Hire Kliff Kingsbury NOW!!!

DeadOne

16 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Maybe...

In the B1G, unlike the Big 12, teams play defense.

If he would run a balanced offense, then fine. I don’t want to see the run and shoot or any of the other gimmicks they’ve run down there 

I was also just thinking.... give me substance and good situational playcalling, and I will take a few less style points.

We don't have to be the Brohm express. lol  Or resort to running Kevin Wilson's offense again(although I wouldn't complain if we were).

They really just need a competent gameplan and some recognition of what is developing out on the field within games. DeBord coached like he was oblivious to the benefits of establishing any kind of flow to his offense, and adverse to keeping it in the few instances they really started to get off out there. 

3 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

What would be your preference in an offense?

I have said many times that we have to pattern our program like Iowa and UW and build around a big offensive line who runs the ball.  We also need to build a great defense and have a ball control offense.  We don't have the playmakers on offense to run the spread because you need to have guys who can make people miss and we don't have that.  The spread offense totally kills your defense and you have to try to out score people and IU is not good enough to do that.  It works for teams like Oklahoma but their defense is terrible and they have to beat teams 59-56 which we can't do.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have said many times that we have to pattern our program like Iowa and UW and build around a big offensive line who runs the ball.  We also need to build a great defense and have a ball control offense.  We don't have the playmakers on offense to run the spread because you need to have guys who can make people miss and we don't have that.  The spread offense totally kills your defense and you have to try to out score people and IU is not good enough to do that.  It works for teams like Oklahoma but their defense is terrible and they have to beat teams 59-56 which we can't do.

Thanks, Scott.  I do remember now seeing you say that previously and you make a good point.  You can develop big lineman...but I think it may be harder to develop speed/playmakers.  I agree with you that Iowa is a good model.

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Iowa and UW has done very well without the spread offense

They also play in the weaker division.  I mean didn't Iowa get beat by North Dakota St. this year?  Wisconsin got beat by BYU.  How did that work against lessor opponents?  Basically what I am trying to say is that you have to be able to score points.  You have to be diverse in your offensive approach.  Which DeBord isn't.  But you have to be able to switch courses on a dime in a game situation.  No, I don't particularly care for the spread formation...but you have to have it your arsenal.  Just as I would say that with Ramsey they could have ran a stacked backfield this year.  Just my thoughts for now.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

They also play in the weaker division.  I mean didn't Iowa get beat by North Dakota St. this year?  Wisconsin got beat by BYU.  How did that work against lessor opponents?  Basically what I am trying to say is that you have to be able to score points.  You have to be diverse in your offensive approach.  Which DeBord isn't.  But you have to be able to switch courses on a dime in a game situation.  No, I don't particularly care for the spread formation...but you have to have it your arsenal.  Just as I would say that with Ramsey they could have ran a stacked backfield this year.  Just my thoughts for now.

I would take what Iowa and UW have done for the past 30 years here at IU

12 minutes ago, rico said:

I would take the W-L record for sure.  But the game has changed.

The only thing that matters to me is W/L.  I guess I am just tired of all the spread and passing the ball 50 times a game and really don't enjoy watching games with no defense.  Back in the early 80's I really enjoyed seeing teams like the Chargers(Foust) and Dolphins (Marino) pass the ball all around the field because nobody was doing it at the time.  Now everyone is doing it and it is get old and stale to me and rather see a game where teams actually can stop someone and not have scores of 59-56 or like LSU and TX A&M 74-72 in 7ot's

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The only thing that matters to me is W/L.  I guess I am just tired of all the spread and passing the ball 50 times a game and really don't enjoy watching games with no defense.  Back in the early 80's I really enjoyed seeing teams like the Chargers(Foust) and Dolphins (Marino) pass the ball all around the field because nobody was doing it at the time.  Now everyone is doing it and it is get old and stale to me and rather see a game where teams actually can stop someone and not have scores of 59-56 or like LSU and TX A&M 74-72 in 7ot's

Back in the 80's the LSU game would have been a tie.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So you want basketball to go back to the 80s, but you want football to move to the future. O.o

16 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

So you want basketball to go back to the 80s, but you want football to move to the future. O.o

Yes because the basketball product we saw on the court in the 80's was far superior to what we see today.  College football is way better today than it was in the 80's but I feel like you can still win by running the ball and playing great defense.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I don't mind OT but how the college game does it sucks

Seriously?? I love college OT, it's one of my favorite things in sports. 100x better than NFL overtime.

We will never be Iowa or Wisconsin. It would take another decade (or two) to even begin to implement a system like that, it ain't happening

1 hour ago, hoosier8760 said:

Seriously?? I love college OT, it's one of my favorite things in sports. 100x better than NFL overtime.

We will never be Iowa or Wisconsin. It would take another decade (or two) to even begin to implement a system like that, it ain't happening

Well if you were around in the 70's you could have said the same thing about UW in both basketball and football because they were the laughing stock of the big ten with NW.  For the OT they stop playing actually football because they start you in scoring position and it takes really no work to score in OT.

Archived