Duke Postgame Thread

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, rico said:

The point is that team staggered into Big Ten play.....just as the '80-'81 team did.  If you don't understand, I don't know what to tell you.

I think I haven't articulated my thoughts and feelings well.  I would feel differently about us if CAM has won a NC at IU within the past few years.  Of course we have had bad starts to seasons and finished strong.  Of course there are examples of coaches who had tough starts but put together hall of fame careers.  Could this be in the cards for CAM, I hope so.  The difference is that the '80-'81 and '88-'89 teams were coached by somebody who had proven he could win it all.  I am a huge fan of CAM, however until he proves it, until the team proves it, I can't be overly confidence in the future. Nowhere in my thinking does the thought "CAM can't win and the season  can't be successful".  This all has to do with my confidence. Until I see it, I won't be confident that it will happen.  Anyone who thought RMK couldn't build a winner in '80-'81 and '88-'89 would have been in denial about his recent successes.  Does this make better sense?

1 hour ago, SIHoosier26 said:

Well it sure didn't look like it, and I've got to be honest if that was a "solid effort" we are going to be in a lot of trouble this year.

If IU brings that effort into Saturday Northwestern will walk all over us and then we will need to be worried.

Again, turnovers resulting in 24 points and 17 points in transition is what made this loss look so bad. If you cut that in half and lose by nine points at Cameron Indoor Stadium, we walk out with our heads above our shoulders. Sloppy play and nerves is what I’m chalking this up to. Effort is sometimes misconceiving when you’re watching your team get blown out. If we quit, and didn’t put forth any effort than we get beat worse than Kentucky did at BFH. We didn’t quit. We were overwhelmed and by the time the boys adjusted, the game was already well in hand. 

Let’s not forget that K played his starters until there were 2-3 minutes left in the game and was visibly upset with his players 2nd half performance. 

Good news is, we don’t have to go back to their Cracker Jack Box that they call a gym!!

1 hour ago, IUDan93 said:

I think I haven't articulated my thoughts and feelings well.  I would feel differently about us if CAM has won a NC at IU within the past few years.  Of course we have had bad starts to seasons and finished strong.  Of course there are examples of coaches who had tough starts but put together hall of fame careers.  Could this be in the cards for CAM, I hope so.  The difference is that the '80-'81 and '88-'89 teams were coached by somebody who had proven he could win it all.  I am a huge fan of CAM, however until he proves it, until the team proves it, I can't be overly confidence in the future. Nowhere in my thinking does the thought "CAM can't win and the season  can't be successful".  This all has to do with my confidence. Until I see it, I won't be confident that it will happen.  Anyone who thought RMK couldn't build a winner in '80-'81 and '88-'89 would have been in denial about his recent successes.  Does this make better sense?

Yes, that makes better sense.

This thread has become tedious.

We lost.

We played crappy 

Duke is good 

We are young and showed it

Everyone needs to play better 

We’ve still only lost two games this season 

Long season ahead 

Panic and/or hand-wringing looks lame

CAM and staff will figure out how to motivate these kids to play hard

More important things in life to stress over

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

We lost.

We played crappy 

Duke is good 

Long season ahead 

Agree X100

15 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

We lost.

We played crappy 

Duke is good 

Long season ahead 

Isn't this why we have Basketball forums, to talk about tedious things?  Otherwise everyone would be supper happy and we would all think the same.  i get your point but i don't think its the duke game in particular that have people like this.  Its the eerily similar play to what we had for the last 10 years.  Being behind at Home to UC Davis and pulling it out in the 2nd half.  Not playing particularly well against UT Arlington and dropping one to Arkansas on the road.  Turnovers, sloppy play, and the inability to shoot a free throw.  These things make people nervous and long for what we hoped was a start to a rise back to the national stage.  Its early, we have plenty go time to right the ship and move forward.  The last stomping by Duke led us to a pretty decent year after Blackmon got hurt.  Maybe this beating will allow the guys to rise to the top and put forth better effort.  Maybe they won't and we win 17 games this year and everyone is disappoint again.  Its why we watch basketball and why we are fan and have forums like this to go and talk with like minded people about our worries.

Archived