Last Days of Knight

13 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I thought I watched it the first time, but I hadn’t seen it yet.  So, I watched it out of curiosity yesterday.  More than one thing can be true.  It can be a hatchet job, but at the same time Knight has some issues.  Here, Abbott goes out of his way at the beginning to feign ignorance how anyone thought it was a hatchet job and that he was all about making a fair story.  In reality, his piece was the equivalent of a prosecution presenting a case to a jury.  He briefly acknowledged a couple of positive points and then went on to bludgeon Knight.  You leave the end of that and you’re left hanging, wanting the defendant’s presentation next, which we obviously don’t get.  It was a fairly amateurish production, with very simplistic images, such as the poor trustees cast as clueless as they walked at CNN.  

So, yes, I’d give him a D or an F for that.  He wasn’t honest. 

Having said that, Knight is a complicated and central figure for people my age.  He was all I knew as a coach until I was about 30 years old.  I grew up in Indiana, loved basketball, went to IU.  Knight in his prime was the best there was at coaching, any sport, any level, really.  Heck, I’d watch his show weekly.  He’d be slumped down in his chair going over how basketball was supposed to be played and I loved it.   

But, I’d say he should have left after 1994.  He himself said that.  In hindsight, he would have been better off had he just done that.  I suppose the competitor in him didn’t allow himself to leave.  But he should have.  He would have been better off recharging and getting a refreshed start.  IU could have planned better and thus avoided the backward logic of the administrator types after Knight to not allow for an alpha coach.  

Knight was obviously very frustrated his last few years for a variety of reasons and it tarnished his legacy. That’s a shame. 

Knight is not going to forgive IU.  He thinks he deserved an untarnished legacy and IU did not allow him that.  We know how he attended to the great coaches before him, Henry Iba, Pete Newell, Fred Taylor etc.  This is how he is wired and he’s not going to forget it.  

I will say, I’m very sure he has fond and happy feelings for all his IU fans. It’s all muddled because he thumbed his nose to the school. It’s a shame that it has happened this way and I think he misunderstands, even for himself, how beneficial it would be to come back.  I’m over it but I do believe he compartmentalizes the fan base from the school.  I’m confident he’s happy with the IU fans who supported him for 30 years and longer.   

I believe you nailed it. In his book Knight Court Dick Vitale says he urged Knight to leave Indiana because of what was going to happen. 

I know that Knight loves the fans of IU but cannot come back no matter how much it would mean to so many himself included.  Complicated man is one way to put it. Love him or hate him his impact is all over this state and the game of basketball as a whole

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pretty sure I told my story on the last site.  But I will tell it again.  I lived in the small town of Warren.  Middle of the summer and I had the day off of work.  Got up at 4 AM and drove my happy arsz to Warsaw to do some fishing.  On the water by 5:30.  By 9 I had a nice mess and decided to head home.  I looked at my gas gauge as I was about to get to I-69.  Pulled into the gas station with my boat in tow.  Fueled up and returned to my truck.  I was just looking in my boat just to make sure I hadn't lost any rods.  All of the sudden I hear the voice, "You catch anything?".  I recognized the voice and spun around and it was Coach.  We spent 20 minutes talking about fishing and techniques for doing it.  He signed my t-shirt with a sharpie.  I proudly display it.  Funny, we never even talked basketball.  

I am saddened that things turned out like they did.  Honestly, it shames me.  A living legend falling from grace.  Just sad.  I still idolize him, but I have moved on.  But I still remember that day talking fishing.  

31 minutes ago, rico said:

I am pretty sure I told my story on the last site.  But I will tell it again.  I lived in the small town of Warren.  Middle of the summer and I had the day off of work.  Got up at 4 AM and drove my happy arsz to Warsaw to do some fishing.  On the water by 5:30.  By 9 I had a nice mess and decided to head home.  I looked at my gas gauge as I was about to get to I-69.  Pulled into the gas station with my boat in tow.  Fueled up and returned to my truck.  I was just looking in my boat just to make sure I hadn't lost any rods.  All of the sudden I hear the voice, "You catch anything?".  I recognized the voice and spun around and it was Coach.  We spent 20 minutes talking about fishing and techniques for doing it.  He signed my t-shirt with a sharpie.  I proudly display it.  Funny, we never even talked basketball.  

I am saddened that things turned out like they did.  Honestly, it shames me.  A living legend falling from grace.  Just sad.  I still idolize him, but I have moved on.  But I still remember that day talking fishing.  

Great story thanks for sharing 

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Omg you’re going to have to tell!

Years later my boss got me tickets to see Coach speak at the Honeywell Center in Wabash.  Came a point where he was fielding questions.  I stood up to ask him a question.  He said "Are the fish still biting in Warsaw?".  I was in a state of shock.  Couldn't even remember what my question was going to be...and still don't.  He remembered me.  I just sat back down.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Thanks for sharing. Awesome stuff. 

3 hours ago, rico said:

Years later my boss got me tickets to see Coach speak at the Honeywell Center in Wabash.  Came a point where he was fielding questions.  I stood up to ask him a question.  He said "Are the fish still biting in Warsaw?".  I was in a state of shock.  Couldn't even remember what my question was going to be...and still don't.  He remembered me.  I just sat back down.

1987 Adler Theatre for me. They won the title and in the heart of Illinois/Iowa country (which was a big deal at the time) Knight was guest speaker for a local newspaper. My family was the only IU fans in the area. Got called to the principals office during the day. Had two extra tickets to hear Knight speak. Dad and I went. Will never forget that entire night. He spoke for 3 straight hours and it felt like 15 minutes. Needless to say. Hooked for life. 

When I was in 3rd or 4th grade would have 93 - 94 my dad took me to assembly hall and we were able to shoot around. At the time I was about 6' 180.  So im at the south end missing threes when Knight comes out of his office walking by us.  As he is walking by I say hi coach Knight. And he just turned and said Get your ass in the paint where it belongs son.  I said yes sir and got moving.

Also went to his camp several summers. The first summer I was a bit shocked by the profanity, had never heard a coach talk like that before. 

This is not an inside story, but I remember it well from an old 60 minutes segment on ESPN classic.  I was lucky enough to find a link to Dan Rather's piece:

https://danratherjournalist.org/interviewer/cultural-figures/bobby-knight/video-bobby-knight

mrflynn03, being from Washington, you'll enjoy this...

Washington's Steve Bouchie (#54) was a 1979 Mr. Basketball and was a freshman when this piece aired in 1980.  At about the 4:20 mark, you'll see Knight grab Bouchie in practice and position him.  Bouchie wasn't looking where Knight wanted him to so he grabbed his hair and repositioned his head as well.  That was Classic Bob Knight...you better believe he had Bouchie's attention after that.

This was bad, one sided, extremely overdramatic and made Hoosier fans sound like pieces of crap. Even tried to relate this to a mafia lol.  The journalist really made no attempt to see another side of the story, probably because of the contempt Knight showed towards reporters.  It really reminded me of todays current political news reporting.  Completely biased, with self justification because you belief you stand on the moral high ground.  Knight crossed the line on many occasions, but people are very complex and a mix of good and bad. 

Let's see how your Pitino, UNC fake classes and MSU rape 30 for 30 episodes turn out. Or will you even make those?

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I always figured it was an incompatibility with Knight's coaching style issue, which is a polite way to say he probably did not like being screamed at and decided to bail.

No knowledge...just guesses.

I heard a rumor. But, I'm not into spreading rumors. I'd love if someone knew.

Being on the late fringes of generation X, and someone who grew up admiring Bobby Knight (I even attended his camp a couple years), the thing that occurred to me was just that in Coach Knight you had an abusive, drill sergeant-style figure. The younger and prevailing generations coming up became less and less compatible with that energy and style of instruction. 

One of my least favorite employment situations of my life was when I sold paint and worked for a district manager who idolized General Patton. Subsequently, while being quite productive and having great numbers, I found myself not wanting to work hard for that man. These days I work for Apple. It's a progressive, group-think type of environment and I've never felt more content and motivated. 

That said, I am sure there are still some kids out there who respond to Coach Knight's chosen stimuli. I just happen to think there aren't many of them and he was experiencing a drying up of types of kids who would otherwise have thrived under his heavy hand earlier in his career. Also, he may have lost a bit of his charm and frivolity as he got older, plenty of folks do.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I always figured it was an incompatibility with Knight's coaching style issue, which is a polite way to say he probably did not like being screamed at and decided to bail.

No knowledge...just guesses.

I thought he wanted to start at SG which RMK would never allow.  

25 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Being on the late fringes of generation X, and someone who grew up admiring Bobby Knight (I even attended his camp a couple years), the thing that occurred to me was just that in Coach Knight you had an abusive, drill sergeant-style figure. The younger and prevailing generations coming up became less and less compatible with that energy and style of instruction. 

One of my least favorite employment situations of my life was when I sold paint and worked for a district manager who idolized General Patton. Subsequently, while being quite productive and having great numbers, I found myself not wanting to work hard for that man. These days I work for Apple. It's a progressive, group-think type of environment and I've never felt more content and motivated. 

That said, I am sure there are still some kids out there who respond to Coach Knight's chosen stimuli. I just happen to think there aren't many of them and he was experiencing a drying up of types of kids who would otherwise have thrived under his heavy hand earlier in his career. Also, he may have lost a bit of his charm and frivolity as he got older, plenty of folks do.

I want to expand on this because I think we are about the same age and will be in agreement.   Knight was old school and time passed him by.  his style didn't resonate with younger players.

I grew up with a dad who was strict like RMK.  I had a grandpa who was a military drill instructor in real life.  So to me Knight's style was normal.  But as time passed younger players werent as accepting to the abusive style of coaching.

Archived