Indiana HS hoops

rico

4 minutes ago, rico said:

People talk about liking class basketball, but somehow that travel time should be involved.  My school, Whitko 2A, played at Westview.  But yet Manchester and Wabash, also 2A schools, played at Oak Hill.  The logistics of all this stuff just doesn't work.  They are sending schools all over the place because of the class system.  I don't like it.  Up north here...I could give several other examples.  JSMH

It's the logistics that I have an issue with, exactly.  Providing more opportunities for wins and championships, I'm good with (I wasn't in the beginning; I'm a convert).  

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Indiana High school ball needs a shot clock.  You really aren't preparing players for the next level without it.  I know most players aren't concerned with that, but games in the 20's are not very exciting.

Well in my day when a team tried to "stall" against us we picked up the tempo on the defensive end.  We swarmed them.  Wore them down.  Then they fall behind by 10 and they play "normal" ball.  That being said, I am all for the shot clock.  From what I am seeing...I don't like.

53 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Indiana High school ball needs a shot clock.  You really aren't preparing players for the next level without it.  I know most players aren't concerned with that, but games in the 20's are not very exciting.

Makes zero sense why that rule hasn't been updated. I don't follow high school bball closely, but like you said it does players and viewers a great disservice to not have a shot clock. 

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Did CG or Franklin or both just hold the ball?  Maybe just a random year but seems like teams scoring in the 20's has been common this week. Are the coaches just instructing players to hold ball? I get the idea of trying to win but standing around does absolutely nothing for player development as you said. 

10 hours ago, MrsStoller said:

New Palestine over Mt. Vernon in the Richmond sectional.  Why are 2 Hancock County teams thrown into the Richmond sectional?  That's a drive.

Back in the day, in a galaxy far away, eons ago, Hancock County had its own sectional - New Pal, Mt. Vernon, Greenfield Central and Eastern Hancock. 

Part of that is on the athletic directors for selecting the sectional site (and the IHSAA if they can't reach a consensus).  In our local sectional Union City and Randolph Southern played at Tri High.  That's 45 minutes from Lynn and over an hour for Union City.

On the flip side, if Seton Catholic and Blue River had won as expected,  it wouldn't be that bad of a drive for either. 

54 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

Part of that is on the athletic directors for selecting the sectional site (and the IHSAA if they can't reach a consensus).  In our local sectional Union City and Randolph Southern played at Tri High.  That's 45 minutes from Lynn and over an hour for Union City.

On the flip side, if Seton Catholic and Blue River had won as expected,  it wouldn't be that bad of a drive for either. 

Thanks - I did not realize the role the AD’s play.

8 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Down here in the southwestern part of the state, the winners are:

4A Jasper beats Ev. Reitz

3A Memorial beat Gibson Southern

2A Tell City won

1A Ev. Day Scool (yep, a private school), won their 2nd sectional in school history

3A Princeton beat Washington

3 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Sorry!  I wrote sectional,  but meant regional!! Regardless,  it was ridiculous 

Seems like I remember Valley(boys) playing a regional game at West Layfayette.  And then headed to Pendleton Heights for semi-state.

I have no issues with the logistics of class basketball.  It's not perfect, and there will always be a school here or there that has to travel further than you would like because of things like # of schools in the area and gym size.

When I was in high school (early 80's), Silver Creek, Charlestown, and Henryville (all Clark County schools) were shipped to Madison for sectional (30-45 minutes away) despite their being a sectional 10-15 minutes away in Jeffersonville.  Why?  Because of the number of schools in the Clark/Floyd County area compared to the number of schools around Madison, as well as gym size.  Jeffersonville and Madison had gyms of adequate size to host a sectional.  The other schools did not.

And, you know what?  Those three schools LOVED getting shipped to Madison.  Why?  Because the Jeffersonville sectional not only included Jeff, but on rotating years New Albany or Floyd Central as well.  The odds of winning and being competitive were much better in Madison.  

No alignment will be perfect.  What class basketball does give is the opportunity for smaller schools to compete on a regular basis, and not have to wait for that once in a lifetime group of kids that could actually win a sectional in a one class system.  There's nothing fair about a large school winning 40 straight sectional championships because they have the benefit of having 5-6 much smaller county schools in their sectional.  Meanwhile, even in a single class system, Lawrence Central and Warren Central are STILL going to meet in the sectional

I got a great idea....how about we take 5 4A schools from Fort Wayne and have them play up the road at DeKalb.  Then we get 5 4A schools outside of Fort Wayne to play in Fort Wayne.  Wait.......somebody already came up with that idea.

I was at New Castle last night and man Delta is really good. Josh Bryan is going to make somebody a really nice college player. He is big time scoring 27 points and hitting multiple tough shots. Bumbalough is going to be a star at Ball State but he just didn't have enough pieces around him without Gillis. Delta will be a challenge for anyone in 3A. 

13 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I was at New Castle last night and man Delta is really good. Josh Bryan is going to make somebody a really nice college player. He is big time scoring 27 points and hitting multiple tough shots. Bumbalough is going to be a star at Ball State but he just didn't have enough pieces around him without Gillis. Delta will be a challenge for anyone in 3A. 

Funny you should mention Delta...just got off the phone with my cousin.  Tippy Valley is the next opponent.  Delta should cruise in that one and then face the winner of Angola/Marion.  The regional is at Marion.

50 minutes ago, rico said:

Funny you should mention Delta...just got off the phone with my cousin.  Tippy Valley is the next opponent.  Delta should cruise in that one and then face the winner of Angola/Marion.  The regional is at Marion.

Should be a good regional championship. I don't know much about Angola other than they are 21-5 but I would think there is a good chance of there being a Delta versus Marion championship game. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

A lady sitting behind me in church has a grandson plays for Delta and she was with a lady that grandson plays for New Castle

56 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Should be a good regional championship. I don't know much about Angola other than they are 21-5 but I would think there is a good chance of there being a Delta versus Marion championship game. 

Looking at Angola....Westview beat them by 22.  However they played East Noble pretty tough going down by 3.  Other than that the Hornets' resume is a guessing game.  Now Marion on the other hand looks to be battle tested.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Looking at Angola....Westview beat them by 22.  However they played East Noble pretty tough going down by 3.  Other than that the Hornets' resume is a guessing game.  Now Marion on the other hand looks to be battle tested.

Not to mention that Marion has some star power to go along with that. 

Archived