Indiana HS hoops

rico

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rico said:

The "North" wins again!!!!!!

Private schools 2-2 so far today.  Sure hope they don't make it 3-3.  If Culver (private) and Carmel (twice as big as anyone else) win tonight, it's been a bad day for Indiana HS basketball.  

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Private schools 2-2 so far today.  Sure hope they don't make it 3-3.  If Culver (private) and Carmel (twice as big as anyone else) win tonight, it's been a bad day for Indiana HS basketball.  

I will be pulling for you 'fouls.  

On 3/17/2019 at 1:25 AM, mrflynn03 said:

I looked it up on John Harrell's website and the game I was remembering was with East Chicago Central in 04-05.  What I remember is they wanted to play up there but, because they were the school that wanted to play WHS, it would be on our terms.

Some interesting, at least to me WHS basketball history, a guy by the name of Dave Degenertt who was African-American helped lead us to the 1930 state championship was the first integrated team to win. And the 1941,42 championship team included an African American, Charles Harmon who followed Jackie Robinson as the second African American to play MLB and the first to play for the Cincinnati R.eds

I do remember that state championship game you linked. 

Chuck Harmon died this week on 3/19.  He was 94.  Nice article in Cincinnati Enquirer.  Google and you can read it.  He went to University of Toledo and played in the 1943 NIT at MSG.  Scored 6 pts in the finals.

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Was really hoping the Amish kids from Barr Reeve won today...… Talk about a Hoosiers movie re-make

They're not exactly Amish...a nice blend of mostly Mennonites and Catholics.  Old Order Amish would not be allowed to wear something as scandalous as a basketball uniform. My dad was Mennonite and grandpa wouldn't let him play until he was a junior because of the uniforms. He was all-sectional as a senior.

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Sure wish I could like this a 1000 times

To both sides of this discussion.  It's perfectly okay to celebrate Luke Brown as a great player at the high school level, while still understanding that he is not necessarily a player capable of making major contributions at a Power 5 school.  

The problem with Indiana HS basketball is that there are likely a dozen kids every year that can shoot and help at the guard spot. There are only a few players that have that special size, athleticism, and skill that can turn this Indiana team back into a winning program. Let’s play this out and see how these kids look in another year...lot of room to grow for all of them.

18 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

No love for the Carmel Greyhounds? Heck of a season for them.

Meh...what do they have...like 6,000 students?  The law of averages says if you have large numbers like that, you'll get better than average talent.  Congrats I guess, but it's a lot more impressive when a little school beats a big one.

25 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Meh...what do they have...like 6,000 students?  The law of averages says if you have large numbers like that, you'll get better than average talent.  Congrats I guess, but it's a lot more impressive when a little school beats a big one.

It is not like Ben Davis is a small county school LOL!

26 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think it's a little over 5k.  It was just under 4k when I graduated in 2006.  A good number of the MIC schools have pretty large enrollments too I believe.  I do agree it's a lot more impressive when a little school beats a big one but Carmel doesn't really play little schools you know?

Archived