Is IU president (McRobbie) good for our athletic programs?

Artesian_86

6 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

We can all agree that IU sports, especially football, does not have McRobbie's best interest at all! However, I have been a bit disappointed in some of our posters negative descriptions of McRobbie with personal attacks. 

I could care less where our president was born, their race, or gender...even if he or she was an nerd.....I care more about how that person is open to suggestions, and understands the needs and importance of all departments from education to athletics. These areas should be able to thrive together equally.

Nothing wrong with that...but athletically we need a president that cares about sports.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Mitch is one of the most well respected, financially frugal and extremely intelligent people out there. I would love for him to be at IU. Honestly if it wasn't for the wifey....he might be sitting in the oval office right now. 

....Any prototypes like that out there who could possibly bless IU with their new refreshing views, with a strong appreciation for athletics?

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

....Any prototypes like that out there who could possibly bless IU with their new refreshing views, with a strong appreciation for athletics?

I wish I knew. My cousin is in administration at Marquette. Even up there they know, respect and hear about Mitch all the time. Kind of like a coaching tree....there has to be someone who has been MD's right hand person along the way we could get. Haha...

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Pence and Helmke.  I doubt Mike would be interested in the job....but Paul(as I have already said), is on IU's faculty already.  For those that don't know who he is.  He is the former Mayor of Fort Wayne, but he was born in Bloomington.

3 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

We can all agree that IU sports, especially football, does not have McRobbie's best interest at all! However, I have been a bit disappointed in some of our posters negative descriptions of McRobbie with personal attacks. 

I could care less where our president was born, their race, or gender...even if he or she was a nerd.....I care more about how that person is open to suggestions, and understands the needs and importance of all departments from education to athletics. These areas should be able to thrive together equally.

Thank you for saying that.  I did mention that he’s foreign, but I was cryptic.  I’m certainly not anti-foreigner.  I made reference to it only in the context that he is clueless of how the puzzle fits together.  Now that you mention it, I regret that I said it, but please understand that I only meant it in the sense that he may not understand how the vitality of football and basketball are important since he did not grow up immersed in it.  

A university president can ensure that academics are at the forefront and develop a lead role in exciting new technologies and disciplines such as informatics. But, at the same time, you can ensure the sports programs excel, which by extension keeps alumni engaged (i.e., $$$), and brings visibility to the school, which can in turn attract talent, whether it be students, faculty, or administration. 

Peer institutions of IU’s can figure out how to do all of this simultaneously.  Do a complete job, that’s why I referenced walking and chewing gum at the same time.   

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thank you for saying that.  I did mention that he’s foreign, but I was cryptic.  I’m certainly not anti-foreigner.  I made reference to it only in the context that he is clueless of how the puzzle fits together.  Now that you mention it, I regret that I said it, but please understand that I only meant it in the sense that he may not understand how the vitality of football and basketball are important since he did not grow up immersed in it. 

Im quoting this because I also used the term foreign and my intention was the same.  Also used the word nerd not as an insult but for brevity.  I just think the above and him being an academic leads to not understanding the importance of sports to a university.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Mitch is one of the most well respected, financially frugal and extremely intelligent people out there. I would love for him to be at IU. Honestly if it wasn't for the wifey....he might be sitting in the oval office right now. 

I think there are a lot of qualities still missing there in someone that would lead a large scale academic and research institution.  Not a knock against Mitch just more stating I think his resume is not one of someone I would expect to be the leader IU needs.  Academically he has already made many decisions at Purdue that I would tell you hurts Purdue and their prestige as an academic institution, not helps.

17 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

So I have stated in many post this is a well known thing.  When it comes to sports McRobbie does IU no favors.  This is not just him though, there is a effort throughout the entire IU Board to make sure IU sports does not better biggger than academics.  You can particularly thank Bob Knight and Former President Herbert for this.  McRobbie is seeing IU through the bicentennial in 2020 and will be out by July that year.  Giving IU plenty of time to find his successor.  None of you should get your hopes up on a replacement that will invest more into sports.  We likely will see an internal successor that will have the same overall feeling on sports.

But on the flip side if you take sports out of it I would tell you overall McRobbie has been solid for IU.  IU has had large success in fund raising and growing many of the major schools and programs on all campuses.  Money is pouring in, research is doing well, the partnership with IU health continues to grow.  Additionally in the online education space we are taking a well thought out approach across all campuses where IU faculty from our proven programs are teaching online courses in well planned and thought out ways.  Mitch Daniels bought Kaplan online and slapped the Purdue name on it to catch up with no thought into what they were teaching and what it would do to the overall value of a Purdue degree.  No president will make decisions everyone will like but overall McRobbie has been an asset to the University.

Back to athletics, it makes you realize why Fred has gotten so many outside donors to pay up.  He knew that’s the only way he could get more value into the program.  I have blasted Glass plenty but maybe he has done what he could with what he does best, build stadiums/assets and raise money.  If he can’t get the money to pay salaries he controls what he can?  No matter what you think of McRobbie he and the board are definitely not helping IU athletics be the best it can be IMO.

One thing about academics that I don't like is that they are more focus on the out of state students than in state.  I know that there is more money when you have out of state students but to me in state kids would have more pride in being part of Indiana University.  Also with getting more out of state students I think it has an affect on support for your sports teams.  These kids did not grow up watching and being a fan of IU so when they get there  is no investment in those teams.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

A university president can ensure that academics are at the forefront and develop a lead role in exciting new technologies and disciplines such as informatics. But, at the same time, you can ensure the sports programs excel, which by extension keeps alumni engaged (i.e., $$$), and brings visibility to the school, which can in turn attract talent, whether it be students, faculty, or administration. 

Peer institutions of IU’s can figure out how to do all of this simultaneously.  Do a complete job, that’s why I referenced walking and chewing gum at the same time.   

No worries.. Thanks for the kind explanations...I guess I am a little sensitive about some of these comments.  I am a high school teacher and married to a beautiful hispanic woman with two incredible bi-racial daughters.  I see and hear a lot of negative uneducated things. 

20 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

No worries.. Thanks for the kind explanations...I guess I am a little sensitive about some of these comments.  I am a high school teacher and married to a beautiful hispanic woman with two incredible bi-racial daughters.  I see and hear a lot of negative uneducated things. 

May I ask what region do you live in?

Archived