ACC/Big Ten Challenge

12 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

You know HTD has to be happy with the smellermaker game....

I didn't watch but just read recap. So Purdue was up 72-65 with under 4 to go and didn't score the rest of the game? Even for Purdue standards not closing that one out will hurt when resume needs a quality out of conference win come March. That's why Louisville win over Sparty was big. We beat Louisville in a couple of weeks it helps our resume even more.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Here's where I am on the youth thing as it relates to our team.

Michigan has Beilein's system in place and entrenched, and Beilein recruits guys to play in that system, and they are rolling really well with it.

We have basically one year of Archie's system with one recruiting class of the guys he sees playing in that system.  It's going to take a couple years at least before we are consistent.  The biggest "problem" we have right now is that Crean liked to recruit "athletes" and turn them into "basketball players" whereas Archie's system will feed more off basketball iq and effort than athleticism.

Smith is a good example of this.  He's obviously very athletic, but it appears to me that he's struggling with translating that into Miller's system.  While I'm not saying that Smith is going to be this, let's not forget that Oladipo was the textbook example of turning an "athlete" into a basketball player, so all is not lost, and Smith (as well as the rest of the team) has plenty of time to turn it around.  

The aforementioned reasons are also why we saw the turnovers increase when we started piling up the injuries.  Take away McRoberts and his leadership (he's the real floor leader on this team) as well as a few other key pieces, and we can't have quality 5-on-5 practices, and the system starts to break down in games.  Looking at before and after the Marquette game should calm any IU fan who is feeling nervous.  

One point regarding the Oladipo/Smith example to keep in mind is the individual desire to learn, improve, develop as a player.  Oladipo was/is driven in a way most of us will never understand.  Question remains...is Smith?

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I didn't watch but just read recap. So Purdue was up 72-65 with under 4 to go and didn't score the rest of the game? Even for Purdue standards not closing that one out will hurt when resume needs a quality out of conference win come March. That's why Louisville win over Sparty was big. We beat Louisville in a couple of weeks it helps our resume even more.

Actually, Purdue was up 72-64 with 3:41 left.  Never scored again.  A couple of missed shots, couple of missed free throws, and 5 turnovers in that time frame.

18 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Can this be pasted in the laughing at Purdue thread?

I occasionally go over to Gold and Black to see their utter stupidity.  I fond it hilarious that the very things they dog Romeo for and IU as a whole are the very things costing them games.

Most said RP came to IU because there would be no playing time for him. Today they are crying about, get used to this guys that's what basketball looks like without a point guard.  Man I love it. That place is full of Jack wagons. I go there to get my daily laughs and to see half of the posters kiss the backside of Nojel mom and the other half ripping him. 

So the B1G/ACC Challenge ends in a tie.  Probably good for the B1G.

Looks like UM has emerged as the favorite for title.   MSU and Purdue looking like pretenders?  How about Nebraska?  They took care of business.

Iowa and Wisky winning.  Maybe they are dark horses?

IU not looking so good right now.

45 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I occasionally go over to Gold and Black to see their utter stupidity.  I fond it hilarious that the very things they dog Romeo for and IU as a whole are the very things costing them games.

Most said RP came to IU because there would be no playing time for him. Today they are crying about, get used to this guys that's what basketball looks like without a point guard.  Man I love it. That place is full of Jack wagons. I go there to get my daily laughs and to see half of the posters kiss the backside of Nojel mom and the other half ripping him. 

Well Dad was over this morning giving me his breakdown on HIS Boilers.  "They suck"!  LOL  Told me he couldn't believe they pissed that one away.  Edwards shoots too much.  They don't take care of the ball.  And they have no front court.  Haarms is worthless.  Eifert serves no purpose out on the floor.  All takes from my old man, the Boiler alum and fan!

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Well Dad was over this morning giving me his breakdown on HIS Boilers.  "They suck"!  LOL  Told me he couldn't believe they pissed that one away.  Edwards shoots too much.  They don't take care of the ball.  And they have no front court.  Haarms is worthless.  Eifert serves no purpose out on the floor.  All takes from my old man, the Boiler alum and fan!

I'm sure that you were appropriately sympathetic.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Sorry for your Dad but I love it.  i dont know why but when I see Haarms. which is not much because I change it as soon as me messes with that mop on top, I picture those wind turbines around W. Laf just standing there not doing much just flipping around like his hair. Only difference the wind turbines actually produce something positive!!

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Sorry for your Dad but I love it.  i dont know why but when I see Haarms. which is not much because I change it as soon as me messes with that mop on top, I picture those wind turbines around W. Laf just standing there not doing much just flipping around like his hair. Only difference the wind turbines actually produce something positive!!

Dad can't stand that kid.  He hasn't said it, but I know damn well that hair bothers him!

1 hour ago, rico said:

Actually, Purdue was up 72-64 with 3:41 left.  Never scored again.  A couple of missed shots, couple of missed free throws, and 5 turnovers in that time frame.

I don't know Purdue's lineup by heart....but did all of this go on with 2 Seniors, CE, and according to his Mom future lottery pick Nojel Eastern all on the floor? That would be the devastating part. Upperclassmen should know better. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't know Purdue's lineup by heart....but did all of this go on with 2 Seniors, CE, and according to his Mom future lottery pick Nojel Eastern all on the floor? That would be the devastating part. Upperclassmen should know better. 

According to them they are a young team. when they get criticized for losing 4 starters they are the first to say that we have 2 seniors and a future NBA pick we are fine but when the wheels fall off we are so young.  Poor baby Boilers!!!

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Image result for drink tears gif

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McHoop

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't recall Eifert being on the floor.  I remember Cline, Edwards, Eastern, Haarms, and Boudreaux.  So by my count that is one Sr., 2 Juniors, and 2 Sophs.

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Let me add another nugget here. The football only loses in bad weather and the basketball only loses because the Reds are against them. Purdue would be undefeated if not for poor officiating,  not just this year FOREVER FOREVER

Are those the 'REDS' from Cincinnati or from Russia?  

41 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't recall Eifert being on the floor.  I remember Cline, Edwards, Eastern, Haarms, and Boudreaux.  So by my count that is one Sr., 2 Juniors, and 2 Sophs.

That's not a young lineup. Especially when Eastern and Edwards are going to be in the NBA next year.

3 hours ago, slojoe said:

So the B1G/ACC Challenge ends in a tie.  Probably good for the B1G.

Looks like UM has emerged as the favorite for title.   MSU and Purdue looking like pretenders?  How about Nebraska?  They took care of business.

Iowa and Wisky winning.  Maybe they are dark horses?

IU not looking so good right now.

Michigan has definitely looked good. Hard to tell on the others. Obviously IU has been dealing with injury issues and playing at Duke wasn't exactly an ideal matchup for the Challenge, so we'll have a much better feel after the next 3-5 games.

As far as Wisconsin and Iowa, both have looked good, but when using the BIG/ACC challenge as a barometer the matchups really play into it as well. While definitely a good win for Wisconsin, playing NC State at home is much, much easier than IU playing Duke on the road. 

Iowa has certainly looked good too, though some of the shine has come off that Oregon win after they lost too Texas Southern. And again as far as the BIG/ACC Challenge goes, Iowa beat Pitt at home by 1 point. Not exactly the most confidence building victory, and all this again while IU played at Duke.

I'm just saying there's a long season to go and things aren't always as they seem this early. Things like matchups and injuries matter. 

Even with Michigan I think we need to see more. Absolutely a great start for them, but sometimes the devil is in the details. The Villanova win is impressive with it being a road game and the sheer margin of victory, but at the same time this isn't the Villanova team from the last three seasons. I believe they have 4 new starters and they lost 4 guys to the NBA from last years team. It was a new Villanova team playing in one of their first few games together. 

Their other good wins (Providence and UNC) were both at home. Again, I'm not saying Michigan isn't good, just saying we might need to see more. If last nights game was at UNC we most likely have a different outcome and the feelings on Michigan might be different. 

Archived