Indiana HS hoops

rico

One of the things I love about living in the area that I do is channel 46 out of South Bend.  Last night was their first "Game of the Week" of the year.  The battle for Elkhart.  Central vs. Memorial at the historic Northside Gym.  Memorial won the tilt.  But most interesting was the announcers saying that the schools planned to combine by 2020.  In other news my Wildcats got beat by 2 to Wabash.  And the Warsaw Tigers fell to FW Homestead.  

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of interest down South with how New Albany will fare post-Romeo.  The Bulldogs should still be good, but may be a tad behind their two biggest rivals, Jeffersonville and Floyd Central.  Floyd Central has looked very good so far this season, led by Indiana State recruit Cobie Barnes.  They blasted a good Castle team last night,  Jeff easily beat Evansville Bosse last night as well.  All that said, New Albany does already have a good win over Anthony Leal and Bloomington South.

Silver Creek, a 3A school, is also getting a lot of hype.  They have a solid Sr. Class, but also have two sophomores (Trey Kaufman and Kooper Jacobi) that are getting D1 interest.  Kaufman grew 3 inches over the summer and is now listed at 6:8.  Jacobi is 6:6.  The schedule has not been particularly strong so far, but they have won all their games by about 40 points so far.  They have Jeff coming up in a couple of weeks, which should be a good barometer of how good they actually are.

59 minutes ago, rico said:

That brings back a lot of memories. I remember Sasha playing and I worked with Noah's grandpa Dave (Janelle's dad).  Sadly, I think he passed away awhile back.

As another interesting aside, Janelle was a very tall and very pretty girl growing up. I think she was "the girl" in a country music song video put out while she was in college at U of E called Watermelon Crawl.

Floyd Central at New Albany tonight.  Huge game every year in the southern part of the state.  Floyd beat New Albany during the regular season last year when Romeo was battling flu-like symptoms.  New Albany returned the favor in the Sectional final.  

In the 4A rankings, Floyd Currently ranked 4th, New Albany 11th.  New Albany is at home.  Floyd Central has the best player (Indiana State commit Cobie Barnes).

What I don't understand is why this game is played in December.  A rivalry like this one should be played in late January or February every season.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Floyd Central at New Albany tonight.  Huge game every year in the southern part of the state.  Floyd beat New Albany during the regular season last year when Romeo was battling flu-like symptoms.  New Albany returned the favor in the Sectional final.  

In the 4A rankings, Floyd Currently ranked 4th, New Albany 11th.  New Albany is at home.  Floyd Central has the best player (Indiana State commit Cobie Barnes).

What I don't understand is why this game is played in December.  A rivalry like this one should be played in late January or February every season.

I am not familiar with teams down that way....are they in the same conference?

5 minutes ago, rico said:

I am not familiar with teams down that way....are they in the same conference?

Yes.  Same conference.  Same county (Floyd).  Same sectional  The only 2 public schools in the county.  2 of only 3 4A schools within 50 miles of the area (Jeffersonville being the other).  City versus suburb dynamic as well.  

Edit.  I will say this as well.  New Albany has the best basketball fans in the area.  They turn out in large numbers, Romeo or not.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Yes.  Same conference.  Same county (Floyd).  Same sectional  The only 2 public schools in the county.  2 of only 3 4A schools within 50 miles of the area (Jeffersonville being the other).  City versus suburb dynamic as well.  

Wow, seems like they should be playing much later than this.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Wow, I just looked up what the "Game of the Week" is going to be tonight on channel 46.  Brebeuf @ Culver Academy.  Long drive for a school out of Indy on a Friday night.  

One of the big challenges the 4A schools have in this area is finding competition close to home.  As I mentioned, New Albany, Floyd Central, and Jeff have to travel 50 miles (to Seymour) to the next closest 4A school.  And, while there are a couple, there are not that many quality 3A programs in the area right now either.  This year alone, New Albany makes 3 trips to Evansville, and one to Indianapolis.  Next season, assuming the home/away games just flip, there will still be trips to Evansville, one to Carmel, and to Bloomington twice.  

For whatever reason, New Albany does not play any Louisville schools.  Jeffersonville plays a couple each year and Floyd plays a couple Louisville schools as well as a couple of smaller schools in the area.  New Albany travels more than the other two.  

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

One of the big challenges the 4A schools have in this area is finding competition close to home.  As I mentioned, New Albany, Floyd Central, and Jeff have to travel 50 miles (to Seymour) to the next closest 4A school.  And, while there are a couple, there are not that many quality 3A programs in the area right now either.  This year alone, New Albany makes 3 trips to Evansville, and one to Indianapolis.  Next season, assuming the home/away games just flip, there will still be trips to Evansville, one to Carmel, and to Bloomington twice.  

For whatever reason, New Albany does not play any Louisville schools.  Jeffersonville plays a couple each year and Floyd plays a couple Louisville schools as well as a couple of smaller schools in the area.  New Albany travels more than the other two.  

As I said, I am not familiar with the school districts down that way.  Thanks for shining light on it for me.  

Fantastic set of games scheduled for Southport on Saturday.

Southport, Dec. 8
Noon Frankton vs. Southport
1:40 pm Carmel vs. Jeffersonville
3:20 pm New Castle vs. Brownsburg
5:00 pm Culver Academy vs. Hamilton Southeastern
6:40 pm Zionsville vs. Indianapolis Cathedral
8:30 pm LaPorte LaLumiere vs. Center Grove

Highlights are:

A top 5 tilt in 4A between #2 Carmel vs. #5 Jeffersonville

Undefeated Hamilton Southeastern vs 3A #1 Culver Academy

4A #3 Center Grove and Trayce Jackson Davis vs. LaLumiere

Archived