Bracketology

KDB

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

IU's season so far looks a lot like Notre Dame last year. They started 13-3 and 3-0 in the ACC. Had a win over Wichita St and at Syracuse. They then lost seven straight. They then went 5-3 (not many good wins in there) to finish 18-13 and 8-10 in conference.  Got two wins in the ACCT to finish 20-14.

They went to the NIT

IU's schedule will make or break us. I think IA, OSU, PU, WI, and Rutgers at home are must wins. A loss at Illinois would look bad at the wrong time, too.

Notre Dame's KenPom strength of schedule last year was 45. Ours is currently 7th. ND's ESPN BPI SOS was 50th. Ours is 6th. ND's RPI last year was 83. Our NET ranking is 43rd. These factors will absolutely make a difference.

OK so just looked at the new coaches poll and was kind of P....  that Marquette that got blown out by IU was 9, MSU that just lost at home to IU was 11, and Louisville that lost to IU was 17. Yet IU was no where near the list. However, it got me thinking, realistically IU has got to be one of the hardest decisions this year for the bracket builders to figure?? Seems like the only chance IU has is that they really don't have any horrible losses to go along with some pretty impressive wins. Time will tell, Time will tell. 

IF IU makes the tournament, then it means that the last seven games were almost assuredly directly related to IU's injury situation and inability to practice or have an effective bench during that stretch and all our speculation about other things were just manifestations of the effects that many injuries has on a team.

It would also mean that IU would likely be the most under-seeded team in the entire field given the resume wins they have right now and would likely acquire if they are going to win enough games to make the tournament.  I'd kind of like to see IU go on a run as 10-11 seed to show us all what they're really made of.

6 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

IF IU makes the tournament, then it means that the last seven games were almost assuredly directly related to IU's injury situation and inability to practice or have an effective bench during that stretch and all our speculation about other things were just manifestations of the effects that many injuries has on a team.

It would also mean that IU would likely be the most under-seeded team in the entire field given the resume wins they have right now and would likely acquire if they are going to win enough games to make the tournament.  I'd kind of like to see IU go on a run as 10-11 seed to show us all what they're really made of.

Would seem an easy bet that 2/3rds of the tourney teams will NOT have an away game win against a top 10 team! Probably not even a top 20 team!

55 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

OK so just looked at the new coaches poll and was kind of P....  that Marquette that got blown out by IU was 9, MSU that just lost at home to IU was 11, and Louisville that lost to IU was 17. Yet IU was no where near the list. However, it got me thinking, realistically IU has got to be one of the hardest decisions this year for the bracket builders to figure?? Seems like the only chance IU has is that they really don't have any horrible losses to go along with some pretty impressive wins. Time will tell, Time will tell. 

I'm not sure why a team with no bad losses and a lot of good wins would be a challenge. If we go 5-4 the rest the way and win 1 game in the BTT we should be safe. Do better than that and we are really cooking. 

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not sure why a team with no bad losses and a lot of good wins would be a challenge. If we go 5-4 the rest the way and win 1 game in the BTT we should be safe. Do better than that and we are really cooking. 

The plethora of losses in particular 7 in a row, which we as fans have been excruciating over give severe cause for concern! While we have some high quality wins, the number of losses make it hard to figure. I know bias aside I would have a hard time seeding IU. I think I would have to find a way to put IU in the tourney based on some impressive wins, but where?? 

Just now, Drroogh said:

The plethora of losses in particular 7 in a row, which we as fans have been excruciating over give severe cause for concern! While we have some high quality wins, the number of losses make it hard to figure. I know bias aside I would have a hard time seeding IU. I think I would have to find a way to put IU in the tourney based on some impressive wins, but where?? 

If we keep losing we won't get in, but assuming we can play just barely over .500 ball the rest of the way our total number of losses isn't going to be too many to make it and we'll have a really good resume aside from the number of losses. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

If we keep losing we won't get in, but assuming we can play just barely over .500 ball the rest of the way our total number of losses isn't going to be too many to make it and we'll have a really good resume aside from the number of losses. 

Like I said, we will see, we will see!  Don't disagree though!

Just now, Drroogh said:

Seeding committee has no issue putting power conference teams with a ton of losses in the tournament, especially if the computers like them and they’re a big name program.  See, e.g., Syracuse, Oklahoma, and Arizona State over the past few years.  IU is basically a lock to make the tournament if they go into Selection Sunday with 19 wins.  

Now where will be seeded?  I don’t know, but I also really don’t care at this point.

53 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Not necessarily. The chemistry issues have been there. It can also mean those issues have been handled, as they mostly appeared to be @MSU.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Seeding committee has no issue putting power conference teams with a ton of losses in the tournament, especially if the computers like them and they’re a big name program.  See, e.g., Syracuse, Oklahoma, and Arizona State over the past few years.  IU is basically a lock to make the tournament if they go into Selection Sunday with 19 wins.  

Now where will be seeded?  I don’t know, but I also really don’t care at this point.

Yep and UCLA recently. Here's to hoping our guys stand strong down the stretch.

3 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Most brackets have updated and we are the top 11 seed.

http://bracketmatrix.com/

There are 56 different brackets that go into the calculation.  College Sports Madness has Arizona as a 6 seed.  Only one other bracket has Arizona in at all, and that is as a 12 seed.  Someone isn't following college basketball.

Edit:  I take that back.  Apparently, there are 92 brackets and Arizona is mentioned in 4.  But, the point remains.  A 6 seed!

4 hours ago, rico said:

I wonder with that injury, where the Huskers could end up?

I like our chances of making the dance more than them.  They've lost 5 in a row.  They still have road games at PU, MSU and MI.   Looking at their 13 wins we are their best win.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

Archived