Arkansas post game

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

see, i totally disagree.  i thought we played extremely poorly in all aspects of the game and lost to a lesser talented team.  i also feel like we needed to get in the rankings before we lose at Duke.  i think this was a really big loss.  

Wow...slow your roll, man.  I hope you have a lot different opinion after a good night's rest.

No, this is NOT a really big loss.  Good grief...

I’d just like to point out that IU only slipped on position in Kenpom from 16th to 17th, and that these kinds of tests make champions later in the year. Not to bash the previous coach, but past IU clubs seemed to peak in January ( the ‘13 team was #1 for a good part of the year and lost several before squeezing out the win when Michigan missed that shot- then, Syracuse, sigh..) I’d much rather follow the Izzo model. So many prognosticators write Sparty off after a few November/ December losses and then it clicks, and they peak at the right time. The sky is not falling, I STILL believe this is a special team, and will be a great season. Bring on Arkansas in March!!!!

17 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Wow...slow your roll, man.  I hope you have a lot different opinion after a good night's rest.

No, this is NOT a really big loss.  Good grief...

Not a bad loss at all and one I expected.  Still to lose the way we did was just sad.  Why Deron didn't grab the ball and dunk the sucker I'll never know.  Butler and Louisville are now must wins.

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Not a bad loss at all and one I expected.  Still to lose the way we did was just sad.  Why Deron didn't grab the ball and dunk the sucker I'll never know.  Butler and Louisville are now must wins.

It seemed like nobody had any idea how much time was left. Phinisee drove way too early and Davis apparently thought he only had time for a tip-in. Very poor awareness at the end.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

The guy goes by CrimsonCrush and he has totally lost any ounce of reality the last few weeks on the football board.    When he gets called out for letting the outcome of games bother him so much he says life is not worth living if his teams don't win.

What a pathetic life he leads...

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't think any of the guys we were missing would have made the difference in a win or loss.  we just played very poorly. 

The guys we were missing would have made a significant difference. McRoberts wouldn’t have gotten lost on defense like Anderson consistently was, and Green would have given us that 2nd ball handler after Phinisee was in foul trouble. Missing those two guys was huge, especially in a 1-pt loss on the road. 

I'm just watching the replay and admittedly, I'm only early in the 2nd half but I'm not seeing several things mentioned here.  For starters, I don't think Damezi is nearly as bad as he's being portrayed here.  Thus far, I've seen him bring up the ball a couple of times without issue, steal a ball, and hit a nice mid-range jumper.  He also doesn't look as lost to me on defense as he does to several of you.  I've seen him defend hard and track his man even when he was helping in the paint.  He's not perfect, but I think several of you are blowing his defensive problems out of proportion based on past perceptions. Maybe the last 12 minutes dramatically changes my mind, but I haven't seen IU struggle much with the press thus far, with the exception of Romeo almost losing it a couple of times (no, he should not be the primary ballhandler - not his role).  Al just broke the press easily and just threw the ball too high for Juwan, or it would have been an easy two.  Gafford is a beast and the guards for Arkansas hit a couple of pretty three's.

Romeo has been lazy on several passes and has passed at bad low-percentage angles.  He's 18.  Al while hitting a couple of nice 3's has also been uncharacteristically sloppy as well.  This will be a great film session to fix several things, but man...a few of our fans are way too negative over an early season game.  Not their best game, but plenty to feel good about going forward.  This team is just going to get better and healthier.

Random thoughts from the game

- Morgan doesn’t get in early foul trouble, IU wins

- McRoberts and Green play, IU wins

- Tough road loss, pulling it out would have been a great momentum builder but this is a learning experience that will be good

- Speaking of the refs, I thought the egregious call was the travel call on Davis on the 2nd or 3rd to last possession. First, Gafford flopped big time and second Davis didn’t travel at all, he was tripped after Gafford flopped. Should have been a foul on Gafford

- Speaking of Davis, I’ve admittedly been hard him, but I thought he played really well tonight and was a big reason IU was in the game

- Speaking of Gafford, he was the best player on the court tonight

- While I’d love Morgan to touch the ball on the last possession and yes Archie could have called a timeout, I have no problem how the last possession transpired. It will help Phinisee in the long run, and the reality is we missed two point-blank game winning layups. 

- I said it after the first or second game, but Smith doesn’t looked improved at all to me. It’s a long season and he can certainly improve, but he’s got to play bettter. He’s certainly not a 3 as some were saying the off-season. He’s so soft at the rim, reminds me of Watford early in his career getting everything blocked. 

- I thought Langford played well at time and was nice to see him knock some 3’s down and hit his free throws, but he needs some work on his ball handling, etc, But as with others this game was a good experience for him. 

Really disappointing loss, but really happy with how a young, beat up team, missing their senior leader for a half, responded on the road when down 10 in the second half. 

Damezi just broke the press and had a nice assist to De'Ron.  I'm just not seeing what you all are seeing with Anderson.  I'd encourage you to go back and watch him with an open mind.

EDIT:  Now that I've seen the whole game, I will give you that Damezi played a little passive a couple of times down low when he could have helped more on the interior, but I watched the whole game and while I saw a couple of freshman mistakes, I honestly saw more mistakes from Romeo and even saw him lose his man for a wide-open 3 attempt.  No question, Romeo is the jewel of the freshman class, but defensively, I don't really see him ahead of Damezi or at least not appreciably ahead of him.  Damezi showed me more positives than I expected this game, given the early comments I read before watching.  Kid has huge potential and all these early minutes due to injury will only help him develop faster.

40 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Random thoughts from the game

- McRoberts and Green play, IU wins

- Tough road loss, pulling it out would have been a great momentum builder but this is a learning experience that will be good

- Speaking of the refs, I thought the egregious call was the travel call on Davis on the 2nd or 3rd to last possession. First, Gafford flopped big time and second Davis didn’t travel at all, he was tripped after Gafford flopped. Should have been a foul on Gafford

- Speaking of Davis, I’ve admittedly been hard him, but I thought he played really well tonight and was a big reason IU was in the game

- Speaking of Gafford, he was the best player on the court tonight

- While I’d love Morgan to touch the ball on the last possession and yes Archie could have called a timeout, I have no problem how the last possession transpired. It will help Phinisee in the long run, and the reality is we missed two point-blank game winning layups. 

- I said it after the first or second game, but Smith doesn’t looked improved at all to me. It’s a long season and he can certainly improve, but he’s got to play bettter. He’s certainly not a 3 as some were saying the off-season. He’s so soft at the rim, reminds me of Watford early in his career getting everything blocked. 

- I thought Langford played well at time and was nice to see him knock some 3’s down and hit his free throws, but he needs some work on his ball handling, etc, But as with others this game was a good experience for him. 

Really disappointing loss, but really happy with how a young, beat up team, missing their senior leader for a half, responded on the road when down 10 in the second half. 

Agree with all of this. Took the words right out of my mouth. Getting 8 minutes from Juwan in the first half, we win. If ONE of Green or McRoberts plays even just 12 minutes, we win.

To add...in contrast to Justin Smith...Al Durham confirmed his sophomore jump today. He turned the ball over, but he was forced to play out of position, and 2 of them were offensive fouls.

Does this lineup work...Rob, Romeo, Al, McBob, Juwan? 

Just a bizarrely called game. Honestly impressed the ref had the balls to call that last foul. Clearly, the ncaa needs to investigate their refs as well. This was on wisconsin level. Loved the close ups of toothless fans repeatedly from Ark. I think we played as bad as possible and still should have won. Improve and destroy lol.

bottom line is, no, it's not the end of the world or the season.  and no, it doesn't mean Miller isn't a good coach.  it is concerning because Arkansas isn't a bad team, but they are also not a top 25 team.  we played very poorly in all aspects.  i'd rather be ranked than not ranked.  sure unranked teams make the tourney and i definitely think we're a tourney team, but i personally would like to see the Hoosiers ranked.  if you are someone saying you don't care about being ranked, that's kinda hard to understand.  with the upcoming loss to to Duke, we won't be on the radar for quite a while.  

The more I think about that last possession the more I really like it. Phinisee and Davis just missed the shots. I love that Phinisee, playing in a somewhat hostile environment in just his 3rd game, alongside two ‘stars’ in Morgan and Langford, had the stones to be aggressive and make a play. This will pay dividends down the line. The kid is a straight leader. Sometimes the ball just doesn’t go in. 

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Damezi just broke the press and had a nice assist to De'Ron.  I'm just not seeing what you all are seeing with Anderson.  I'd encourage you to go back and watch him with an open mind.

EDIT:  Now that I've seen the whole game, I will give you that Damezi played a little passive a couple of times down low when he could have helped more on the interior, but I watched the whole game and while I saw a couple of freshman mistakes, I honestly saw more mistakes from Romeo and even saw him lose his man for a wide-open 3 attempt.  No question, Romeo is the jewel of the freshman class, but defensively, I don't really see him ahead of Damezi or at least not appreciably ahead of him.  Damezi showed me more positives than I expected this game, given the early comments I read before watching.  Kid has huge potential and all these early minutes due to injury will only help him develop faster.

I’ve said it on this site in a couple of previous posts about Damezi, he’s just not fully ready yet for the speed of the game on defense. As a freshman he is going to have his mind preoccupied and racing which causes confusion for him. Right now on defense he has to learn to retrain his lower body and get his base wider and more maneuverable. He has his base too close together to make maximum effect on sliding his feet to keep up. He will get that figured out, and by next year his defensive posture will be improved. He knows his defense is behind where his heart wants it’s to be. I don’t expect his confidence on his 3 point shot to be where he’d like it to be until he gets comfortable on defense. His HS coaches never taught basic fundamental on defense so he was one that relied on his athleticism to get him by in HS. So my assessment is that his footwork sucks on defense right now. His help awareness is lacking in forward thinking, and i noticed it even more in this game than any other so far he needs to learn to be more forceful in looking for a body to put his on around the basket. The one that stood out for me the most was not getting in position in front of the basket and anticipating the pass to gafford down the center for the catch and dunk. He had plenty of time to anticipate that pass, or to get in front of the basket to take a charge. So his eyes need to expand more. Let’s compare his footwork next year at this time to where it is now...and just understand that he will continue to get exposed with all of these early minutes.

This game and all it's negatives will help us more than hurt us. You gotta realize, IU has been in the headlines alot this past couple of years, especially this year,...We have a promising new coach, excellent recruiting class with top Indiana kids and finally playing some respectable and exciting basketball. 

Coaches know the history of Indiana, so we are always gonna get everyone's best, especially on the road. This game was not a bad loss, just frustrating. If Davis goes up and dunks that ball, the game is most likely over. 

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

Morgan needs to play 30 min or more in this type of tight game. I think we're going to see this pattern a lot throughout the season. As Morgan being the centerpiece of this team, opponents' first assignment will be to attack Morgan early in the game to take him out.

I'm getting a bit disappointed in Smith as well. He's got a pro-level athleticism and body with developing skill sets, but he seems to lack intangibles at this point. If he played aggressive and gave other guys some breathing room, the game would've been much easier. I mean overall our team didn't match Arkansas' intensity but Smith just stood out to me. Smith needs to look in the mirror and understands he's got all the tools to compete at the higher level instead of getting timid and riding the pine in the critical moment of the game. 

If Morgan and Rob do not get into foul trouble, IU wins the game.  Even in foul trouble, if IU has one or two of the 4 missing(Green/McRoberts/Race/Hunter) we win the game.  I know my two points were what if situations but only losing by 1 in their environment, with the issues that we had, I was still intrigued.  This was a great test/experience for this team this early on in the year and will only make them better during BIG TEN play.  They will learn and get better from this. 

Even though it's a loss, I'm still pretty excited about this team.  They didn't play well, several key freshmen played in their first ever road game, and they still battled back from ten down to almost win.

Regardless of all the contributing factors that led to the tie score at the end of the game, IU lost for two reasons:

1.) Two missed layups

2.) An SEC ref calling a game on the SEC network called a foul on a rebound that any impartial ref would never call

Archived