Indiana vs Duke Pregame Thread

rbkl

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I’m saying it’s not apples to apples, McBob has the ball for a limited amount of time, you can’t draw that direct comparison 

That's a fair point. Green turns it over a ton compared to the guys that do have his same share of possessions, though. Green coming back isn't going to help our turnover problem.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Game Preview

When: Tuesday 11/26 at 9:30pm ET on ESPN

Vegas: Duke -13.5

ESPN: 23% chance of IU victory

KenPom: IU: #22, Duke: #1. 16% chance of IU victory, predicts final score of Duke 82, IU 71

IU Scouting Report

image.png.095908a83a4d5ae20cf605abc3ae22ca.png

Duke Scouting Report

image.png.31427067a9e3c66b5644aeee1a7d6d81.png

Duke is obviously rated higher in both offense and defensive efficiency. While our ability to take care of the ball has plummeted to 238th in the nation, Duke has the 14th best turnover percentage in the nation. They don't force a lot of turnovers, so hopefully that helps us out in a hostile environment. They are a fantastic offensive rebounding team. They actually don't have the best shooting numbers...we are better both from distance and from two point range. We both suck at free throws.

We will need to take care of the ball way better than we have been, keep Duke from crashing the offensive glass, and continue our hot shooting (third in the nation) to have a chance in this one.

I want to point out, that in the two games he played, McBob had a zero percent turnover rate. Next closest to him on the team is Romeo, with a 16% turnover rate. In the same games as McBob, Devonte had a 31% turnover rate, the worst on the team.

I feel a lot better seeing this honestly. We can turn Duke over and get some easy buckets. We have got to get bodies on them and rebound well, though. 

8 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

That's a fair point. Green turns it over a ton compared to the guys that do have his same share of possessions, though. Green coming back isn't going to help our turnover problem.

Yeah it's important that Green limit his TO's for sure. Goes hand in hand with his making better on-ball decisions. Here's to hoping --

17 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah it's important that Green limit his TO's for sure. Goes hand in hand with his making better on-ball decisions. Here's to hoping --

Here's my only issue with Green. Sometimes team ball takes a little bit of a back seat to him. Sometimes I'm cool with that but when you add a little bit of selfish, big stage of at Duke...I worry about he and perhaps some of the guys trying to get noticed before executing team possessions. Just a thought. Not backed up by any stats.

7 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I predict TV Ted will have called 7 fouls on Morgan before the half.  Four of them will be called while he is on the bench.  :coffee:

51 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Dude, pick (almost) any pee-wee basketball coach at a YMCA in Indiana and they'd do the same thing.  It's not exactly on the same level as out running the Runnin Rebels.

5 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

One of my favorite IU vs. Duke moments is when A. J. Moye blocked Carlos Boozer in the NCAA tournament. IU went on to knock of then #1 Duke. Carlos Boozer was 6' 9" and 280 lb....s. I don't think any of us thought that we were going to win that game......but we did. Check out the article and video below.

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdpDpH5_nC8

Moye's blocked shot of Carlos Boozer's dunk attempt at the pinnacle of a 17-point second half comeback in the 2002 tournament is one of my all-time favorite Hoosier moments in one of my all-time favorite Hoosier victories.

Not only did Moye provide the everlasting poster-perfect blocked shot, but he even provided a classic Moye quote before the game even started: 

"It's not like they're the University of Jesus Christ and we're playing the Twelve Disciples.  It's just Duke.  Duke is just a name on a jersey."
The quote, the block, and all the game highlights are captured brilliantly in the below 14-minute youtube video.  I don't care how many times you have seen this, it is well-worth watching again and again.  The make of the video (etecnifibre) includes the Hoosiers movie music during the second-half come-back and then includes the Don Fischer radio call for the end of the game.  Literally gives me chills every time.

AJ is one of my all time favorite IUBB players. Always loved the A J More chants of the crowds.  Pound for Pound one of the toughest and grittiest players we've ever had.  I think we have a chanced against Duke if Justin Smith would play with just half Moye's attitude.  Smith IS the X factor in this game. If he would either finish strong or get fouled while going to the rim we actually could match up with Duke.  Smith's soft, timid, almost feckless play is more of a difference to this team than Green and McBob's injuries in my opinion.  IF Smith finishes strong to the rim we are a totally different team.

6 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I forget who coined the term, but you are basically fouling out your own players if you take them out too early. Especially when they never even pick up a 3rd or 4th foul. 

16 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I can understand being pessimistic, but get beat by 40? We may lose, and it may be by double digits (although I don't think so), but no way we get beat by 40.

Each to their own opinion.  But with the injuries we have and the way we have been playing, at home even.  We're going into a hostile environment against arguably one of the best team in college basketball who just came off a huge loss to Gonzaga.  I think they are going to put it to us and wear us down quickly.

I hope i am wrong and we put up a great showing and keep it to low double.  I just don't see it

Archived