Northwestern Pregame Thread

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i know that modern basketball is all about shoot the 3, shoot the 3, but i think we look best when we are moving the ball, hitting guys inside and slashing.  i like high % shots and better team ball rather than drive and kick for the 3.  

I am not so much talking about the 3 and maybe its college basketball in general but we don't really shoot jump shots do we?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The kids isn't a streaky shooter, he is a streaky scorer.  Just like McBob.  He can hit the shot, he either just doesn't or passes it to someone else.  Fitz can shoot but he disappears in games and against lower caliber talented team.  That is the most concerning to me.  I would rather he shoot 32% 3 but average 8 every game.  But its early and he is still getting used to big boy basketball and will level out

I think it's more him and everyone else trying to figure out where they're going to get their shots within the offense.  His two best games came against our best competition so far in Marquette and Duke.  I don't think he's getting used to playing "big boy basketball", I just think it's getting adjusted to a new offense he's never ran.  Plus, he's not the type of player to force anything, just like McRoberts.  They play within the offense and maybe a little too reserved for our liking at times.  In regards to the "big boy basketball" comment, he came from St. Mary's who plays in the WCC and faces Gonzaga every year in their conference, and has made the tourney in the past.  They're not very good this year, but it's not like he's never faced good competition.

With the team’s recent struggles, the Big Ten looking like a dogfight, and a tough three game stretch coming up, this one is about as much of a must-win as any December 1 game can be.  Team has to ratchet up the intensity on defense, and hopefully Archie can figure out a way to really get Romeo going.  

I think the good guys pull out an ugly win, 76-68.

With McBob back, will he return to the starting lineup? I don't think they did anything in the games he was gone that looked better than when he was starting. Hopefully he is feeling well enough to get starter minutes. Al has looked good, but man they played well with him coming off the bench.  It would also decrease the need to use Devonte as primary ball handler when Rob needs a break.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Gotta win tomorrow or we're at serious risk of missing the dance.

Nope. Simply not the case.

If you ever wonder what makes the level-headed among us scratch our heads, it’s gross generalizations that aren’t rooted in a shred of truth like this one.

Just now, Hoosier98 said:

This is the lineup I predicted before the season started, but then Smith started.  I would like to see how it works!

Reason why I am intrigued, is because if Archie is truly about defense I think Phinisee/Romeo/McRob and Morgan bring that(Fitzner would be the weakest out of these 5) but also all 5 can shoot the 3 ball at a good rate.   

Back in the good ol' days---

-When kids stayed at beloved State U for 4 years instead of running off to the pros

-When the game was more fundamentally sound

-When teams shot more 2 point shots than 3 point shots. And when teams made their free throws.....

A game vs Northwestern was not pencilled in as a win, it was etched in stone.

Not sure we'll ever, nor should we, return to the first three.

Time for the last comment to be the expectation, not the "we better, or else"

IU starts beating these kinds of opponents like we used to.....89-54

4 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

If we can't beat NW at home we're in trouble.  Fact.

Perhaps. But, that’s not what you said. You said we would totally miss the dance. You said we would totally miss the dance.  Which, at this stage of the game, is impossible to know. If you say something, own it. Don’t move the goalposts and act like what you said automatically has multiple meetings.

54 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Perhaps. But, that’s not what you said. You said we would totally miss the dance. You said we would totally miss the dance.  Which, at this stage of the game, is impossible to know. If you say something, own it. Don’t move the goalposts and act like what you said automatically has multiple meetings.

Not what I said.  I said we're at serious risk of missing the dance.  Try to keep up.

Archived