Northwestern Pregame Thread

The one big thing I am looking for as we move forward with a healthy roster is improvement through continuity. After all the chicken little, sky is falling crap that predictably flowed following the Duke loss (that would’ve likely happened regardless of our until now decimated roster), what I think we will see is a team that can now practice together and grow together. I don’t think it can be understated how important a piece that will be that has been missing. 

With Louisville and Butler looming, I want to see steady progress and victories against some of our other stiff foes, see what we learned against Arkansas and Duke.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Yes.  He's more than capable of guarding most college 4's, and if you're going with the best 5 players, you start him.  Also, it's not like he's a small guy.  He's 6'6".

The thing I would push back on there is that I want McRoberts guarding the other teams best wing. He's an elite perimeter/wing defender, so let's leave him in a position to do what he does best, and I want him defending the other teams best wing so that Langford doesn't have to. 

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The thing I would push back on there is that I want McRoberts guarding the other teams best wing. He's an elite perimeter/wing defender, so let's leave him in a position to do what he does best, and I want him defending the other teams best wing so that Langford doesn't have to. 

Then that means you start (DD or Smith), Morgan (Rob or Green) Langford and McBob

I would rather have both Green and Rob on the court with a small line-up over the bigger line up with DD or Smith on the floor.

Which mean you either have Langford or McBob at the 4 

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Then that means you start (DD or Smith), Morgan (Rob or Green) Langford and McBob

I would rather have both Green and Rob on the court with a small line-up over the bigger line up with DD or Smith on the floor.

Which mean you either have Langford or McBob at the 4 

Smith has really thrown a wrench in this entire thing. If Smith was playing the way he's capable of, it's a no-brainer, you go Morgan, Smith, McRoberts, Langford, Phinisee/Green (whichever ends up commanding the position). 

53 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Naah, 0-2 and 0-3 mean nothing. 5-6, 3-4, 6-7 and 4-6 --  and 0-1, and 0-2 mean nothing. 4-4, and 3-3 from the arc reflect his shooting, and he's a career 40%-plus shooter

I'm not sure the stats I posted demonstrate a long term trend (hence the "so far") but I've watched every game from tip to buzzer and I see him as the kind of kid that, when he hits the first couple, he can shoot the other team out of the gym. If he misses a couple, he hesitates to shoot. 

The other thing I noticed, was in the first few games, he showed off some nice footwork and post moves with either hand. Haven't seen that lately.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Smith has really thrown a wrench in this entire thing. If Smith was playing the way he's capable of, it's a no-brainer, you go Morgan, Smith, McRoberts, Langford, Phinisee/Green (whichever ends up commanding the position). 

You’re completely right, and I agree with that lineup in a perfect world.  Unfortunately, Smith is not playing well right now, so that why I said you start McRoberts in his place.  You start you’re five best and figure out the defensive matchups later.  Also, I like the way Al has been playing, and he’s showing to be the good shooter we all heard about last year.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not sure the stats I posted demonstrate a long term trend (hence the "so far") but I've watched every game from tip to buzzer and I see him as the kind of kid that, when he hits the first couple, he can shoot the other team out of the gym. If he misses a couple, he hesitates to shoot. 

The other thing I noticed, was in the first few games, he showed off some nice footwork and post moves with either hand. Haven't seen that lately.

He can definitely put it on the floor and work to the rim and can pick and roll, would like to see more of that. 

He is a 40 plus percent career deep shooter - he’s not streaky - could be that missing his early shots throws him off but 1) we’re early in the season and 2) the number of shots you’re looking at is very low. I wouldn’t worry about his shooting, kid’s a seriously good shooter 

3 hours ago, JEFFVETTE said:

I'm glad you posted this. My calender says 5pm.

Was originally scheduled at 5 but oved back to 1 to accommodate Northwestern being in the B10 football championship game.  Like we wanted them to be able to attend at Assembly Hall anyway - LOL!

12 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He can definitely put it on the floor and work to the rim and can pick and roll, would like to see more of that. 

He is a 40 plus percent career deep shooter - he’s not streaky - could be that missing his early shots throws him off but 1) we’re early in the season and 2) the number of shots you’re looking at is very low. I wouldn’t worry about his shooting, kid’s a seriously good shooter 

The kids isn't a streaky shooter, he is a streaky scorer.  Just like McBob.  He can hit the shot, he either just doesn't or passes it to someone else.  Fitz can shoot but he disappears in games and against lower caliber talented team.  That is the most concerning to me.  I would rather he shoot 32% 3 but average 8 every game.  But its early and he is still getting used to big boy basketball and will level out

18 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i feel we aren't a really good shooting team.  We get alot of shots around the basket but if we had to rely on shooting mid range and long range balls, i would't really want IU as my team.  Maybe i am way off but its how i feel.  Am i crazy?

i know that modern basketball is all about shoot the 3, shoot the 3, but i think we look best when we are moving the ball, hitting guys inside and slashing.  i like high % shots and better team ball rather than drive and kick for the 3.  

Archived