Grant Gelon stirring the pot

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

see, i agree that "Creaning" was a thing, but i also believe everyone does it these days.  everyone.  if they want to win and keep their jobs it is necessary.  

i always felt like Crean was a good recruiter, he told the recruits what they wanted to hear and commit. Now after having a year under their belt it was either they loved him or couldn't stand playing for him. I felt we lost a lot of guys do to not being "one of Creans guys" Look at Malik Story, Stanford Robinson, Nick Williams,  and so on. Were some of them guys the right fit at IU? probably not. But that was on the coach for recruiting that type of player and that is where Gelon came in. But overall we have a very low transfer/Creaning rate compared to other schools

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

see, i agree that "Creaning" was a thing, but i also believe everyone does it these days.  everyone.  if they want to win and keep their jobs it is necessary.  

So good to see you as a part of our new community on HSN.03.  Glad to have you found us here, and willing to continue to be a part of our family. 

You are right about "Creaning"  these days.   However I harken back to the days when Illinois fans and one in particular, who posted it  that "Creaning" was a bad thing.  He was Orange.... something on the old Scout  Illinois board.  Old timers here will recall who i am referring to. 

See. I may not post much about history.  However,despite my age.... I never forget.    GO HOOSIERS  !

46 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The media is making this a story. It isn't. I'm guessing it's the first time any of them have ever interviewed Grant. They sure didnt when he was at IU.

I would say it's Grant and his parents making it a story.  But oh well, no one will even remember it happened by the time the season starts.

I asked this on twitter and I'll ask here. Timing of this story being published is odd to me. This all goes down in May and it's news the very next day after we lock down another instate recruit in August? Seems strange to me.

Wish the kid well but if there's anyone he or his family wants to blame he can call his coach who offered him down in Florida.

In regards to Priller, there was a recent article where Archie was quoted as saying Priller needs to go from a fan favorite to a coach's favorite. I agree that if TP was a few year's younger he'd probably be shown the door, but I personally hope the coaching staff has lit more of a fire in his belly and have seen something in him that they can utilize this next year in spot minutes. Just like others have changed their bodies, etc. I hope that TP has taken that next step to go out with a strong senior campaign.

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I asked this on twitter and I'll ask here. Timing of this story being published is odd to me. This all goes down in May and it's news the very next day after we lock down another instate recruit in August? Seems strange to me.

Wish the kid well but if there's anyone he or his family wants to blame he can call his coach who offered him down in Florida.

Reason for the delay ?  I had been hearing that the IU staff was shopping Grant to other schools, in order to help him out.  When there were no takers, they made the decision to make his transfer public.  Not sure of the veracity of these reports.  However they make sense to me, in terms of your question.

19 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Reason for the delay ?  I had been hearing that the IU staff was shopping Grant to other schools, in order to help him out.  When there were no takers, they made the decision to make his transfer public.  Not sure of the veracity of these reports.  However they make sense to me, in terms of your question.

No. I meant this all happened in early May. Why are reporters writing about it in Mid August the day after we get a verbal from a rival's backyard. Timing seems just a bit odd to me.

1 hour ago, addictedtoIU said:

This whole thing must've been painful for Grant, but he should try to look on the bright side. Even if it was only 1 year, he had a chance to experience what IU can offer to its players in terms of support and resources. Almost all other players of his caliber don't even get a chance.

Very true. I'm sure he improved as a result. It just might take him some time to mature, figure that out, and be thankful. 

Despite the mud Gelon and his parents are slinging, I don't wish the kid any ill will and hope he can find what he's looking for.  The fault lies with Crean's recruiting and thinking he was smarter than most other coaches.  Gelon wasn't even the best player on his high school team.  That player, Sasha Stefanovic, is now enrolled as a freshman at PUke.

On 8/21/2017 at 9:25 PM, milehiiu said:

So good to see you as a part of our new community on HSN.03.  Glad to have you found us here, and willing to continue to be a part of our family. 

You are right about "Creaning"  these days.   However I harken back to the days when Illinois fans and one in particular, who posted it  that "Creaning" was a bad thing.  He was Orange.... something on the old Scout  Illinois board.  Old timers here will recall who i am referring to. 

See. I may not post much about history.  However,despite my age.... I never forget.    GO HOOSIERS  !

BTW - thanks for the warm welcome!  it took me a little while to figure it out, but i really wanted to stick with the same group.  i have never been on any other message baord other than Peegs when i was first trying to decide which one i wanted to follow years ago.  i chose the old Scout site and have been part of all 3 now.  good to see all the same voices.

On 8/21/2017 at 9:25 PM, milehiiu said:

That would be Teamwork. In 20+ years of message boards he has to be on the Mt. Rushmore of idiotic. His obsession with IU was pretty entertaining. 

Archived