Indiana HS hoops

rico

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

So are they a bunch of punks or one punk?

There were other issues.  One kid taunted the Silver Creek student section after a 3.  Another one that I will not post in case I misinterpreted the situation.  But, if I interpreted it the way it appeared, it is bad.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

There were other issues.  One kid taunted the Silver Creek student section after a 3.  Another one that I will not post in case I misinterpreted the situation.  But, if I interpreted it the way it appeared, it is bad.  

Could uh cultural differences be a factor?  I only ask because I remember when my school, Washington a couple years after I graduated was asked to play a team from Gary when Luke Zeller was playing, wanted to play us but there were some concerns about fan relations and where the game should be played. 

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

Could uh cultural differences be a factor?  I only ask because I remember when my school, Washington a couple years after I graduated was asked to play a team from Gary when Luke Zeller was playing, wanted to play us but there were some concerns about fan relations and where the game should be played. 

I'm assuming you are referencing inner city versus suburban.  Certainly, the teams are different in that way.  But, for the record, Silver Creek has 3 African American players, so please don't anyone assume there is a racial issue here. 

That said, I'm not sure punching someone during a basketball game is a cultural difference.  

Grew up in Sellersburg(Silver Creek's town) and have now worked most of my adult life with inner city kids.  What I grew up with as a push, inner city kids throw hands.  That's a legitimate cultural difference.  I taught 5 years for a DOC juvenile facility.  Most of the kids were inner city.  The country kids learned fast that the switch flips real quick.  It's heat of the moment, unfortunately big spot light in this case.  Ol Pistonhonda is making a huge difference in these kids lives and the community around that school.  It's not a safe area, especially north and north west of there, and east and west, smh.  

I bet you that kid shed tears of frustration after the game and will grow from it.  

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Grew up in Sellersburg(Silver Creek's town) and have now worked most of my adult life with inner city kids.  What I grew up with as a push, inner city kids throw hands.  That's a legitimate cultural difference.  I taught 5 years for a DOC juvenile facility.  Most of the kids were inner city.  The country kids learned fast that the switch flips real quick.  It's heat of the moment, unfortunately big spot light in this case.  Ol Pistonhonda is making a huge difference in these kids lives and the community around that school.  It's not a safe area, especially north and north west of there, and east and west, smh.  

I bet you that kid shed tears of frustration after the game and will grow from it.  

There's some perspective that makes he hesitant to label kids as punks.  They may prove themselves to be, but I hesitate to start there.

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not sure of what Gary school you are referring to.  However, there was a time that my alma mater, Gary Lew Wallace had a hard time filling out their schedule, and spent most of their time traveling to Chicago for games.

So... it was fulfilling being able to watch Lew Wallace with B.J. Dawson play  Luke's brother,  in the state championship game.

Washington vs Lew Wallace : 2010 State Championship 

36 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not sure of what Gary school you are referring to.  However, there was a time that my alma mater, Gary Lew Wallace had a hard time filling out their schedule, and spent most of their time traveling to Chicago for games.

So... it was fulfilling being able to watch Lew Wallace with B.J. Dawson play  Luke's brother,  in the state championship game.

Washington vs Lew Wallace : 2010 State Championship 

I looked it up on John Harrell's website and the game I was remembering was with East Chicago Central in 04-05.  What I remember is they wanted to play up there but, because they were the school that wanted to play WHS, it would be on our terms.

Some interesting, at least to me WHS basketball history, a guy by the name of Dave Degenertt who was African-American helped lead us to the 1930 state championship was the first integrated team to win. And the 1941,42 championship team included an African American, Charles Harmon who followed Jackie Robinson as the second African American to play MLB and the first to play for the Cincinnati R.eds

I do remember that state championship game you linked. 

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I looked it up on John Harrell's website and the game I was remembering was with East Chicago Central in 04-05.  What I remember is they wanted to play up there but, because they were the school that wanted to play WHS, it would be on our terms.

Some interesting, at least to me WHS basketball history, a guy by the name of Dave Degenertt who was African-American helped lead us to the 1930 state championship was the first integrated team to win. And the 1941,42 championship team included an African American, Charles Harmon who followed Jackie Robinson as the second African American to play MLB and the first to play for the Cincinnati R.eds

I do remember that state championship game you linked. 

Prior to that time...It was East Chicago Washington. Which closed to become a part of ECC.  Washington's coach was the legendary Johnnie Baratto. Who came close to winning the state championship a couple of times before class basketball. And was flamboyant in the likes of Bobby Knight. Who detested the thought of losing, much like Knight. I had the honor of watching Baratto coach, while in high school, when he brought his great teams to Gary.

www.hoopshall.com/hall-of-fame/johnnie-baratto

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Prior to that time...It was East Chicago Washington. Which closed to become a part of ECC.  Washington's coach was the legendary Johnnie Baratto. Who came close to winning the state championship a couple of times before class basketball. And was flamboyant in the likes of Bobby Knight. Who detested the thought of losing, much like Knight. I had the honor of watching Baratto coach, while in high school, when he brought his great teams to Gary.

www.hoopshall.com/hall-of-fame/johnnie-baratto

Mile, I love everything you bring to this board. YOU are the best! 

I hope all is well with you and your family, my friend.

1 minute ago, jefftheref said:

Mile, I love everything you bring to this board. YOU are the best! 

I hope all is well with you and your family, my friend.

Thank you so much. I try. To be positive.  And being a Senior member, attempt to bring to the board, not only my passion for BB in Indiana, but also to share what I have lived, in terms of history.... both prep and IU BB.

You are very kind. And I do appreciate your words of kindness.

As for me. Things are great. Looking forward to Sunday and sharing it over dinner with a fellow IU fan and HSN member.  My wife will be traveling to Orlando this Tuesday, to spend with cherished friends for a week. And my son will be spending the next several days in Southern Colorado with some of his friends. While I take care of the house, and my two best friends.  Both great girls... two dogs that I love so much. 

Archived