Grant Gelon stirring the pot

While I can sympathize it must be tough as a parent to see your child not be good enough, it happens millions of times a year when kids get cut from high school and even middle school teams. Most parents don't go to the paper whining about how much their son got screwed. Weak move. 

Agree with everyone else.  This is big time college basketball, just the way it goes.  Every single major college basketball program goes through "spring Creaning."  My question is, why didn't this happen to Priller?  Probably because he's only going to take up a scholly for one more year.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Agree with everyone else.  This is big time college basketball, just the way it goes.  Every single major college basketball program goes through "spring Creaning."  My question is, why didn't this happen to Priller?  Probably because he's only going to take up a scholly for one more year.

Call me crazy, but I can see Priller getting some run setting screens in Archies offense. After De'Ron, who plays in the middle?

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

That and atleast he is a tall body to practice against.....And its gonna look good for IU when Priller is a lottery pick next yearB|

It's unfortunate that he has sour grapes, but this was the best solution for all parties. Unfortunately, the real world can be a difficult place.

I doubt IU could have switched him to walk-on status.  While that might have been more commensurate with his abilities, the student-athlete bill of rights guarantees him a free education.  So, if you switch a scholly player to non-scholly as a walk-on player, you'd violate the student bill of rights because the education would no longer be "free."

Hopefully he learns from this and, with the passage of time, comes to understand it.  Best wishes to the young man.  

I do feel for Grant. He was never good enough for IU but I can't blame him for accepting Crean's offer. Instead of just spending four years playing and studying at a smaller college, now he has to either end his basketball career or transfer schools, make a new group of friends, etc. It's a bummer.

That all being said - I don't fault Archie one bit. He was fair and honest with Grant. It's not Archie's duty to carry a guy on the roster for three years who's never going to see the court. The mom is upset but realistically, I'm not sure what she expected to happen (outside of wishfully hoping that Grant becomes an IU level player).

What exactly did Grant think he was going to hear from Archie. I have no problem with how Archie handled the situation he told the kid the truth and told him that you can keep your scholarship and be a student which to me is not a bad thing. We all knew that Crean should not have offered him a scholarship to begin with. This type of thing happens in the business world all the time is when you get a new boss you think you are safe where you are and sometimes you are and sometimes you are not safe and for Grant this was the case. 

52 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

college basketball is business.  coaches gotta win.  i'm sure it would be tough to take if this were my kid, but this is just how coaches have to operate.  i don't get why Priller hasn't had the same conversation, but that's coach's call.

See I was going to say the same thing on Priller I know that he is a fan favorite but why have they not had the same conversation. 

I think Priller does bring some things to the table, albeit things that probably will never manifest in a game.  He is also a senior who probably would have to give up basketball in order to not mess up his graduation plans.  I don't think Archie evaluating the totality of a situation is a sign of weak leadership, I find it to be a strength. 

1 hour ago, Coach1K said:

See I was going to say the same thing on Priller I know that he is a fan favorite but why have they not had the same conversation. 

Priller is a Senior using a scholarship Archie probably didn't want to use this year anyhow to save it for 2018 recruits. Gelon would have tied up a scholarship for 3 more years.

Move by Archie makes complete sense to me.

11 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Priller is a Senior using a scholarship Archie probably didn't want to use this year anyhow to save it for 2018 recruits. Gelon would have tied up a scholarship for 3 more years.

Move by Archie makes complete sense to me.

Ah I see why they chose to do that as you say with Priller it doesn't matter with his scholarship. 

I believe CAM and IU athletics have done what was needed to be done and done the right way. 

What Grant and his parents should know is that it was Crean's mistake in the first place and even if Crean were still here, there would've been a high chance Grant would've gotten booted out at the end of sophomore season or even at this point any way. If Grant or his parents did their homework about Crean before Grant signing the LOI, it would've been quite obvious Crean would fill up all 13 spots every season no matter what, and when his recruiting picks up later on he would clean up the worse part of the bench. 

10 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I believe CAM and IU athletics have done what was needed to be done and done the right way. 

What Grant and his parents should know is that it was Crean's mistake in the first place and even if Crean were still here, there would've been a high chance Grant would've gotten booted out at the end of sophomore season or even at this point any way. If Grant or his parents did their homework about Crean before Grant signing the LOI, it would've been quite obvious Crean would fill up all 13 spots every season no matter what, and when his recruiting picks up later on he would clean up the worse part of the bench. 

What many IU fans, including myself were wanting to deny,  was that "Creaning" was a real thing.  Having said that.... not much different than what Knight did numerous times over the years.

At this point.... all I can do is wish  the best for Grant and his family.  When one door closes....... it matters what fork in the road one takes.   Grant is a good kid.  Should not have pressed Archie and staff for more playing time.  PT is earned, not given.   Good luck Grant.  You've got a long time to finally figure things out.  And again.... I wish the former Region Rat.... all the best.   

Interesting to see if Gelon went the CC route rather than sitting out a year, so he could commit to the next team Crean coaches. All while being eligible right away in Creans first year at that new school. Does anyone think Crean would offer Gelon again if hired at at D-1 school?

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

What many IU fans, including myself were wanting to deny,  was that "Creaning" was a real thing.  Having said that.... not much different than what Knight did numerous times over the years.

At this point.... all I can do is wish  the best for Grant and his family.  When one door closes....... it matters what fork in the road one takes.   Grant is a good kid.  Should not have pressed Archie and staff for more playing time.  PT is earned, not given.   Good luck Grant.  You've got a long time to finally figure things out.  And again.... I wish the former Region Rat.... all the best.   

see, i agree that "Creaning" was a thing, but i also believe everyone does it these days.  everyone.  if they want to win and keep their jobs it is necessary.  

Archived