Arkansas post game

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all saw what needs addressed.  I'm sure Arkansas knew they stole one from us. At the end, the Razorbacks were playing on their heals, we could not get out of our own way and we just couldn't seal the deal. Now we learn and move on.

I don't buy the SEC ref blame game...It happens in every conference including the BIG ten. Most good teams play through bad calls and overcome. We are not there yet, BUT are headed in the right direction quickly.

Overall in hindsight, there were a lot of factors that didn't go our way. If and only if one of them worked to our favor, we would've come out with a W. Watching the game, I was constantly surprised by the fact that we maintained the game within the striking distance when I felt like overall we were dominated by them. Guess that's because of good defense. Even when we're not playing well, we still give ourselves a good chance to win. 

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The little p in the arrow just to the left of the Bonus+ shows it was in favor of the Razorbacks

Screenshot_20181119-093424_YouTube.jpg

Thank you.  I have had several high school officials, tell me that they are fully aware of who will have possession in case of a jump ball. I always do to ensure not wasting a time out but if Arkansas would have possession it makes the call by the official even worse. Like I said HS refs have said that if the team with the ball will retain no way they make a call at end of game, if possession would change and they felt a foul led to the jump ball then you call it. 

I am not faulting RP in any way glad he looked to penetrate. This photo does suggest jump stop kick to JM and he has a drive at a layup  What a guard gets to the spot draws the D and he is only gonna get better. Not a game I am going to complain much about on to the next.

5 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

We essentially have four guys rotating through three of our on-court positions. And they are three freshmen and one sophomore. Their first test in a road environment. There is no reason to be worried, in my opinion. We need Green and McBob back something fierce. Just hope they are back by Northwestern.

agree. This loss will result in a win or 2 that we be much bigger.

only thing to really take away is that excellent shooting will still take us out of games, and that Daniel Gafford is a legitimate NBA prospect. What a monster game by him that was honestly just impressive to watch. I thought we hit some big shots down the stretch, a little bit of free throw issues but improving in that regard as well. They had a great crowd, and it was a competitive game and we rose to that competition. Bad calls aside, we still threw this one away and that really hurts since a road win like that would be so nice to have in the new quadrant ranking model.

I'm hoping we can just move on from this with a better understanding of what can go wrong when we don't know how to react to constant pressing, and also more aware of what would be a bad pass in a given situation. Saw way too much careless passing particularly from Romeo, and in a game where you lose by 1 it makes those few single mistakes stand out even harder. Still plenty to be excited about (Romeo hits 3s now!), but damn what a tough loss to stomach.

1 hour ago, HSRecruitingNews said:

I think we should've kept Juwan in for longer in the first half, limit minute sure, but keeping him out the whole time is what lost it.  I would rather he play all he can and foul out than just have him at the end.

I thought for sure he would come in for a couple minutes when Gafford went to the bench

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I tried following the game online while tailgating at Soldier Field. Sure glad I missed this one by the sounds of it. Early season lessons though are very, very important. I don't mind taking a hit if it means we're better because of it.

At least the Bears victory eased the sting a little bit! 

Another winner from the rivals board

I am insulted that we are ranked behind Iowa, OSU, Purdue, and Wisconsin. I mean, look how good OSU is yet again. Holtman has a roster close to what we had last year and hes winning with no excuses. Yesterdays loss is embarrassing. No two ways around it. You cant come in there and lay an egg like that. People will think I'm an A-hole. That's fine. I'm just being honest. IU basketball continues to underachieve.

Just can't believe that there are this many IU fans that are morons but here is another one.

It’s not all Archie but there’s no two ways around it...he’s underachieved big time on the court so far.

His loyal followers can run around here and anoint him all they want (just like they did for Crean), but this is just another example of him being out coached by a team with far less talent.

Our D made no adjustments whatsoever, it turned into Crean ball offense at the end, and don’t even get me started on that last drive with 10 seconds left and plenty of TOs. No excuse to lose that game

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am insulted that we are ranked behind Iowa, OSU, Purdue, and Wisconsin. I mean, look how good OSU is yet again. Holtman has a roster close to what we had last year and hes winning with no excuses. Yesterdays loss is embarrassing. No two ways around it. You cant come in there and lay an egg like that. People will think I'm an A-hole. That's fine. I'm just being honest. IU basketball continues to underachieve.

Just can't believe that there are this many IU fans that are morons but here is another one.

It’s not all Archie but there’s no two ways around it...he’s underachieved big time on the court so far.

His loyal followers can run around here and anoint him all they want (just like they did for Crean), but this is just another example of him being out coached by a team with far less talent.

Our D made no adjustments whatsoever, it turned into Crean ball offense at the end, and don’t even get me started on that last drive with 10 seconds left and plenty of TOs. No excuse to lose that game

People are just upset as we haven't won much lately.  Had we made the tourney last season there wouldn't be much outcry.  We need to make a deep tourney run this season or the mob will be coming I assure you and rightfully so.  I will give you that the Rivals board is ridiculous.  It's basically our version of Rupp Rafters.

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

People are just upset as we haven't won much lately.  Had we made the tourney last season there wouldn't be much outcry.  We need to make a deep tourney run this season or the mob will be coming I assure you and rightfully so.  I will give you that the Rivals board is ridiculous.  It's basically our version of Rupp Rafters.

Our fans just look silly when they come with the torches and pitchforks after a single loss like that.  I expect that from dumb Kentucky fans, but I thought our fans were a tad more mature/intelligent and a tad less entitled than that.  I guess there are idiots in every group.

...and no, I disagree that the mob has any right to run this coach out of town if he gets upset in his first NCAA tournament at IU.  That's just ridiculous.

19 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I have stayed away from the basketball board for a couple of months but wanted to see their there  reaction and was not disappointed.  If you think it is that bad why do you still go over there and today was the first I posted anything and will be the last.

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

At least the Bears victory eased the sting a little bit! 

Yes it did! I no longer get worked up about preseason losses. We'll get more out of that loss instead of beating some sub 300Lower Maryland Baltimore County presented by Avon Barksdale by 50. 

Get these this week. Start off conference at 2-0 and Arkansas will be a distant memory.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I'm scared that I could cheer for the same team as whatever moron wrote that. Scary stuff. 

Guys.  It's early. We'll be just fine. Heck of a game with not one, not two, not three, but four..... yes, four rotation players unable to play.  Just let that sink in for a while. Take a positive look at that.  Guys who might not have gotten in, but, due to the injuries, got valuable game time experience.  On the road, in a hostile environment, no less.  And look at De'Ron.  That's gonna pay off in the end. Forget about the missed bunny, and the home cooking.The flop and call for traveling against De'Ron was horrendous.And the one new call for this year, won't be called once conference play starts. That happens every year.   Rather,  think about the contributions De'Ron gave us. More game time, than I would have ever expected, given Archie's pre-season statement that De'Ron would only be getting spot time, till January, at the very earliest.  I have seen it on other boards.... people questioning why De'Ron did not dunk the ball at the end of the game.  Come on people !  He's coming back from a devastating injury !  Not only is he building his conditioning... he is building his confidence in his legs. 

Just take a breath, some of you.  Our freshmen gained a ton of experience in our loss to Arkansas.  Even Romeo.  And who cares where we are ranked right now ?  Just as long as we make it to the NCAAT, is all that matters.  And we gained a ton of experience in which to help us along in our journey to the Final Four. 

Edit to add :

Continue to pray for Jerome.  No, I don't have any update to report.  Just that he continues to be in my thoughts and prayers.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Our fans just look silly when they come with the torches and pitchforks after a single loss like that.  I expect that from dumb Kentucky fans, but I thought our fans were a tad more mature/intelligent and a tad less entitled than that.  I guess there are idiots in every group.

...and no, I disagree that the mob has any right to run this coach out of town if he gets upset in his first NCAA tournament at IU.  That's just ridiculous.

There are hundreds of thousands of IU fans across the country a few hundred people on message boards really doesn't mean anything!  It is just some entertainment for people. I agree some are idiots and I think they do it on purpose just to upset the more level headed thinkers 

22 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Also Demezi should not have played so many minutes because it is clear he has no clue how to play defense.  We got absolutely nothing from Smith and Fitzner and still had a chance to win the game so that should be some encouragement.

Maybe, but this was surely a game where we missed our depth.  He played so many minutes because Devonte and Rob were not available.  However, I believe the largest missing piece is/was Jerome Hunter.  He is supposed to be our stud big guy coming in to spell Morgan and Smith.  Fitzner is very good, but he's not the beast type of player needed to offset types like Gafford and Williamson coming soon with Duke.  Plus, we need a strong forward who can shoot mid range jumpers as well as be heavy on the boards.  I think he was supposed to be that guy.  We never lose this game with a full team.  We almost won it anyway, and we probably should have.  I do not fault Phinessee for taking the layup.  Nine out of ten times that shot would go in and/or he would get fouled.  Devon's tip also was clean and should have gone in, but it didn't.  The layup left enough time for a tip in, so no problems there.  The foul call at the end should not have happened, and Archie's time out before the FT's is certainly a head scratcher.  The biggest negatives are that it was a road game, so we still have not won one, and it probably keeps us out of the rankings.  Hopefully, except for Duke, we can survive the rest of November, but some guys have to get back before Butler, Louisville, and the early BT games.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Here's the problem.  We just lost a game we were supposed to win.  It happens.  Upsets happen we all get that. The problem is that we're almost always on the opposite side.  Last year we lost 4, FW, ISU, Illinois, and Rutgers where we were the clear favorite.  We only pulled off 1 upset against ND and I'm not sure that was really an upset as I believe they were missing a couple of their best guys.  So we are now 1-5 in that regard during the Archie era in upsets we pulled off vs us being upset.  That just can't happen.  By the law of averages if you lose some that you were favored in you should win a few that you were the underdog in.  We need wins at Cameron, Mackey, and the Breslin Center just to get back to par.

Archived