Indiana vs Duke Pregame Thread

rbkl

41 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Someone said Smith is/can be a real x factor. I agree. If he can come out aggressively attacking the basket and keep it up, together with Morgan, Romeo and Phin we could really surprise. Kid has boatloads up promise.

Smith is most definitely an X factor. Hope he can elevate his game on the big stage. Will be very important for his future NBA aspirations.

Along with Smith, you can say the same about a few others.

Rob will be looking to measure his game against Jones. I could see this develop into a Yogi/ Marcus Paige type battle over the years. 

Romeo will also be in front of a lot of NBA scouts and being compared to Dukes big 3. Will want to validate his draft potential.

And then there is Morgan. The most experienced of the bunch. I hope he plays inspired and abuses the Duke freshman. This game could really elevate his national profile if comes up with another 30-10 performance. 

Hopefully De'Ron can relive his fond memories of his game vs Duke last year. Will need his size in there tonight. 

Add in Zach as the glue guy making his return and splashing in some 3s to go along with his D and the potential is there to make a game out of it tonight. 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

If we get in foul trouble, we lose all chances of winning IMO.  The refs cannot bail Duke out either.  This game isn't some low end small town college in the boondocks vs Duke.  Its two all time great D-1 schools going up against each other.  If its a true foul call it, if its ticky tack fouls forget it. 

K will still manipulate officiating. When he could do that in a championship game, he would have no problem in Durham, on a court that has his name on it. 

Not rocket science here, but beyond things like foul trouble going our way, we need the group of Smith, Phinisee, Fitzner and Green to have big games. To beat a team like Duke, especially on the road, you need your role players to come up big, and you need a strong shooting night from deep from some guys. Role players need to take care of the ball, not force things and make the open shots they get. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not rocket science here, but beyond things like foul trouble going our way, we need the group of Smith, Phinisee, Fitzner and Green to have big games. To beat a team like Duke, especially on the road, you need your role players to come up big, and you need a strong shooting night from deep from some guys. Role players need to take care of the ball, not force things and make the open shots they get. 

Completely agree with you on all counts here... one thing that I’ll add is transition defense. We need to get back on every single shot attempt. We can run, but they clearly score a good chunk of their points in transition. 

56 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You did, that's some crazy good shooting, even in warmup

Eh.....i started a total of 1 varsity game in hs and maybe played 20 minutes my senior year.  I had the other teams coach flipping out cuz i hit 25 in a row in pre game warm ups.  You woulda thought i was steph curry when the game started.  If the guy guarding me woulda got any closer we woulda been wearing the same shorts.

7 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Completely agree with you on all counts here... one thing that I’ll add is transition defense. We need to get back on every single shot attempt. We can run, but they clearly score a good chunk of their points in transition. 

And to add to your point, you really can't let Zion start getting a bunch of dunks in transition. If you give him a few early the lid will blow off the place and it will be hard to bounce back from that. 

You know what? To hell with this. We're Indiana, not some second rate basketball school. Our basketball legacy is longer and just as distinguished as theirs is. We're as much of a Blueblood as they are. No moral victories. Our coach isn't afraid. Let's go out there and beat their hind ends...

Go IU, FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You know what? To hell with this. We're Indiana, not some second rate basketball school. Our basketball legacy is longer and just as distinguished as theirs is. We're as much of a Blueblood as they are. No moral victories. Our coach isn't afraid. Let's go out there and beat their hind ends...

Go IU, FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

Amen!!

1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

Eh.....i started a total of 1 varsity game in hs and maybe played 20 minutes my senior year.  I had the other teams coach flipping out cuz i hit 25 in a row in pre game warm ups.  You woulda thought i was steph curry when the game started.  If the guy guarding me woulda got any closer we woulda been wearing the same shorts.

haha -- laughing aside, that's pretty damn impressive

58 minutes ago, BGleas said:

And to add to your point, you really can't let Zion start getting a bunch of dunks in transition. If you give him a few early the lid will blow off the place and it will be hard to bounce back from that. 

Easier said than done. The guy is a monster. Who do we have that can stop Zion? I'd bet on some 2-3 zone and trying to force Duke to hit outside shots but still.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Easier said than done. The guy is a monster. Who do we have that can stop Zion? I'd bet on some 2-3 zone and trying to force Duke to hit outside shots but still.

I'm saying stop him from getting easy transition dunks. The way you do that is by hustling back on D, hitting open shots and not only limiting turnovers in general but especially live ball turnovers. I'd be very surprised to see any zone tonight, only because I don't think I've every seen Archie go zone. 

1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

I guess that explains your screen name.

Archived