• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game Preview

When: Saturday, 11/24 at 12pm ET on ESPN2

Vegas: Purdue -4

ESPN: 37% chance of IU victory

Sagarin: Purdue #39, IU #64

S&P+: Purdue #42, IU #80. 37% chance of IU victory with an expected margin of Purdue winning by 6.

S&P+ Ranks

Offense: IU 81, Purdue 17

Defense: IU 75, Purdue 74

Special Teams: IU 42, Purdue 70

8F42FB22-EABD-493D-A342-A24F4260ADE9.gif

Random thoughts. 

1.  I see Raekwon Jones is back. Good for him, but one of my favorite players is Micah McFadden and I wonder if McFadden isn’t better.  I don’t mean potentially better someday, I mean better now.  I saw 47 flash earlier in the season, and I thought that kid is a “football player.”   I looked him up.  I believe he was ranked on the lower side of our last recruiting class so he was a surprise to me that he burst onto the scene quicker than some other guys.  

2.  People complain about our defense, but if Allen can get all three levels staffed properly, the defense can excel.  Right now, the defensive line is not holding up IMO.  A guy like Everett is a try harder guy but he’s not explosive. We have got some stiffs up front.  But, next year we have a four star in Beau Robbins and freshman James Head is flashing.  There are some defensive tackles in the oven who may bring more athleticism.  You like stout guys at tackle for sure, but we need better quickness on the interior and more rush on the edges.  I like our talent at LB, S, and CB, maybe the best we’ve ever had overall.  Marcellino Ball may be the best player on the team.  Devon Mathews looks really good.  Cam Jones is a heat seeking missile.  Fitzgerald is a stud.  Burgess got beat in Minnesota but he’s a talented kid.  There are a number of good athletes at corner.  The LB corps has some nice young talent from McFadden to James Miller and others.  Aaron Casey got a shout out from the coach yesterday as scout player of the week so you know he’s coming.   We just can’t play whack a mole with personnel.  You know, solve defensive line but the safeties slip or whatever.  I think Allen has a very keen eye for the types of players he wants on the field.  In today’s game, every defense is going to give up points — it’s just the way the game is set up these days.  You can excel and give up 23 points but still hopefully win.  The OSU v Maryland game was, what, 52-51?  

3.  One big factor in why we are playing better is Peyton Ramsey.  He’s shown moxie and more confidence lately.  Penix is a big talent, but we don’t know about his durability yet.  He’s got those spindly legs.  Ramsey is not perfect but he’s shown better command lately. 

4.  Hendershot is playing more and more.  This kid is an athlete.  I hope we scheme him some plays to feature him.   He can be dangerous in space.  

5.  The O line is playing better now than the start of the year to my eye.  

6.  We need to come out with our hair on fire and sustain it.  Last year, IU’s players were on their heels the whole way, which is incomprehensible.  

Interesting Brohm info I was just told. I do not have a source, but am passing along information that perked my interest. .......I just met with my new insurance rep, and he noticed my IU shirt. He then mentioned that he had season football and basketball tickets as well and would be at the bucket game. I thought he was an IU fan until he told me he lived in West Lafayette and his daughter was a Purdue Football manager. He said one of her responsibilities was Brohm's head set. 

So...I asked him the obvious question, "Do you thing he is leaving?" He quickly said,..."He is not going anywhere. He and his family love it here." I then asked him, "What makes you say that?" He said,  "He as already told the players and managers that he is staying at Purdue." He also said that Purdue is willing to pay him $6 million annually. Who knows how much truth there is to this, but I have a sneaky feeling that Brohm is going to stay at Purdue. 

33 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Interesting Brohm info I was just told. I do not have a source, but am passing along information that perked my interest. .......I just met with my new insurance rep, and he noticed my IU shirt. He then mentioned that he had season football and basketball tickets as well and would be at the bucket game. I thought he was an IU fan until he told me he lived in West Lafayette and his daughter was a Purdue Football manager. He said one of her responsibilities was Brohm's head set. 

So...I asked him the obvious question, "Do you thing he is leaving?" He quickly said,..."He is not going anywhere. He and his family love it here." I then asked him, "What makes you say that?" He said,  "He as already told the players and managers that he is staying at Purdue." He also said that Purdue is willing to pay him $6 million annually. Who knows how much truth there is to this, but I have a sneaky feeling that Brohm is going to stay at Purdue. 

If true that is why the info of him to UL was intentionally leaked to DD. Get PU max offer. Thank you for sharing.  

5 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Appreciate the info. We’ve heard some rumblings of $6 million a year thrown around on our board too and it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if that’s what goes down. A huge increase for him and for his assistants too. If he turns down Louisville, I think it would be a huge deal with regards to Purdue receiving a lot of attention and it would really help in recruiting too I’d think. 

16 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Appreciate the info. We’ve heard some rumblings of $6 million a year thrown around on our board too and it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if that’s what goes down. A huge increase for him and for his assistants too. If he turns down Louisville, I think it would be a huge deal with regards to Purdue receiving a lot of attention and it would really help in recruiting too I’d think. 

I agree. I am not sold that UL is a better gig than Purdue. You would have to do a lot of selling to convince me of that. Basketball maybe football I dont think so.

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree. I am not sold that UL is a better gig than Purdue. You would have to do a lot of selling to convince me of that. Basketball maybe football I dont think so.

Basketball (scandal aside) I think for sure you could. But let’s be honest, this is only a discussion IMO because of Brohm’s ties to the school/town. If he was from somewhere else and didn’t play at UL, this wouldn’t even be a thing. 

5 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

So, sounds to me like Purdue is willing to overpay for a guy who may/may not be worth it.

At best, Brohm coaches PU to a 6-6 record this year, with one win v a highly overrated OSU as the game he’s hanging his hat on. 

If we win the Bucket on Saturday, as an underdog home team, I would get a little antsy about making a long term commitment to the guy. He’s coaching in the easier half of the B1G, and at best, will finish 3rd-4th. He lost an embarrassing game against Eastern Michigan because his team was undisciplined—a direct reflection on the coaching staff...

The more I think about it, maybe IU is better off if $6 million is wasted on Brohm, who clearly hasn’t done enough to deserve it 

12 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, sounds to me like Purdue is willing to overpay for a guy who may/may not be worth it.

At best, Brohm coaches PU to a 6-6 record this year, with one win v a highly overrated OSU as the game he’s hanging his hat on. 

If we win the Bucket on Saturday, as an underdog home team, I would get a little antsy about making a long term commitment to the guy. He’s coaching in the easier half of the B1G, and at best, will finish 3rd-4th. He lost an embarrassing game against Eastern Michigan because his team was undisciplined—a direct reflection on the coaching staff...

The more I think about it, maybe IU is better off if $6 million is wasted on Brohm, who clearly hasn’t done enough to deserve it 

1. It isn’t just the OSU game he’s hanging his hat on. He has 3 Top 25 wins this year. Yes there have been bad losses but he still has a roster with significant depth issues from the previous regime. 

2. Average attendance in Hazell’s last year was about 35k. This year it’s over 50k. The fans came back and they came back quicker than almost anyone expected. 

3. He’s on the verge of signing the best class in Purdue history and is starting to finally build depth after he was left with some solid players but no depth. 

4. Purdue signing him to a deal worth $6 million a year shows their commitment to their football program and can help with recruiting showing we’ll do whatever it takes to build a winner. 

5. Purdue is on the verge of back-to-back bowl seasons with mostly 2/3 star talent and guys that didn’t even have other P5 offers. Think what Brohm will be able to do when he gets his own players in the program. 

If you had been through what Purdue went through the last 4 years and then saw what Brohm did to resurrect the program, you’re telling me you wouldn’t gamble and pay him $6 million a year? Think about it. Guys like David Bell wouldn’t have even mentioned Purdue at all before Brohm got here (he’s on record saying he wasn’t looking at Purdue at all beforehand). The fact he has the chance to get Purdue to back to back bowl games to me is nothing short of miraculous. Purdue hasn’t had this much buzz in 15 years. You do whatever it takes to keep that going. 

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

1. It isn’t just the OSU game he’s hanging his hat on. He has 3 Top 25 wins this year. Yes there have been bad losses but he still has a roster with significant depth issues from the previous regime. 

2. Average attendance in Hazell’s last year was about 35k. This year it’s over 50k. The fans came back and they came back quicker than almost anyone expected. 

3. He’s on the verge of signing the best class in Purdue history and is starting to finally build depth after he was left with some solid players but no depth. 

4. Purdue signing him to a deal worth $6 million a year shows their commitment to their football program and can help with recruiting showing we’ll do whatever it takes to build a winner. 

5. Purdue is on the verge of back-to-back bowl seasons with mostly 2/3 star talent and guys that didn’t even have other P5 offers. Think what Brohm will be able to do when he gets his own players in the program. 

If you had been through what Purdue went through the last 4 years and then saw what Brohm did to resurrect the program, you’re telling me you wouldn’t gamble and pay him $6 million a year? Think about it. Guys like David Bell wouldn’t have even mentioned Purdue at all before Brohm got here (he’s on record saying he wasn’t looking at Purdue at all beforehand). The fact he has the chance to get Purdue to back to back bowl games to me is nothing short of miraculous. Purdue hasn’t had this much buzz in 15 years. You do whatever it takes to keep that going. 

I appreciate and enjoy your input on this board. Saying no to the hometown school?? I just don't see it happening. If he does...it's because he has bigger sights in mind. Nothing against Purdue. I think they get overlooked (nationally and regionally) on how good of a program they were for years but saying no to the hometown opportunity? We shall see.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I appreciate and enjoy your input on this board. Saying no to the hometown school?? I just don't see it happening. If he does...it's because he has bigger sights in mind. Nothing against Purdue. I think they get overlooked (nationally and regionally) on how good of a program they were for years but saying no to the hometown opportunity? We shall see.

I don’t think he’ll be at Purdue forever. But I could see it being something where if Purdue offers him more than Louisville wants or can offer, it might make the decision right then and there you know? Will be interesting to see 

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If PU ponys up 6 mil a year that will keep him there for a long time as that will be a top 10 salary.  Would take a playoff appearance before another school would want to buy out that contract and increase his salary. 

9 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

If he can get 6 mil a year he may be a better salesman than a coach

Archived