Duke Postgame Thread

4 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Yeah....i kinda miss crazy eyes Archie....like alot.  Coach K was throwing his jacket n getting pissed when his team was up 20+.  I wish CAM woulda completely lost his shit on the sidelines.  Losses are going to happen, but itd be nice to have a handfull of Moye, Fife, young Shehee guys that just out meaned the other team.

Love me some   AJ Moye! 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, milehiiu said:

Something we never heard from Crean. 

You are correct sir! I sat and read this board throughout the game in hopes that IU would at least make it interesting. One thing that I did conclude from this is that IU played with them the second half, ...and sort of settled down. A Cream team would have lost by 40+. Archie has a lot of work to do with this team, however, I think he will have them ready to play in the NCAA tourney. Archie is a great coach, he proved that at Dayton. He just has to get these players to continue to buy in. 

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Al had a good second half.  Not sure anyone for us actually had a good game.  That said I think Al is a winner.  

Al is a below-average Big Ten rotational player IMO.  Him getting garbage time buckets while we were getting blown out by 30 doesn’t mean much.

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

You are correct sir! I sat and read this board throughout the game in hopes that IU would at least make it interesting. One thing that I did conclude from this is that IU played with them the second half, ...and sort of settled down. A Cream team would have lost by 40+. Archie has a lot of work to do with this team, however, I think he will have them ready to play in the NCAA tourney. Archie is a great coach, he proved that at Dayton. He just has to get these players to continue to buy in. 

Despite the loss.....I have not given up.... AND it is because of our coach....who does not put the blame on his players.  And as we say last year with our defense will figure things out before season's end.

7 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

itd be nice to have a handfull of Moye, Fife, young Shehee guys that just out meaned the other team.

There’s nobody like that on this team. As I said in my earlier post, I’m looking for Archie to sort of build this team in his likeness and we just frankly don’t have many guys like that yet. Morgan can be, I thought Durham might, but we just don’t have any “killer instinct”type of guys. 

6 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

If DeRon gets serious about his game, he can be that type of guy...loved the technical foul, even if it was a bogus call...he was mean-spirited and fierce, and I hope he can be that was consistently moving forward (we’ll see though—lots of laughing on the bench from him last year as we lost to Rutgers).

Agree, De’Ron has been playing really hard, I think we need that from some of our athletes too though. 

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree, De’Ron has been playing really hard, I think we need that from some of our athletes too though. 

De'Ron is an upperclassman. Despite his injuries , he is showing true grit.  Something, after watching decades of IU basketball, I have always come to expect, and respect.

I had to take a much needed sabbatical. Stress. Life. Depression. Med classes. Obsessive nature. Broke. IU letting me down yet again... Y'all get it.

I have no idea what my image on here is, but I try to keep it real on here. I really don't get off on posting negative stuff, but I'm passionate and do my research and trust my eyes. 

Are we still trusting Archie's system? I'm almost done with it.

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

I had to take a much needed sabbatical. Stress. Life. Depression. Med classes. Obsessive nature. Broke. IU letting me down yet again... Y'all get it.

I have no idea what my image on here is, but I try to keep it real on here. I really don't get off on posting negative stuff, but I'm passionate and do my research and trust my eyes. 

Are we still trusting Archie's system? I'm almost done with it.

7 games into his second season would be awfully early to stop trusting it. That doesn't mean you can't start looking for signs and trends, but I'm not sure we have enough sample size for a conclusion at this point. 

5 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Archie just said on his post game interview with Fisch that he and his coaching staff will take full responsibility for the teams preparation for this game. He said if you want to put blame on someone,  put it on me. He also said turnovers have absolutely killed us lately and we can not continue that trend to be successful. 

While I think this is the smart thing to say publically, I hope in private he is holding players accountable.

I’m with many of you: Justin Smith seems detached.  Saw a few plays where it looked like he chose NOT to mix it up.  

The game was over quickly.   The rebound that got away and turned into a Zion rim-abuse dunk, two quick fouls on Juwan, Duke pulls away.  

Phinisee is a tough frosh, but looked timid and that cost our ability to get offense started early.  

Turnovers by Al, Smith in the first kept Indiana from being able to put anything together.  

All told, nothing wrong with getting clocked cleaned early in the season.  Archie will have the team’s attention as they prep the remainder of the week.  

As some of you have said, would be ideal time to shake up lineup, and put DeRon in there just to see how rotations look and change the game.  

I am really not to worried.  I expected this and  my gut feeling is after the next 3 games everyone will feel much better.  Duke will make talented teams look bad at their place all year.  They made Kentucky look bad at a neutral court.  Once this team comes together we will be fine. Not in panic mode yet.

I have no idea why anyone is surprised by the result.  They haven't lost a non conference game at CI in almost 20 years.  They had the 3 best players on the court.  They were coming off a loss.  They have maybe the best coach of all time.  They were playing in maybe the most hostile environment in college basketball which if Assembly Hall is any indication might be worth 15 points vs a neutral site.  I mean how many times did Tom Crean blow out a good UNC team in this challenge only to get smacked when it really mattered in the tourney?  Relax.  We'll be fine.

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I have no idea why anyone is surprised by the result.  They haven't lost a non conference game at CI in almost 20 years.  They had the 3 best players on the court.  They were coming off a loss.  They have maybe the best coach of all time.  They were playing in maybe the most hostile environment in college basketball which if Assembly Hall is any indication might be worth 15 points vs a neutral site.  I mean how many times did Tom Crean blow out a good UNC team in this challenge only to get smacked when it really mattered in the tourney?  Relax.  We'll be fine.

There is losing, and there is the way you lose.  We did not lose in a way that should be accepted by anyone.

As far as your points about the players and the coaches, that's a problem.  We need to strive to have players of equal skill as the best team s in the country.  And, the coaching staff needs to bring the best out of the players we have.  In that regard, last night was a failure.

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Green has some moments on offense that make me wonder if he knows he is playing basketball, but as far as his defense goes, i think he has been pretty solid and by far our best perimeter defender.......other than McBob.

I don't think anyone was surprised that we lost at Duke.  If anyone was surprised than they have no idea about college basketball.  I think going into this year many people, myself included, felt real hope for the first time since the lose against Syracuse.  This year has not gone very well thus far.  Yes we beat Marquette, but I think our hope is that we are much better than these results.  It doesn't mean I don't think we can be a top tier program in the future, I just don't feel that confidence that we will.  It seems that we have been more optimistic in the off season for the better part of twenty years, I just can't wait until we are truly excited in season.  And not just excited that we have a few nice wins, but that we are putting a beat down on teams and that Duke fans are a little nervous when we come to town.  

3 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I don't think anyone was surprised that we lost at Duke.  If anyone was surprised than they have no idea about college basketball.  I think going into this year many people, myself included, felt real hope for the first time since the lose against Syracuse.  This year has not gone very well thus far.  Yes we beat Marquette, but I think our hope is that we are much better than these results.  It doesn't mean I don't think we can be a top tier program in the future, I just don't feel that confidence that we will.  It seems that we have been more optimistic in the off season for the better part of twenty years, I just can't wait until we are truly excited in season.  And not just excited that we have a few nice wins, but that we are putting a beat down on teams and that Duke fans are a little nervous when we come to town.  

And the '88-'89 team says hello.

After watching the final 32 minutes of this game I'm not surprised by the result. I think what I'm most disappointed in is that IU basketball over the last 20 years has put me in a mindset where I didn't think we even would have a chance last night. That never happened once growing up. Never. We would win anywhere, anytime, anyplace. 

However. This group needs to get healthy. Get playing together. And I'm not sure what the right word is for our offense...but I need the guys to loosen up a bit. They look tight.

The game went better than i expected actually.  We turned the ball over alot and let Duke pretty much have their way, but this game could have easily slid into the 40 point defeat i expected but we did fight a little to keep it around 20 for the second half.

Observations

1. way to many turnovers, same issue with had under Coach Crean

2.  Soft/Timid is the word to describe this team right now

3.  Last time we took a beat down by Duke, we had a really good rest of the year, so there is that hope

4.  Langford is going to need to work on his jumpshot.  Against upper tier teams he isn't always going to be able to go to the rim.

I am not worried yet about this team.  I am disappointed in them so far but they have alot of time to get better.  In another 10 games we will know who we are

12 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The game went better than i expected actually.  We turned the ball over alot and let Duke pretty much have their way, but this game could have easily slid into the 40 point defeat i expected but we did fight a little to keep it around 20 for the second half.

Observations

1. way to many turnovers, same issue with had under Coach Crean

2.  Soft/Timid is the word to describe this team right now

3.  Last time we took a beat down by Duke, we had a really good rest of the year, so there is that hope

4.  Langford is going to need to work on his jumpshot.  Against upper tier teams he isn't always going to be able to go to the rim.

I am not worried yet about this team.  I am disappointed in them so far but they have alot of time to get better.  In another 10 games we will know who we are

My sentiments exactly. It could be that Archie is spending way more time implementing the "Pack-Line Defense" than working on ball security, offensive sets and free throws. Amidst all of this, trying to do this with key player injuries is a recipe for disaster. This was bound to happen and it is good that it happened early. Heck, Duke hammered UK by 34 pts on a neutral court. Duke made them look like a JV high school team. 

I never expected a win at Duke last night, I just hoped we would look competitive. I observed many players overwhelmed, deer in the head lights and on their heels. If we were at Assembly Hall, we still probably loose, but I bet it would be play better,  harder, and with more purpose. The thing IU has to understand is that if you want to be considered a GOOD team, you have to play well enough to win anywhere, home or away.

I wasn't too worried about losing to Duke, it went how I thought.  Juwan or Romeo gets two quick fouls(Which Juwan did), we are careless with the ball early on.  These two issues def didn't help us stay close. 

Now if we lose to either Northwestern or Penn State in these next two games, then I will start to worry a little. 

Archived