Why all the turnovers guys?

Hoosier98

Unforced turnovers seem to be a huge problem for the guys these days, but what is causing them?  I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for anyone, but I feel like some people are really overreacting to this.  Rob is going to be a really good point guard, he showed his potential in Marquette game.  He has never experienced anything like the pressure of Duke or Cameron Indoor before in his life.  The chemistry of our offense is going to get better too, it wasn't too long ago that the Hoosiers busted out to a 20 point lead on Marquette in the first few minutes of the game.  Down goes McRoberts, down goes Green, roles changed.  The players adapted on the fly against a lesser than Duke team, Arkansas, and had that game in the palm of their hands.  Then comes short rested, overplayed Hoosiers against two teams that they should have blown out.  Now comes Duke, and Morgan's 2nd foul, and The Best point guard prospect in the nation.  Recipe for disaster.  The name INDIANA on the chest wasn't enough.  

Now, conference season is here.  Most important game is the next game.  A few practices to work on their offense.  The best way to stop transition is to make baskets.  

Like Rico said, the backcourt is young and will only get better.  Couple that with people getting in a hurry and flustered last night (Fitzner trying to bring it up the court, Smith passing it right to Duke a couple times he picked up his dribble, etc) and it looks bad.  We improved by leaps and bounds by season's end with Newkirk and RoJo last year.  I have no doubt we will be greatly improved as the year progresses. 

3 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Like Rico said, the backcourt is young and will only get better.  Couple that with people getting in a hurry and flustered last night (Fitzner trying to bring it up the court, Smith passing it right to Duke a couple times he picked up his dribble, etc) and it looks bad.  We improved by leaps and bounds by season's end with Newkirk and RoJo last year.  I have no doubt we will be greatly improved as the year progresses. 

Exactly. I don't think we were ready for their press to start the game....Archie needs to have us working on that all year because with freshman and sophomores we are going to see a lot of that. They sped us up...we got down early and we got frazzled for sure. I mean how else do we throw the ball away on a 4-1 break....just inexcusable....and then we went back to the ol dribble the ball to the baseline and either step out or jump in the air with no place to go Crean stuff. I didn't see this in the first several games....I'm just going to chalk it up to a team playing scared. Hopefully we settle down.

Coaching at a small school I learned a valuable lesson.  We were unstoppable against our JV very good against our non starters but not so good against other teams starters. I had to adjust practice so that our offense was 5 on 0 but all competitive drills I matched my best players against each other to simulate game situations as best as possible.

Our guys are not able to get what they need until we are healthy 

17 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I yearn for the day when I don't hear "we're young".

Seems that's all I've heard when referencing IU BBall the past few seasons.....

To me this is the last year to really use that unless something happens unexpectedly. We will have sophs and juniors able to carry the load. As long as we keep recruiting like we are I am hopeful we will have a mostly upper classmen led team that have had a few years in Archie's system. 

20 minutes ago, Jacarcio said:

To me this is the last year to really use that unless something happens unexpectedly. We will have sophs and juniors able to carry the load. As long as we keep recruiting like we are I am hopeful we will have a mostly upper classmen led team that have had a few years in Archie's system. 

We’ll hear it all next year too.  “We only have two seniors and three juniors, and they’re all Crean’s recruits. Eight of our scholarship players are freshmen and sophomores, etc., etc.”

Archived