Last Days of Knight

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've heard Knight speak twice since him leaving. Both events he couldn't have been more cordial or gracious with his time. We talked baseball for 10 minutes after it was over because I asked him how him and Tony LaRussa got together. It is amazing though. I don't get nervous around anyone or anything in my life. Standing there next to him for those 10 minutes I was in awe, his presence is still large...and I found myself honestly being nervous....and it was awesome. 

I'll cheer for that guy forever. No matter if he comes back or not. Besides maybe meeting Walter Payton as a kid....I didn't idolize any other athlete or coach more than Coach Knight. With that said....Indiana Basketball is bigger than any one person so I continue to unhealthily support IU while still loving Coach Knight.

Well said. During coaches class and at practice I met the following Tony larussa Tommy lasorda d Wayne Lukas bill parcels and bill belicheat.  Knight was bigger than life and I was in awe every day

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Well said. During coaches class and at practice I met the following Tony larussa Tommy lasorda d Wayne Lukas bill parcels and bill belicheat.  Knight was bigger than life and I was in awe every day

That is just awesome. I can't remember the specifics but maybe you can refresh my memory. Regarding D Wayne Lukas son. Knight either got him the medical care or did something up and above to help his buddy out. 

What a crew you got to meet. I tried to get into his class while at IU. No dice. Haha..

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That is just awesome. I can't remember the specifics but maybe you can refresh my memory. Regarding D Wayne Lukas son. Knight either got him the medical care or did something up and above to help his buddy out. 

What a crew you got to meet. I tried to get into his class while at IU. No dice. Haha..

Give me a call sometime if u want to talk about some of those stories.  

I dont recall the details with Lukas son.

Have u heard of I want to say Rosie diner in the West side. Little mom and pop joint Knight would take the team there every year great stories the owners could tell

19 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Give me a call sometime if u want to talk about some of those stories.  

I dont recall the details with Lukas son.

Have u heard of I want to say Rosie diner in the West side. Little mom and pop joint Knight would take the team there every year great stories the owners could tell

I haven't heard about Rosie Diner. I was always on the lookout at Wagon Wheel though. Haha. I'll have to dig into my memory and find the D Wayne Lukas stuff. He was an asst coach for I believe Johnny Orr (who Knight was friendly with). Used to have him on the bench at IU games. 

It went about the way I figured it would,interviews with people who didn't have any involvement with the day to day operation of the basketball program at that time,and then have two former players (Calloway, Mandaville ) talk about things they seen...lol..I would like to know who the players were who wouldn't give up there identity...never did see Dak or Felling pull Knight off Reed as he said happend in his interview....any guesses on who mailed the tape?

The thing that annoys me about this 30 for 30 is they focused on the "choking" incident.  In typical fashion the media cherry picked a few seconds of the video and slowed it down. Knight didnt choke reid.  If you watch the actual video he grabbed him by the shoulder/trap and got in his face from what I can tell.  After all, it was a very poor quality video so who really knows. It lasted less than 2 seconds.  When I played sports it wasn't uncommon for a coach to grab by the arm or shoulder and get in your face or do it to reposition you.

Not saying he didnt deserve what happened but that video was just the excuse they needed to fire him.

9 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

It went about the way I figured it would,interviews with people who didn't have any involvement with the day to day operation of the basketball program at that time,and then have two former players (Calloway, Mandaville ) talk about things they seen...lol..I would like to know who the players were who wouldn't give up there identity...never did see Dak or Felling pull Knight off Reed as he said happend in his interview....any guesses on who mailed the tape?

I know 100 percent without question who sent the tape 

10 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

They asked for interviews with those guys and they turned them down.  For me it is hard and feel a little ashamed that I actually idolized that man for so long.

1 minute ago, HoosierJax said:

They talked,said so during the show..they just didn't want to be identified or go in front of the camera.

They asked RMK for an interview and DD said he turned down the request for him to be on the show.  I just can't believe there are people still out there that saw this and was around when it was happening that still try to justify it in any way.

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They asked RMK for an interview and DD said he turned down the request for him to be on the show.  I just can't believe there are people still out there that saw this and was around when it was happening that still try to justify it in any way.

I did not watch it. Which parts are you referring to.  Just some examples so I can understand.  Thanks

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why would he want to,he did plenty of interviews when it happened .

14 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Why would he want to,he did plenty of interviews when it happened .

Remember it like it was yesterday. I was pool side at the Luxor and an older gentleman who knew we were from IU handed me the paper with title Dark Knight. It was the Neil Reed incident. That evening we went out to dinner and at the MGM sport book I noticed a horse named Been a Rough Knight was racing. I had no clue how to bet horses so I dropped A$50 and somehow cashed in for little over 800. A silver lining to Neil Reed story. 

Not so lucky after the Louisville scandal I put a boat load on Ugly Hooker but lost my shirt

18 years later and still one of the most polarizing figures/stories in sports history, right? If I thought the story would be told objectively with contributions from all sides I would watch it. That isn't a sign of me condoning any of Knight's behavior. More of a sign of my disdain for people in the media who never tell all sides. 

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

I find it interesting how often this story comes up but you never hear about Woody Hayes assaulting an opposing teams player on live tv.

Wait a minute.  Knight went to ohio state, woody hayes, urban Meyer scandal this year. lots of abuse coming out of that university.

We keep getting Knight stuff yet pedophiles and massive cover up at Penn St is almost forgotten. 

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We keep getting Knight stuff yet pedophiles and massive cover up at Penn St is almost forgotten. 

We have turned into a butt kissing society.  Knight refuses to do it so the story remains. Every media personality that ever dealt with Knight has a story of him belittling them or something.  Since he wont give in every few years media outlets will bring him back to the present.

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

We have turned into a butt kissing society.  Knight refuses to do it so the story remains. Every media personality that ever dealt with Knight has a story of him belittling them or something.  Since he wont give in every few years media outlets will bring him back to the present.

Nothing but regurgitation on the media's part.  I am over it.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

How about Baylor?  That was murder.

I still believe covering up pedophiles over decades is worse. Just my 2 cents. Murder is obviously final. I get that....but how many victims in the Penn St cover up live every day a living hell because of what they went through. Sex abuse against kids is the ultimate in my book. Zero tolerance for any of it.

Archived