Last Days of Knight

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I still believe covering up pedophiles over decades is worse. Just my 2 cents. Murder is obviously final. I get that....but how many victims in the Penn St cover up live every day a living hell because of what they went through. Sex abuse against kids is the ultimate in my book. Zero tolerance for any of it.

No arguments here.  But there are other stories out there these "jack wagons" could be covering.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree all day.Baylor, Penn St....shoot how about documentary covering the biggest cheater in the history of college hoops. John Wooden and Sam Gilbert. 

The holy grail of college basketball The all mighty John Wooden is off limits. We probably get struck by lightning just mentioning his name with those others.

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

That one dropped out of the news cycle real quick. No money in that story I guess.

Unbelieveable isn't it? Where is the 30 for 30 on penn state? Or numerous other incidents 10X worse than anything that's ever happened at IU. I guess somehow we're an easy target? It's like the Sampson phone calls decimating our program...meanwhile down at Louisville it's like nothing happened...when they PAID A PLAYER $100,000!?! 

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The holy grail of college basketball The all mighty John Wooden is off limits. We probably get struck by lightning just mentioning his name with those others.

Coach K probably comes next to Wooden. I don't think anyone dares to report anything bad about K. 

I was in Coaches class 1 morning and a girl in the class said her dad had a question for coach. He wanted to know what Knight thought of Woodens pyramid of success and his attention to detail the fact that at the first practice he would teach guys how to put their socks on correctly. 

Knights says tell Dad the pyramid is wonderful and as for taking time to teach how to put on socks, he says what the hell else does Wooden need to do when he has the best players money can buy and tell Dad at Indiana we only recruit intelligent guys that already know how to put their bleeping socks on. 

12 minutes ago, hoosier8760 said:

Unbelieveable isn't it? Where is the 30 for 30 on penn state? Or numerous other incidents 10X worse than anything that's ever happened at IU. I guess somehow we're an easy target? It's like the Sampson phone calls decimating our program...meanwhile down at Louisville it's like nothing happened...when they PAID A PLAYER $100,000!?! 

It really is unbelievable.  I get the impression people just like picking on IU.

I bet if people were polled more would know about the 18 year old Knight story at IU than they would PSU and Sandusky.

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I was in Coaches class 1 morning and a girl in the class said her dad had a question for coach. He wanted to know what Knight thought of Woodens pyramid of success and his attention to detail the fact that at the first practice he would teach guys how to put their socks on correctly. 

Knights says tell Dad the pyramid is wonderful and as for taking time to teach how to put on socks, he says what the hell else does Wooden need to do when he has the best players money can buy and tell Dad at Indiana we only recruit intelligent guys that already know how to put their bleeping socks on. 

You left out how to tie your shoes!!!!!!!!!  Bill Walton's claim to fame.

I always thought RMK's relationship with ESPN was peculiar. He railed against them on numerous occasions (the postgame after a late game in Wisconsin where he scorched them for the late start time saying, "to hell with goddamn ESPN" and Fran Friscilla's interview with coach and Steve Alford come to mind) but took a job with them in 2008 (maybe they thought he would coldcock Dan Shulman or throttle Vitale on the air...ratings, you know).

The 30 for 30 may be the last bullet from one of those SOBs at ESPN he won't outlive. 😁

Anyway, watched it. Nothing new. Moving on.

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I always thought RMK's relationship with ESPN was peculiar. He railed against them on numerous occasions (the postgame after a late game in Wisconsin where he scorched them for the late start time saying, "to hell with goddamn ESPN" and Fran Friscilla's interview with coach and Steve Alford come to mind) but took a job with them in 2008 (maybe they thought he would coldcock Dan Shulman or throttle Vitale on the air...ratings, you know).

The 30 for 30 may be the last bullet from one of those SOBs at ESPN he won't outlive. 😁

Anyway, watched it. Nothing new. Moving on.

He did bresk Vitales ribs once with a bear hug 

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Knight is genius. He's an old-school black comedy king. 😁

I'm going to quote Bill Nethery's post from the Indiana Hoosier Basketball Fans Facebook group.  It's that good...a genuinely fair take on who Knight was and what he was about...

"My thoughts on Coach Knight, he was no hidden secret. He was a lot of conflicting things. Players knew going to play for him wasn’t going to be the easy route. They chose to play for him because they wanted to win. Some chose to walk away be cause it wasn’t worth it to them once they got there. He did cross the line at times. He was at the end of an era where things that are totally unacceptable today were more common place. Thousands of young men were treated as bad or worse because they volunteered or were drafted into the military and I don’t see the same outrage or concern. The goal was the same in both cases. It was to prepare them for what was ahead. I am not saying it was right or wrong. Life isn’t always fair, just or easy but what I have learned in life is that the hardest times have taught me a lot of important things that I can use in all times. I think today we probably lean towards making life too easy for those we care about and their own good."

Sounds like ESPN's creation was one-sided and agenda-driven, so I'm glad I didn't bother watching.  I'm not going to excuse Knight's behavior nor am I going to excuse him being a stubborn ass about making peace with IU, but the man was a lot more than that.

I thought I watched it the first time, but I hadn’t seen it yet.  So, I watched it out of curiosity yesterday.  More than one thing can be true.  It can be a hatchet job, but at the same time Knight has some issues.  Here, Abbott goes out of his way at the beginning to feign ignorance how anyone thought it was a hatchet job and that he was all about making a fair story.  In reality, his piece was the equivalent of a prosecution presenting a case to a jury.  He briefly acknowledged a couple of positive points and then went on to bludgeon Knight.  You leave the end of that and you’re left hanging, wanting the defendant’s presentation next, which we obviously don’t get.  It was a fairly amateurish production, with very simplistic images, such as the poor trustees cast as clueless as they walked at CNN.  

So, yes, I’d give him a D or an F for that.  He wasn’t honest. 

Having said that, Knight is a complicated and central figure for people my age.  He was all I knew as a coach until I was about 30 years old.  I grew up in Indiana, loved basketball, went to IU.  Knight in his prime was the best there was at coaching, any sport, any level, really.  Heck, I’d watch his show weekly.  He’d be slumped down in his chair going over how basketball was supposed to be played and I loved it.   

But, I’d say he should have left after 1994.  He himself said that.  In hindsight, he would have been better off had he just done that.  I suppose the competitor in him didn’t allow himself to leave.  But he should have.  He would have been better off recharging and getting a refreshed start.  IU could have planned better and thus avoided the backward logic of the administrator types after Knight to not allow for an alpha coach.  

Knight was obviously very frustrated his last few years for a variety of reasons and it tarnished his legacy. That’s a shame. 

Knight is not going to forgive IU.  He thinks he deserved an untarnished legacy and IU did not allow him that.  We know how he attended to the great coaches before him, Henry Iba, Pete Newell, Fred Taylor etc.  This is how he is wired and he’s not going to forget it.  

I will say, I’m very sure he has fond and happy feelings for all his IU fans. It’s all muddled because he thumbed his nose to the school. It’s a shame that it has happened this way and I think he misunderstands, even for himself, how beneficial it would be to come back.  I’m over it but I do believe he compartmentalizes the fan base from the school.  I’m confident he’s happy with the IU fans who supported him for 30 years and longer.   

Archived