Bracketology

KDB

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Someone needs to put the crack pipe away.  :coffee:

Playing devils advocate....I think we would need to win 5 of our last 10 games.....and then a BTT game. 

That resume would likely get us in fairly easily, as we don't have any actual bad losses, and would end up with half a dozen or so top 50 wins.

How they win 5 more games? Hard to see happening.  We do have 6 more home games, but we've sucked as much at home as we have away.

6 minutes ago, twenty02 said:

Playing devils advocate....I think we would need to win 5 of our last 10 games.....and then a BTT game. 

That resume would likely get us in fairly easily, as we don't have any actual bad losses, and would end up with half a dozen or so top 50 wins.

How they win 5 more games? Hard to see happening.  We do have 6 more home games, but we've sucked as much at home as we have away.

That's the tough part. We actually don't have "bad losses"....and this isn't the first bracket where they still have us in the conversation. Obviously we have a favorable schedule down the road with home games vs Iowa, Wiscy, Sparty, Purdue where we could beef up our resume. I'll keep going back to Oklahoma last year. 18-14 and they got in because not many bad losses....if any. 

37 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the tough part. We actually don't have "bad losses"....and this isn't the first bracket where they still have us in the conversation. Obviously we have a favorable schedule down the road with home games vs Iowa, Wiscy, Sparty, Purdue where we could beef up our resume. I'll keep going back to Oklahoma last year. 18-14 and they got in because not many bad losses....if any. 

Every year there seems like an 18 win team from a power conference in the field. I just don't see us getting to 18 wins, but it's still there for the taking. 

52 minutes ago, twenty02 said:

Every year there seems like an 18 win team from a power conference in the field. I just don't see us getting to 18 wins, but it's still there for the taking. 

IU made it in '90 with 18 wins and a losing conference record.

On 2/1/2019 at 12:45 PM, IU Scott said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

He still has us in and playing in one of the play in games

If we could get in as a last four, I'd take that all day. The first four game environment at Dayton Arena would be insane. You win that, then it's against a 6-seed (usually a very winnable match-up for an 11 seed), to a potential 3 seed match-up. Even though you play an extra game, I'd prefer that path to being an 8 or 9 seed.

Just allowing myself to dream a bit

Such an interesting scenario...

What if IU only gets 4 more wins, but they are against ranked Iowa, ranked Wisconsin, ranked Purdue and home against Rutgers? 

That's a lot of really good wins. I would say if that happens, and we get a win in the BTT, We are in with 18 wins. 

9 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Such an interesting scenario...

What if IU only gets 4 more wins, but they are against ranked Iowa, ranked Wisconsin, ranked Purdue and home against Rutgers? 

That's a lot of really good wins. I would say if that happens, and we get a win in the BTT, We are in with 18 wins. 

I have a hard time seeing 18-15 being enough.  Maybe if we had a 10 -10 league record, but your scenario had us at 8-12 in conference.  

One thing that scenario definitely requires is that teams like Buffalo and Gonzaga win their conference tournaments.

Just now, 5fouls said:

I have a hard time seeing 18-15 being enough.  Maybe if we had a 10 -10 league record, but your scenario had us at 8-12 in conference.  

One thing that scenario definitely requires is that teams like Buffalo and Gonzaga win their conference tournaments.

Yea, but I think I read somewhere that ASU got in the tournament last year with a bad conference record too. 

I could be mistaken on the team. I'll go look

1 minute ago, cohete15 said:

Yea, but I think I read somewhere that ASU got in the tournament last year with a bad conference record too. 

I could be mistaken on the team. I'll go look

Yes, ASU was 8-10, but had a nice road win @ Kansas. Outside of that win at Kansas, they only had one other win against a ranked opponent. 

One and done in conference tourney. 

BUT, They did have 20 wins. 

2 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Yes, ASU was 8-10, but had a nice road win @ Kansas. Outside of that win at Kansas, they only had one other win against a ranked opponent. 

One and done in conference tourney. 

BUT, They did have 20 wins. 

Ummmmmm, I am pretty sure they beat Xavier.

41 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

18-15 + a win in the BTT I think is enough.  But yea you are right about the conference tournaments.   Wofford and Lipscomb(which are head scratchers) are two more that need to win their tournaments.

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

18 wins ??

19+ we are dancing

IU's season so far looks a lot like Notre Dame last year. They started 13-3 and 3-0 in the ACC. Had a win over Wichita St and at Syracuse. They then lost seven straight. They then went 5-3 (not many good wins in there) to finish 18-13 and 8-10 in conference.  Got two wins in the ACCT to finish 20-14.

They went to the NIT

IU's schedule will make or break us. I think IA, OSU, PU, WI, and Rutgers at home are must wins. A loss at Illinois would look bad at the wrong time, too.

18 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

IU's season so far looks a lot like Notre Dame last year. They started 13-3 and 3-0 in the ACC. Had a win over Wichita St and at Syracuse. They then lost seven straight. They then went 5-3 (not many good wins in there) to finish 18-13 and 8-10 in conference.  Got two wins in the ACCT to finish 20-14.

They went to the NIT

IU's schedule will make or break us. I think IA, OSU, PU, WI, and Rutgers at home are must wins. A loss at Illinois would look bad at the wrong time, too.

I think u are right. Protect home court and win the road games that a tournament team should.

Archived