Indiana HS hoops

rico

43 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Fantastic set of games scheduled for Southport on Saturday.

Southport, Dec. 8
Noon Frankton vs. Southport
1:40 pm Carmel vs. Jeffersonville
3:20 pm New Castle vs. Brownsburg
5:00 pm Culver Academy vs. Hamilton Southeastern
6:40 pm Zionsville vs. Indianapolis Cathedral
8:30 pm LaPorte LaLumiere vs. Center Grove

Highlights are:

A top 5 tilt in 4A between #2 Carmel vs. #5 Jeffersonville

Undefeated Hamilton Southeastern vs 3A #1 Culver Academy

4A #3 Center Grove and Trayce Jackson Davis vs. LaLumiere

That last game of the day will feature a couple pretty good players that sure are gonna look nice in the candy stripes 

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Warren Central will cure that feeling. 

Their coach Criss Beyers could win anywhere.  Great guy too! 

Warren Central is the defending boys basketball state champions, the defending girls state basketball champions, and the defending football state champions.

7 hours ago, rico said:

After watching Brebeuf and the Culver Academy tonight....I doubt if I will watch another HS game.  Simply ugly.

I wouldn't let a single game influence your opinion of high school hoops.  Those happen sometimes.  

If you get Fox Sports Indiana, mark this date on the calendar.  

https://www.nba.com/pacers/news/third-annual-basketball-day-indiana-set-saturday-jan-19

People who still live in Indiana are fortunate. I've lived all around the country, and high school basketball in many places is not only terrible, but nobody even goes.

Florida was the worst. Even the player's parents didn't go.

Texas is only slightly better.

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

People who still live in Indiana are fortunate. I've lived all around the country, and high school basketball in many places is not only terrible, but nobody even goes.

If you live in the right communities in Indiana, Friday nights during the winter are still the place to be.  it's not like it used to be, but it is still special in the right environment.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If you live in the right communities in Indiana, Friday nights during the winter are still the place to be.  it's not like it used to be, but it is still special in the right environment.

I'm happy to hear that. I spent many great evenings in Martinsville's old Glenn Curtis Memorial Gymnasium watching some pretty good Artesian squads led by Jerry Sichting. Special time and memories.

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Amen to this. Had to travel back to my Illinois stomping grounds a couple weeks back. Went to a game. Couldn't believe not only how poor the fundamentals and play was....but the crowd was there because it seemed like they had to be there. Scary part is I saw a kid who is rated a 4 star player in class of 2020....nowhere close to that rating. 

Being a Canes fan though and you being from Florida....you probably see it all the time in football. Give me 2 or 3 star Florida football kids over 4 star Northern boys more times than not. 

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Being a Canes fan though and you being from Florida....you probably see it all the time in football. Give me 2 or 3 star Florida football kids over 4 star Northern boys more times than not. 

Very true. In baseball as well. I lived in the Florida panhandle (The Rednck Riviera) from 88-2000. Saw many great high school football players, including Danny Wuerffel and Kevin Knox. I think in the mid 90s, the newspaper there said of the 20 some kids that started for Niceville High in a particular year, 17 of them had D1 offers.

None of the athletes at those high schools even went out for basketball.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I wouldn't let a single game influence your opinion of high school hoops.  Those happen sometimes.  

If you get Fox Sports Indiana, mark this date on the calendar.  

https://www.nba.com/pacers/news/third-annual-basketball-day-indiana-set-saturday-jan-19

My apologies....I see I didn't word it correctly.  I will be watching.  But they better do a better job with their "Game of the Week".  In person, I will still be attending games.

Late 80’s I lived and taught in southern Wisconsin. The varsity basketball coaches would comment on watching Indiana high school hoops and how kids in Indiana played at/above the rim. At that time, they felt there were very few teams in the state who could play with even average Indiana teams.

The best part of Wisconsin high school basketball at that time was the cheerleaders who polka’d to the Budweiser song during stoppages in play.

11 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Late 80’s I lived and taught in southern Wisconsin. The varsity basketball coaches would comment on watching Indiana high school hoops and how kids in Indiana played at/above the rim. At that time, they felt there were very few teams in the state who could play with even average Indiana teams.

The best part of Wisconsin high school basketball at that time was the cheerleaders who polka’d to the Budweiser song during stoppages in play.

Kind of funny.  A guy from Wisconsin worked for me at one time.  He had no idea what HS basketball meant to this state.  And then I took him to a Warsaw game...........should have seen the look on his face.  Dumbfounded is an understatement.

19 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

My pick for the best all-time Indiana player is Oscar Robinson !My pick for best ever Indiana high school team ? Answer : The Oscar Robinson led Crispus Attucks ! They were awesome !!

Hard to argue, but I'd put George McGinnis and '69 Washington in the conversation.

Archived