Indiana vs Duke Pregame Thread

rbkl

Not good at always finding what  I want but many of you are great at it. Is there some data that supports teams returning from Maui struggling a little in that first game back. Fatigue could come into play. In Coack k was not thrilled with the effort in Maui maje no mistakes he would run them into the ground . He would to a certain extent make his team a little weaker for this game to prepare and show them what he expects. 

For those reasons plus our pride our coach and the Senior leaders on this team we will be in this game. I would much rather go into this game as a fan excited than to have already written us off.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not good at always finding what  I want but many of you are great at it. Is there some data that supports teams returning from Maui struggling a little in that first game back. Fatigue could come into play. In Coack k was not thrilled with the effort in Maui maje no mistakes he would run them into the ground . He would to a certain extent make his team a little weaker for this game to prepare and show them what he expects. 

For those reasons plus our pride our coach and the Senior leaders on this team we will be in this game. I would much rather go into this game as a fan excited than to have already written us off.

Well last year Duke came back from those games that were played in Portland for Nike and we were their first game after and they struggled a little bit.  I also remember the 2002-03 team playing in Alaska and our first game back was at UNC and we killed them so I don't know if their any correlation from long travel and playing bad the next game.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well last year Duke came back from those games that were played in Portland for Nike and we were their first game after and they struggled a little bit.  I also remember the 2002-03 team playing in Alaska and our first game back was at UNC and we killed them so I don't know if their any correlation from long travel and playing bad the next game.

Might just be my wishful thinking 

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Might just be my wishful thinking 

Well the Maui has changed their format...used to be the championship was on Sunday.  I remember we played in it in '90.  Got beat by Syracuse in the championship game on Sunday.  We played Notre Dame shortly there after and squeaked out a win.  That Irish team was God awful.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Well the Maui has changed their format...used to be the championship was on Sunday.  I remember we played in it in '90.  Got beat by Syracuse in the championship game on Sunday.  We played Notre Dame shortly there after and squeaked out a win.  That Irish team was God awful.

I also thought that game in 90 started real late as well because I watched it but had to get up early the next morning to go to class.

55 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Didn't we lose by close to 50 a few years ago to duke and then turned our season around after that?  When Blackmon got hurt?  That Duke team was this talented and that Indiana Team was more talented that this one

Already pointed out but we lost by 20. That's possible. We're not going to lose by 50, even depleted this team is 5-1 and really should be 6-0 but for a missed tip in at Ark. If we have Green and McBob I think we'll make a game of it. If we have just one of them I'd still bet on us being in the 10-point range or so. 

We've also had a little more time to prep for this game, there's plenty of game film for our guys to have gone over, and Morgan and Romeo will be fully pumped up for this game. It's Cameron -- where getting a fair game is like winning the lottery -- but if we're close to full strength I think we'll see a good game from our guys.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Never seen any data. It seems to be a logical thought. Might just be be a handy excuse? 

So many unknowns here. Starting with the availability and readiness of our guys. Is Duke in chaos after a loss or going to play their most focused game of the year? I hope they are taking us lightly. Not being ranked might be a benefit?

I'm fully expecting a football type game. One where we play even, maybe lead for a bit but eventually falter late in the game. Playing well enough to get your hopes up and thinking maybe we can win there. I figure if I keep my expectations low, I can't be too crushed by a loss and a W will be even sweeter. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

We were at home i think

10 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I would go absolutely insane if Bill Walton was one of the commentators!!! I just pray that he never does one of our games. I can not believe that he is paid money to call college games!

Yeah Walton is nuts. With Bilas, I like his commentating outside of Duke games. He's such an unabashed arrogant homer it's nauseating, though otherwise he's knowledgeable and generally provides good commentary.

58 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Already pointed out but we lost by 20. That's possible. We're not going to lose by 50, even depleted this team is 5-1 and really should be 6-0 but for a missed tip in at Ark. If we have Green and McBob I think we'll make a game of it. If we have just one of them I'd still bet on us being in the 10-point range or so. 

We've also had a little more time to prep for this game, there's plenty of game film for our guys to have gone over, and Morgan and Romeo will be fully pumped up for this game. It's Cameron -- where getting a fair game is like winning the lottery -- but if we're close to full strength I think we'll see a good game from our guys.

I said we lose by 40.  But i was being more pessimistically sarcastic than anything.  I do think its 25+ and that happens in the last half of the 2nd half.  We just don't have the bodies to throw at them down our bench

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I said we lose by 40.  But i was being more pessimistically sarcastic than anything.  I do think its 25+ and that happens in the last half of the 2nd half.  We just don't have the bodies to throw at them down our bench

I was referring to your 'close to 50 a few years ago to Duke.' It could end up 25+, Duke is loaded and we've been significantly hampered by injuries and playing guys in rotations who haven't even practiced together in those rotations, as CAM commented. Yep, our bench was deep but has been anything but. Still, if we get McBob and Green back, I think we'll show a lot better than that.

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah Walton is nuts. With Bilas, I like his commentating outside of Duke games. He's such an unabashed arrogant homer it's nauseating, though otherwise he's knowledgeable and generally provides good commentary.

He usually uses the 1st half to go overboard praising the other team so as not to be branded a homer, but breaks out the blue and white pom poms in the 2nd half.

55 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Someone said Smith is/can be a real x factor. I agree. If he can come out aggressively attacking the basket and keep it up, together with Morgan, Romeo and Phin we could really surprise. Kid has boatloads up promise.

This is a golden opportunity for a player like Smith. It will be televised nationally and because of the Dukie trio and our own Langford, lots of NBA scouts will watch the game. And the only way we can somehow slow them down is to attack hard right out of the gate and make them play both ends of the court. If we get timid, start slow, and let them get into their rhythm, it'll be a LONG night. I hope our guys have nothing-to-lose mentality and leave everything on the court. If we play fearlessly but still lose by 20, I''ll gladly take it. 

Archived