IUFB Post Mortem

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CTrojan88 said:

Let’s face it, no one named TOM should ever be allowed to be a head coach at IU again. The football version of Tom is as bad, but certainly not worse, than the basketball version was.  As long as Tom Allen is in charge, preparation will be an issue, we will always get out coached and out adjusted at halftime and in the good seasons, the result of the Bucket game will determine bowl eligibility.  If you are okay with that, then Tom Allen is your guy. .......

At least the basketball Tom won 2 conference championships and made 3 sweet 16's

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I said it a few weeks ago.

Find a D-2 or3 coach whose team puts up big numbers without running a gimmick offense and hire him as OC. If he does well, either he’s gone and we do it all over again, or he replaces Allen

I agree. I think OC is one of the easier positions to find an up and comer. There are all kinds of low D1 and D2/D3 offensive coordinators who run good/great offenses who haven't had the right opportunity yet. And they're pretty easy to spot too. Doesn't take a lot to figure out the difference between a good and bad offense.

One thing we definitely need to do is raise the salary of our assistants. Go give a guy with a good track record a big raise and get him here. Also, give Mike Hart a raise. Dump a few other position coaches, and actually pay money to get good people in there.

Better staff salaries will make it easier for Allen to get good coaches, and it will make it a more desirable place if we need to get rid of Allen.

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Bringing in Les Miles wouldn’t be the answer IMO. My guess is he doesn’t make a big impact in Lawrence. 

Maybe you're right. I thought if a school like IU were to hire a proven winner, a guy like Les Miles would be perfect. I'm not delusional in that even though IU is willing to spend 7 mill, top level HCs won't even give IU serious looks. IU's best bet is for someone who previously was a big time winner, but a bit washed up, and looking for redemption. Currently, IU is wasting money. Either we spend big bucks or we need to cut back. With that said, I know cutting back is not an option; we need to invest whole lot more aggressively to build an 8-win program. 

1 hour ago, addictedtoIU said:

Maybe you're right. I thought if a school like IU were to hire a proven winner, a guy like Les Miles would be perfect. I'm not delusional in that even though IU is willing to spend 7 mill, top level HCs won't even give IU serious looks. IU's best bet is for someone who previously was a big time winner, but a bit washed up, and looking for redemption. Currently, IU is wasting money. Either we spend big bucks or we need to cut back. With that said, I know cutting back is not an option; we need to invest whole lot more aggressively to build an 8-win program. 

Ask Purdue fans how they liked hiring a proven winner in Fred Akers

IU Football post mortem is the same as it is every year.  Ineptitude in the overall approach.  Some good players mixed in, but those rarely have translated into different results.  We'll play a few powerhouse schools "tough" but lose by 10-14.  We'll have crazy game mismanagement and situational breakdowns that only IU seems to have....   I've been watching IU Football very closely since 1980 and it never has changed.  The "glory" Mallory years- Peach bowl win and a couple other tier 2 appearances( maybe wins?) - that this is our biggest glory shows just how low the bar is. (though BIll was a great man and solid leader)  We've been to 11 bowl games in our history.  I recall an article in the  IDS when I was a student in the early 80s-- and when we had the longest active losing streak In the nation at 16 games or something... the article referred to an archives edition of the Indiana Daily Student... back from the time of the second IU football team:    It seems there was a year or two gap between the first football team and the second team.  When a player from the second team was asked why IU didn't field a team for a couple years after year one; his reply was "We didn't know the games would be that rough."    THAT is IU's football legacy.  lol   We are arguably THE WORST historical program in the major conferences.  

I watched the Bucket game today and it looked just like so many others.  And Purdue would have had a hard time beating any other team today... but they got US.   Good luck in the Weedeater Bowl, Boilers.   (kidding)  Seriously, it was so much deja vu watching that game,  I had to go smoke a big spliff and try to find an arcade like the Space Port (if anyone remembers)

That said, I will always root for Hoosiers football.  As long as our basketball program is where it should be, I'm OK with marginal football. (LIke many fans and the all administrations throughout history, as someone else pointed out here)    Peace and happy holidays!

Heard something on the post game call in show that shows how bad IU football has been.  The last 4 years of IU football has been one of the best 4 year stints in the history of IU football.  Think about that when 2 6-7 seasons and 2 5-7 seasons is considered one of the best stints in our history.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Heard something on the post game call in show that shows how bad IU football has been.  The last 4 years of IU football has been one of the best 4 year stints in the history of IU football.  Think about that when 2 6-7 seasons and 2 5-7 seasons is considered one of the best stints in our history.

That, and the fact that we are in (by far) the toughest division of any Power 5 conference is why no serious coach is going to consider coming to IU.  You cannot win here.

13 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

That, and the fact that we are in (by far) the toughest division of any Power 5 conference is why no serious coach is going to consider coming to IU.  You cannot win here.

No one will come here until they see real fan support and see the stadium full for every game and for the whole game.  it is not the only problem but I feel one of the major problems with IU football is fan support.  To me when recruits are on a visit or watching on TV and see the stadium 1/3 empty at the start and 1/2 empty after halftime it does nothing good for the program.

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

No one will come here until they see real fan support and see the stadium full for every game and for the whole game.  it is not the only problem but I feel one of the major problems with IU football is fan support.  To me when recruits are on a visit or watching on TV and see the stadium 1/3 empty at the start and 1/2 empty after halftime it does nothing good for the program.

They’ve got to do something about ticket prices. I would love to attend a game, but I’m honestly not shelling out $70 a ticket.

6 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Was the goose “waste” there before kickoff?  If so, there’s no excuse for that “crap.”    This wasn’t about people sitting on a free park bench.  People paying hard earned money deserve better for that. I don’t care what team you root for.  

Believe so yeah. 

11 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not sure if anyone noticed this yesterday but it sounds like it was pretty bad. Seems like an easy gig to hire someone with a power washer. 

At the IU basketball game on Tuesday there was a flock of birds that went on for miles and miles migrating south right over Assembly and Memorial.  After the game my car was covered.  They definitely should have cleaned it up, except where the visiting fans sit ;)

Archived