Last Days of Knight

Coach Knight was a big part of my childhood. Alot of memories I have with my dad was centered around the game and basketball and RMK. Ive met him several times and attended his basketball camps multiple years. It took some time getting over him being gone but as time passed we've seen how petty a person he is.  When he didnt show up for the 76 team or AJ I was finally done with the guy.

That said, without RMK what would IU basketball be?  Probably on the same level as North Carolina State.  He helped solidify our status as blue bloods and high expectations. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

The people who still support him are RMK fans and not IU fans and probably bought all of those TT shirts and hats after he got the job there.

I don't think that's true at all. I recognize what a flawed human being Bob Knight is, and there were times I was embarrassed by his actions.

But I suffered through the IU basketball of the 60s. Sure, we had 2 National Championships under ours belts, but so did Cincinnati and Oklahoma A&M. We'd become just another school. Ohio State, Michigan, and (Oh God, help me) Purdue were better programs by the end of the decade. 

Bob Knight restored Indiana basketball to Big 10 and national prominence. Love him or hate him, he's a huge reason IU has the following we have today and are still considered a Blueblood. If you don't think so, yank down 3 of those banners hanging at the end of Assembly Hall, because without him, they're not there.

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think that's true at all. I recognize what a flawed human being Bob Knight is, and there were times I was embarrassed by his actions.

But I suffered through the IU basketball of the 60s. Sure, we had 2 National Championships under ours belts, but so did Cincinnati and Oklahoma A&M. We'd become just another school. Ohio State, Michigan, and (Oh God, help me) Purdue were better programs by the end of the decade. 

Bob Knight restored Indiana basketball to Big 10 and national prominence. Love him or hate him, he's a huge reason IU has the following we have today and are still considered a Blueblood. If you don't think so, yank down 3 of those banners hanging at the end of Assembly Hall, because without him, they're not there.

Fair statement.  I'm pissed at how juvenile he's acted since being fired and more than anything, I'm pissed at how he's ignored the requests of former players to celebrate with them at IU.

...but I recognize what he did at IU.  No doubt he was a very good tactician.  More than once, I just wish he could have slowed his roll.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The people who still support him are RMK fans and not IU fans and probably bought all of those TT shirts and hats after he got the job there.

I got a hat and a signed mini basketball when he was at TT...and yes I was an RMK fan..that doesn't mean I always agreed with what he did ...and yes I am a IU basketball fan...there was a time when the two went hand in hand and it was the hottest ticket in the state,maybe the nation.

1 hour ago, HoosierJax said:

I got a hat and a signed mini basketball when he was at TT...and yes I was an RMK fan..that doesn't mean I always agreed with what he did ...and yes I am a IU basketball fan...there was a time when the two went hand in hand and it was the hottest ticket in the state,maybe the nation.

My dad was a knight fan first and iu fan second. I have the 1992 final four iu duke game ball signed by the team and coaches. Probably the the most sentimental valuable thing I own. Waiting outside the locker to get that ball signed was one of the best things ever.

Just a shame how stubborn he has been.

35 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My dad was a knight fan first and iu fan second. I have the 1992 final four iu duke game ball signed by the team and coaches. Probably the the most sentimental valuable thing I own. Waiting outside the locker to get that ball signed was one of the best things ever.

Just a shame how stubborn he has been.

Yes he is stubborn...but you know what,he's been that way he's whole life...it's not like he became that way after the firing,love him or hate him that's how he is best known.

16 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

In your opinion you cant be both? You are probably one of the guys that criticized Colts fans that also supported the Broncos. 

Yes I did because to me you support the team and not the individual and it is the same way when IU players turn pro.  If those players don't play for my team in the pros I really don't follow them that closely.

13 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

I realize that because he was the only coach I ever knew at IU and I use to idolize him.  I just got tired of having to defend him to my non IU fan friends because of his behavior.  Once he left and was no longer the coach at IU I did not care how he did at TT because I am not a fan of TT but IU and would never buy anything with TT on it.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes I did because to me you support the team and not the individual and it is the same way when IU players turn pro.  If those players don't play for my team in the pros I really don't follow them that closely.

To me I dont understand that line of thinking. I can be the biggest IU fan and still be a Bob Knight supporter.  I dont agree with how he has handled things but he has to live with that. In all honesty he is hurting himself more than the University or us fans. I grew up close to cincy and became a Colts fan when I moved to Bloomington.  I fell in love with the Cokts because of #18. When Ayden was in the hospital all the time he was in the Peyton Manning children's hospital not the Indianapolis Colts hospital.  It was PM that came to see him in the hospital that wrote to him that wore an Aydens Army tshirt.

I am not one to judge anyone's fandom I would support PM anywhere he had gone except New England.  The same with Knight.  You can root cheer love hate both at the same time. 

I do find it ironic that Knight was applauded for his stubborn ways not giving in to certain things doing things his way and man we loved him for it. It's those same qualities that have now turned many against him.

We are better for have had him as our coach  it would be great for him to come back to this great University but I dont hold any ill will toward anyone that does not return to the place that fired them. I wouldn't. The university helped build the monster, support it then ultimately tore it down. Just my 2 cents

I don't see the problem with being a diehard IU fan and diehard Knight supporter. Maybe just me. His actions over the last few years haven't been my cup of tea but I'll always support him. In terms of defending him to others? I don't think anyone has to do that. Like someone or something for you. If others have a problem with it. That's on them. 

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

To me I dont understand that line of thinking. I can be the biggest IU fan and still be a Bob Knight supporter.  I dont agree with how he has handled things but he has to live with that. In all honesty he is hurting himself more than the University or us fans. I grew up close to cincy and became a Colts fan when I moved to Bloomington.  I fell in love with the Cokts because of #18. When Ayden was in the hospital all the time he was in the Peyton Manning children's hospital not the Indianapolis Colts hospital.  It was PM that came to see him in the hospital that wrote to him that wore an Aydens Army tshirt.

I am not one to judge anyone's fandom I would support PM anywhere he had gone except New England.  The same with Knight.  You can root cheer love hate both at the same time. 

I do find it ironic that Knight was applauded for his stubborn ways not giving in to certain things doing things his way and man we loved him for it. It's those same qualities that have now turned many against him.

We are better for have had him as our coach  it would be great for him to come back to this great University but I dont hold any ill will toward anyone that does not return to the place that fired them. I wouldn't. The university helped build the monster, support it then ultimately tore it down. Just my 2 cents

I don't question your fandom but don't question my fandom as well because that is how I feel.  With so much player movement in college and pro I just find it hard to root for an individual instead of the team.  When it comes to IU players I tend to maybe follow those players who stayed 4 years over a guy that stayed 1 or 2 years and that is just the way I am.  McGinnis and IT might be the best players but I would never put them over guys like Alford or Cheaney or any of the other great players who stayed 4 years.

I don't question your fandom but don't question my fandom as well because that is how I feel.  With so much player movement in college and pro I just find it hard to root for an individual instead of the team.  When it comes to IU players I tend to maybe follow those players who stayed 4 years over a guy that stayed 1 or 2 years and that is just the way I am.  McGinnis and IT might be the best players but I would never put them over guys like Alford or Cheaney or any of the other great players who stayed 4 years.

I dont know where I questioned your fandom. You are the one that said you cant root for IU and Knight or the Colts and Broncos.  I just showed my reasonings for why I can. Never said u had to feel the same. I said I dont understand the that reasoning and I dont. Never questioned or said who u should root for. Idk as long as your are passionate about it not bandwagon I am ok with it. We just purchased our 3rd different Lebron Jersey who am I to tell Ayden he cant be a Lakers fan. BGleas might be able to tell him that but not me lol

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I dont know where I questioned your fandom. You are the one that said you cant root for IU and Knight or the Colts and Broncos.  I just showed my reasonings for why I can. Never said u had to feel the same. I said I dont understand the that reasoning and I dont. Never questioned or said who u should root for. Idk as long as your are passionate about it not bandwagon I am ok with it. We just purchased our 3rd different Lebron Jersey who am I to tell Ayden he cant be a Lakers fan. BGleas might be able to tell him that but not me lol

To me when you switch to a team just because of a player then to me that is being a bandwagon fan.  I saw a lot of people who said they were Bulls fans but once MJ left they were no longer Bulls fans and to me that is not being a Bulls fan.  It is just how I have always been but if you feel differently that is good as well because it is just sports and not that important in the big scope of things.

To me when you switch to a team just because of a player then to me that is being a bandwagon fan.  I saw a lot of people who said they were Bulls fans but once MJ left they were no longer Bulls fans and to me that is not being a Bulls fan.  It is just how I have always been but if you feel differently that is good as well because it is just sports and not that important in the big scope of things.

If you became a fan of said team because of that person I can understand it. Ayden could care less about basketball he loves the interaction between he myself and his brother not the game. He loves watching Lebron play. Therefore he roots for whomever Lebron plays for. To me bandwagon is someone who only supports the current front runners. 

I got into a discussion with a guy that was ticked that so many kids in Indiana are Warrior fans. Partly due to them winning but more so they like watching Curry they love his range and as he was gaining popularity the Pacers were going the other direction. Over the next few years you will see the Vic jerseys start to reign here in Indiana.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Who is questioning whose fandom?

That was not my meaning but when someone said they could not believe there are people out there that still go and pay to see him.  I meant that I feel the only people out there today who would be willing to go see him are RMK fans only and they no longer support IU but I could be wrong.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That was not my meaning but when someone said they could not believe there are people out there that still go and pay to see him.  I meant that I feel the only people out there today who would be willing to go see him are RMK fans only and they no longer support IU but I could be wrong.

I disagree more with that statement.  I am IU through and through and have gone to see him twice speak since being fired.

I ate dinner at his house dated his neighbor and she called him Uncle Bob. He threatened me at a game, we were sitting in her parents seats right behind the bench, before tipoff he looked back at her asked how her parents were and told me he would kill me if I mistreated her. 

Her parents are as close to Knight as 1 can be and guess what they still have season tickets behind the bench and donate a ton to the university. It is not black and white you can do both.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Standing ovation for this ...well said.

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I disagree more with that statement.  I am IU through and through and have gone to see him twice speak since being fired.

I ate dinner at his house dated his neighbor and she called him Uncle Bob. He threatened me at a game, we were sitting in her parents seats right behind the bench, before tipoff he looked back at her asked how her parents were and told me he would kill me if I mistreated her. 

Her parents are as close to Knight as 1 can be and guess what they still have season tickets behind the bench and donate a ton to the university. It is not black and white you can do both.

I just heard about a lot of old time RMK fans who turned against IU after RMK was fired and figured those are the guys who are still paying money to go see him speak.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would go see him and I have,hell I would go see Branch McCracken..I would support anything related to IU.

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just heard about a lot of old time RMK fans who turned against IU after RMK was fired and figured those are the guys who are still paying money to go see him speak.

The 1 person in coaching I despised was Gene Keady. After he left Purdue met him a couple times and he is a good dude. I would pay to hear him and I hate Purdue as much today as I ever have. Many did turn their back on IU but most see it for what it is and still love IU

28 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I would go see him and I have,hell I would go see Branch McCracken..I would support anything related to IU.

I guess I just see things differently because if RMK does not want anything to do with IU then going to see in is not supporting IU.  After he turned his back on all of his championship teams and players when they wanted him here to help celebrating their success that really upset me.

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I just see things differently because if RMK does not want anything to do with IU then going to see in is not supporting IU.  After he turned his back on all of his championship teams and players when they wanted him here to help celebrating their success that really upset me.

If an ex wife or ex finance or even an ex girlfriend asked me to come to their wedding even though I may have loved their family had friends there i myself would not go. Given that i had 30 years in the relationship i would probably say shove it all. That's just me.

Several of the players have met with Knight spoke to him and etc... just not on campus 

7 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I've heard Knight speak twice since him leaving. Both events he couldn't have been more cordial or gracious with his time. We talked baseball for 10 minutes after it was over because I asked him how him and Tony LaRussa got together. It is amazing though. I don't get nervous around anyone or anything in my life. Standing there next to him for those 10 minutes I was in awe, his presence is still large...and I found myself honestly being nervous....and it was awesome. 

I'll cheer for that guy forever. No matter if he comes back or not. Besides maybe meeting Walter Payton as a kid....I didn't idolize any other athlete or coach more than Coach Knight. With that said....Indiana Basketball is bigger than any one person so I continue to unhealthily support IU while still loving Coach Knight.

Archived