Arkansas post game

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The players lost this one, even though the officiating was garbage. Romeo made at least three lazy passes that got picked off. Rob P. was dazed and confused. DeRon is still out of shape.On and on. Ugly game all around. Hopefully this will provide a "teachable moment." 

4 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Archie needs to watch Holtman coach at the end of games. Reason they always win close ones. 

If that tip goes another 1/2 inch, we win and say "great job not ruining the flow of the game with a senseless timeout"

We missed two shots at the rim. Hard to complain about that.

I dont think tbis game is a reason to knee jerk into our coaching is bad. That is hopefully just an emotional response.

This is a team with two freshmen in the starting lineup - both expected to be major contributors.  We are going to be a team that has a learning curve to navigate.  Throw in several players dealing with injuries and it will take a while to hit a stride.

Losing on the road to an athletic, well-coached team by 1 point is a far cry from the embarrassing losses of the last two seasons.

Finally, we may not see many players with Gafford's skill set the rest of the season.

1 minute ago, Jacarcio said:

I'm only bummed at the lack of energy we seemed to show. In our passes and help defence through out the game. I was super frustrated watching the lazy passing. 

I know its tough to watch the passing but we are young. We will take so much from this loss that come when it means something we will be ready! And as some pointed out CAMs time out maybe he will 2

9 minutes ago, Shooter said:

But he can't shoot that ball with 7 sec left. If he shoots it at 3 sec the half ends after De'Ron's missed tip in, and we're in OT right now.

That's quite a bit to ask of a freshman in a hostile arena. In my opinion.

Lots to learn...including how to win on the road and a close game. Everyone had some good moments and some low moments. I didn’t like the end of game management from Archie I wanted a timeout to set up a play at half court. Then save the timeout til after the second free throw. Just wish we played tougher. Grab that board and then go back up strong with it...rip through and be strong...strong passes...meet the ball. Some lazy work...I can handle missed shots but effort wasn’t the same. They will learn they need to bring that intensity every night...especially in Cameron or that game will get ugly.

1 minute ago, BEKA said:

The players lost this one, even though the officiating was garbage. Romeo made at least three lazy passes that got picked off. Rob P. was dazed and confused. DeRon is still out of shape.On and on. Ugly game all around. Hopefully this will provide a "teachable moment." 

This is how I see it.  The end sucked, but we were right there to win it after playing a very lack luster game in general. Romeo now has a lot of game film to go back and look at.  He was way to soft with his passes and didn’t take care of the ball well in general.  This is why you play these kind of games early in the season, give the team some adversity and see how they react.  This team has some work to do, but all of the issues are fixable.

Positives and negatives.

down 10, in the second half, came back tough.  Romeo hits a good 3 in a pressure situation. Phinisee hits a 3 in a pressure situation.  The team did not quit and fought through adversity to have a great chance at winning.

Take the layup every time, and and easy chance at a tip in to gain the lead with 2 seconds to go doesn't seem like they didn't know what to do.  Just flat out did not execute. (missed both)

In the not too recent past, the team wouldn't even get a shot, so point blank to win it is pretty good.  (no moral victories)

It's November.  Lot's to gain from this loss.  Team has a lot to learn about energy, lazy passes and tight defense. Generally, did not play good enough to win)

The potential is there.  A couple of players back would help (McBob was missed the most today, but no excuses, play who shows up)

I am excited about the toughness of this team in crunch time on the road.  Still a lot to learn.  Still a fun team to watch.

14 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

If that tip goes another 1/2 inch, we win and say "great job not ruining the flow of the game with a senseless timeout"

We missed two shots at the rim. Hard to complain about that.

I dont think tbis game is a reason to knee jerk into our coaching is bad. That is hopefully just an emotional response.

Personally I’m getting the ball to my senior leader Juwan in that situation instead of putting the game into the hands of my freshmen point guard. If that tip goes in I say “wow we got away with one” If we give the ball to Juwan on the block and lose I say “hey tough break but you got the look you wanted”.. win or lose does not change the fact that it was a good or bad coaching job. 

8 minutes ago, Mac said:

That's quite a bit to ask of a freshman in a hostile arena. In my opinion.

That's fair. But if it's too much to ask, then you call a time out, set up a play and make it easier on him.

To be clear I am really high on Rob. On that play he just made a freshman mistake.

4 minutes ago, IUalum said:

Positives and negatives.

down 10, in the second half, came back tough.  Romeo hits a good 3 in a pressure situation. Phinisee hits a 3 in a pressure situation.  The team did not quit and fought through adversity to have a great chance at winning.

Take the layup every time, and and easy chance at a tip in to gain the lead with 2 seconds to go doesn't seem like they didn't know what to do.  Just flat out did not execute. (missed both)

In the not too recent past, the team wouldn't even get a shot, so point blank to win it is pretty good.  (no moral victories)

It's November.  Lot's to gain from this loss.  Team has a lot to learn about energy, lazy passes and tight defense. Generally, did not play good enough to win)

The potential is there.  A couple of players back would help (McBob was missed the most today, but no excuses, play who shows up)

I am excited about the toughness of this team in crunch time on the road.  Still a lot to learn.  Still a fun team to watch.

Well said...........

7 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Personally I’m getting the ball to my senior leader Juwan in that situation instead of putting the game into the hands of my freshmen point guard. If that tip goes in I say “wow we got away with one” If we give the ball to Juwan on the block and lose I say “hey tough break but you got the look you wanted”.. win or lose does not change the fact that it was a good or bad coaching job. 

I hear ya. But keep in mind, we struggled all day against their half court defense. Our best chance, in THIS game was transition under 10 seconds to go. I feel you have to let your players play instead of letting them set up their defense where we struggled in the half court most of the game.

Archived