Fan short for Fanatic

IU Scott

Once again after a night where I yelled and cussed at the TV about our poor play I thought to myself why as fans do we let the outcome of a game get us so upset. We are not part of the team and we have no control over the game but we let players and coaches that we don't really know effect how we act.  We want players benched or coaches fired if they don't do their jobs perfectly so how would we like if they came to our work and criticized everything we did. When my kids were younger and asked me why I get so upset over a game that is not that important and I really ever had a good answer.

I just wanted to start a thread that was not about the game last night or how the coaches were doing.  Do we get upset because t is just a pride thig or is it do we want to have bragging rights over our friends who are fans of another team.  I just want to hear others point of view of why they get so upset when your team loses when it really has no impact over our lives.

Also I wonder why we have such a problem with people who have a different opinion when it comes to sports.  I know when discussing sports I try to defend my position to the death and will argue trying to get others to change their minds but have no reason why I do that.

As it relates to IU. I have so much pride and love for my school, our team, and the state. It hurts a tad when we lose. When Harvey Updyke said the phrase I guess I have too much Bama in me......I can say that applies to my love for IU as well. 

I have other college and pro teams (Canes, Bears, Cubs, Tiger,etc...) that I support as a die hard sports fan but nothing drums up the passion like IU and specifically IU Hoops. To answer your question. I love IU. And it hurts when I don't see them do well. That's all I got.

" I have other college and pro teams that I support as a die hard sports fan, but nothing drums up the passion like IU and specifically IU Hoops."

"I love IU. And it hurts when I don't see them do well. "

THIS.

I cannot tell you the exact moment I became an IU basketball fan. I can however remember where I was and can picture everything about the moment Indiana won the national championship game in 1987 as an 8 year old in southern Indiana. I dont know how or why it has taken ahold of my emotions and to be honest, my sports focus for many years but, IUBB just matters to me more than any other team or player.

I work at a bar and grill on an island in Florida. I meet and work with sports fans everyday from all over the country and even the world for that matter. *(And by the way,  "how would we like if they came to our work and criticized everything we did." They DO. I'm used to that after 15+ years in this industry.)*

For instance, I had to serve food and drinks to an older purdue graduate while he watched the bucket game, as I had to maintain other guests I couldnt exactly watch the game but he sure wasnt shy about telling me what was going on and the outcome.

My co-worker who is from Arkansas made a wager with me on the IU/ARK game and won a bottle of vodka from me... My other co-worker who is a duke fan mind you I have not worked with yet.. No bet there for obvious reasons.

What I am trying to say is, Sports are a big part of peoples lives. It can bring together and divide not only Family but unknown strangers as well. People all day ask me where I am from and I tell them southern Indiana (as I still have my drawl) and most times it triggers a sports or sport related question. It's as if we cannot escape it, our passion for the team (as much as we wanna tame it at times) isnt something that can be put "outta sight = outta mind" when it's constantly being brought up.

I think I had this epiphany last night when I turned the channel so I wouldnt go to sleep grumpy & have it affect my work today. I realized how invested I was, emotionally-monetarily- and time wise (asking off on days that IU plays big games)  It also made me realize that I was looking through "crimson colored glasses" when comparing IUBB of then with what it has been the last 30 years.

I think I am starting to see what the outsiders have been for many years now. IUBB has been "outta sight and outta mind" of the college basketball hierarchy for quite some time now. It was sad to see but it's almost as if ESPN was using us as fodder for their ratings. I am going to actively try not to invest TOO much of myself anymore, gonna try and ween myself little by little and after a while I will realize that I should expect a championship IUBB team every 40 years or so. No more all in on these "so you're saying we have a chance??!!" years I get caught up in every so often.

In recent years I've learned to put the fan aspect into perspective and stop letting things I have zero control over ruin my night/week/whatever. That isn't to say I don't still get heated in during games but once the game is over, I move on. Even with IU athletics where yes, as an alumni I feel a strong connection and emotions run high. 

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I take more pride in IU the university than I do IU the basketball team. 

I'm the opposite here. The university itself stands for many things I don't, however I graduated from there and I do generally like the school. However I (like many alums) care much more about athletics at this point...so there ya go

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Once again after a night where I yelled and cussed at the TV about our poor play I thought to myself why as fans do we let the outcome of a game get us so upset. We are not part of the team and we have no control over the game but we let players and coaches that we don't really know effect how we act.  We want players benched or coaches fired if they don't do their jobs perfectly so how would we like if they came to our work and criticized everything we did. When my kids were younger and asked me why I get so upset over a game that is not that important and I really ever had a good answer.

I just wanted to start a thread that was not about the game last night or how the coaches were doing.  Do we get upset because t is just a pride thig or is it do we want to have bragging rights over our friends who are fans of another team.  I just want to hear others point of view of why they get so upset when your team loses when it really has no impact over our lives.

Also I wonder why we have such a problem with people who have a different opinion when it comes to sports.  I know when discussing sports I try to defend my position to the death and will argue trying to get others to change their minds but have no reason why I do that.

I really think a lot of it is what you said -- bragging rights with friends/family.  That's what shaped it for me.  I've been an IU fan for as long as I can remember, but the real burning passion came from people at school that liked other teams and basically started a war.  I think I floated to school in 87 (8th grade) when we went back to school after the national title.  

Def bragging rights with friends/family.  On my dads side, majority of them are Kentucky fans to like 3 IU fans.  So when it comes march madness and they are always expected to make the National Championship game, I let em hear it when they lose in the elite 8 or sweet 16. 

I have noticed that with IU I am more engaged as far as cheering when they are doing good, when they aren't doing the greatest in a game I just sit and relax without getting upset.  Now the Pacers on the other hand is a different animal, when they are doing good I am cheering and hollering, however when they aren't doing good in a game I find myself yelling from the stands or yelling at the TV or throwing a stress ball at the tv when the refs make a bad call or when Tyreke Evans makes a lazy uninspired pass. 

Like everyone else I have my favorite teams IU, Colts, Pacers and Reds but IU basketball is my passion.  I am a lot better today than I was 20 years ago and it started when my kids were younger and asked why I yelled at ball games.  Also it seems like fans have more trouble dealing with losses than they do enjoying wins.  Just look at message boards or talk shows because the volume is a lot more after losses.

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Because being from Indiana, basketball is in our DNA.

Hollywood has never made a basketball movie titled "Tarheels," "Blue Devils," or "Wildcats" (well, they did, but it was a girly movie about football and Goldie Hawn).

They did make a movie on what it is like to be from Kentucky it is called Deliverance LOL!

4 hours ago, hoosier8760 said:

I'm the opposite here. The university itself stands for many things I don't, however I graduated from there and I do generally like the school. However I (like many alums) care much more about athletics at this point...so there ya go

This is me as well.  I'm a USI grad but grew up cheering IU basketball from the early '70's.  Next year, my daughter will likely be in IU's dental school, but in general, there are several things I would change about IU's educational philosophy if I were in charge.  IU has also had some worrisome campus safety issues, making me glad my daughter did her undergrad at USI.  Likewise, there are several things about IU (medical and dental schools and the Kelley School of business) that IU has a right to be proud of and I enjoyed visiting my buddies for Little 500 back in my college days.

A mixed bag for me, but I don't see me ever not cheering for IU basketball.  That habit is very hard to break.

Archived