Allen Giving Up Defensive Coordinator Role?

I don't think it would be a mistake.  We know that Allen knows his defense, so if he goes and hires a d-coordinator, I'd have to think he's going to pick someone he knows can do the job.  He will still be coaching defense; it just won't be his full time job on top of being the head coach.

I think Allen needs to be THE head coach.  I don't think giving someone else head coaching responsibilities is necessarily a good idea,  and it seems Debord has too much control over the offense.  We've seen some instances where Allen seems truly frustrated with play calling in the red zone and in impactful situations.

The only thing that concerns me with hiring a defensive coordinator is whether the IU administration will put assistants' salaries where they need to be for us to go out and get someone good.  That goes for the offensive coordinator position as well, and well, really, every assistant coaching position.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

They can work out the roles and titles.  I just think Allen needs to be focused on the defense.

He is the HC so he needs to focus on the team and not just one side of the ball.  He needs to delegate his duties and concentrate what is best for the program as a whole and not just the defense.

Even if Allen gives up the title of defensive coordinator, I can't imagine he'd give up all of the duties associated with it. He just needs somebody to be in charge of it at the times he needs to be a head coach, but it would still be Allen's defense.

Somebody like Kane Wommack who is familiar with Allen's scheme, and somebody who Allen can trust to carry out his game plan. Allen could still basically plan out the defense like he does now, but Wommack would have a bigger role to allow Allen more time to focus on other areas.

Then they could move Inge back to linebackers coach or get rid of Inge and hire a new LB coach. Allen could take over the responsibility of special teams coach to keep us at 10 coaches.

I love your work, Mike.  But I couldn’t disagree more.  He needs to be the CEO of the whole team and install themes, goals, etc. 

He can pop into meetings across position groups and as a whole with the offense, defense, and STs.  Manage the assistants.  Ensure we are playing complementary football and everyone is rowing in the same direction.  He can talk to all the players more evenly.  

People give him a hard time but he’s got philosophies.  You might see better team discipline if he’s able to meet with the team at a higher level than to be bogged down with the minutia of installing the defensive game plan.  

He can’t do that well if his mind is diverted in one direction.  

Archived