Old Oaken Bucket Game Thread

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Payday said:

Lol, so no way out? Screw that, I like the roof option better, at least it forces a direction.

Well there is a way out, it took Bill Murray about 10 years to find the right path according to internet nerds.  So either IU is due or if you cont each season as one Groundhog Day we have a long way to go lol.

Glass is not going anywhere.

He convinces huge donors to contribute the $$$ for the AH renovations.

He has overseen the construction of the basketball practice facilities as well as the additions to the football facilities.

Other than football, he has multiple programs trending up— both basketball programs, men’s soccer, swimming, baseball.

Football is the golden goose, but we have never been good regardless of who the AD is. Until we fall flat on our face Fred will be safe

32 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

He has overseen the construction of the basketball practice facilities as well as the additions to the football facilities.

Other than football, he has multiple programs trending up— both basketball programs, men’s soccer, swimming, baseball.

Football is the golden goose, but we have never been good regardless of who the AD is. Until we fall flat on our face Fred will be safe

While I understand what you are saying, that type of attitude is a concern. We could bring in anyone to raise money, there are people out there who are very good at that and could match that effort. The “trending up” is what concerns me. Glass is not new, if these programs are trending up wouldn’t you agree he holds some accountability for allowing them to trend down in the first place? And keeping someone because they took a below average program and moved it up is the same mentality that got us a bad coach and a program headed the wrong way. Allen took a horrible defense, took it over after the previous DC took the hit playing young players, and moved them to average. It wasn’t his first coaching moment where he did that. And one could argue that the players being a year older had as much to do with it as the coach. 

I don’t know what the answers are, and the frustration of the day probably prevents any of us from a sound decision/analysis, but Glass’ failing to have a real coaching search after Wilson left is going to continue to be a issue for him as long as the team and coach underperform. 

Allen's turnaround of our defense was every bit as dramatic as Brohm's turnaround of Purdue's team last year.

We hadn't had a decent defense in literally decades.

He turned it around in year one.

I think more than anything, changes need to be made in the assistant coaching staff, particularly the addition of a defensive coordinator and change at the OC position.

Wilson also completely neglected recruiting at certain positions or ran recruits off his last couple years, which put us in the position at quarterback we are in now, but Penix looks good and Ramsey is no slouch, either.

Given the class Allen brought in last year and what he's bringing in this year, I'm pretty optimistic that we will play better and more consistently in the next few years.

I just really don't get all the calls for Allen's job I'm seeing.  Allen isn't perfect and is learning on the job somewhat, but this is the best four year stretch IU football has had in nearly 25 years, so I have no idea why anyone is looking to fire Allen or thinks that is a good idea.

The way I see it, we are more likely to have more than 5 wins next year than we are to have fewer.  I'm still pretty optimistic.  Did I say that yet haha?

I was at the game; I would have loved to see us beat Purdue, but it's not the end of the world.  It took Wilson 5 years to get to a bowl, and the Big Ten, in particular the East is much stronger than it was when we first made a bowl game under Wilson.

I think Allen gets at minimum 4 years.  If we are still 5-7 in year four, start calling for his job.

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Didn't we just fall flat on our face?

Archived