games in, so the stats aren't perfect, but we certainly have the numbers in our favor.

The freshmen have shown maturity at Assembly Hall, but can do they do the same in a 19,000+ capacity Bud Walton Arena? 

Summary of the Arkansas matchup:

• This will be truly a match up of two younger teams with a lot of incoming players.
  • Indiana needs to hold down Daniel Gafford in the same way they kept Markus Howard under control against Marquette.
  • With a shorter guard rotation, I expect a bit of early trouble seeing the press for the first time this year.
  • Can Indiana's defense continue their momentum and stop Arkansas's motion offense?

Archived