Indiana HS hoops

rico

48 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Hard to argue, but I'd put George McGinnis and '69 Washington in the conversation.

I'd put that 69 Indianapolis Washington team and McGinnis up there too.

The East Chicago Washington team of 71 was a great team too with 3 great players...Trgovich, Stoddard, and Bridgeman. 

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always say I'm going to do it and every year I never do. Thinking about heading to must see gyms in January and February. I'm sure there's a list on google but any suggestions? I want to get to Washington for sure. New Castle. I've been to all the Indy area gyms but if anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate.

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I always say I'm going to do it and every year I never do. Thinking about heading to must see gyms in January and February. I'm sure there's a list on google but any suggestions? I want to get to Washington for sure. New Castle. I've been to all the Indy area gyms but if anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate.

The Northside gym in Elkhart.  That place smells like basketball.

43 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The Indiana / Kentucky Challenge Cup on Saturday, January 5th at New Castle.  

Girls: Northwestern vs. George Rogers Clark, Ky., noon 

Boys: North Daviess vs. Walton Verona, Ky., 2 p.m. 

Boys: Heritage Hills vs. Madison Central, Ky., 4 p.m. 

Boys: Silver Creek vs. Louisville Male, Ky., 6 p.m. 

Boys: Huntington North vs. Lexington Henry Clay, Ky., 8 p.m

55 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If youre going to be in Washington you can go down a few streets and check out washington Catholics gym.  I've always thought the loogootee is pretty neat too. 

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Indiana / Kentucky Challenge Cup on Saturday, January 5th at New Castle.  

Girls: Northwestern vs. George Rogers Clark, Ky., noon 

Boys: North Daviess vs. Walton Verona, Ky., 2 p.m. 

Boys: Heritage Hills vs. Madison Central, Ky., 4 p.m. 

Boys: Silver Creek vs. Louisville Male, Ky., 6 p.m. 

Boys: Huntington North vs. Lexington Henry Clay, Ky., 8 p.m

Great info, and I don't mean to derail what you put up there.  But beg to ask the question...."Why do they call it Huntington North?"  There is no other HS in that county.

12 minutes ago, rico said:

Great info, and I don't mean to derail what you put up there.  But beg to ask the question...."Why do they call it Huntington North?"  There is no other HS in that county.

http://hnhs.hccsc.k12.in.us/about_us/history_of_h_n_h_s

In 1873 there were 112 schoolhouses in Huntington County.  Complete consolidation of these schools into township schools was completed in 1927. Huntington County Schools were reorganized in 1964 on a countywide basis and consolidated into one high school in 1966.

In 1966-67 the high school year began with a split campus comprised of the old Huntington Township High School building, located on the south edge of town, and the existing Huntington High School building, located in the center of town. In October 1969 high school students began occupying the not-yet-complete soon-to-be-named Huntington North High School building located at 450 MacGahan Street on the north side of town. The current building was dedicated in 1971 as Huntington North High School with its school colors as red, black, and white, and the school mascot as the Viking. The structure spanned five acres and housed tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade students.

16 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

http://hnhs.hccsc.k12.in.us/about_us/history_of_h_n_h_s

In 1873 there were 112 schoolhouses in Huntington County.  Complete consolidation of these schools into township schools was completed in 1927. Huntington County Schools were reorganized in 1964 on a countywide basis and consolidated into one high school in 1966.

In 1966-67 the high school year began with a split campus comprised of the old Huntington Township High School building, located on the south edge of town, and the existing Huntington High School building, located in the center of town. In October 1969 high school students began occupying the not-yet-complete soon-to-be-named Huntington North High School building located at 450 MacGahan Street on the north side of town. The current building was dedicated in 1971 as Huntington North High School with its school colors as red, black, and white, and the school mascot as the Viking. The structure spanned five acres and housed tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade students.

That is all fine.......but it should be called Huntington County.  I will find out, I got friends down that way.

19 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

If that were the case, it would just be one more "t" for the PA guy to annunciate at their games. You can hear every "t" that guy says. "HunTING-TON North." Instead it would be "HunTING-TON Coun-TY."

LOL.....but I found out the reason.  There was supposed to be a Huntington South......never happened.  

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Cabby O'neil in Jasper is a pretty cool old gym.  Kinda tricky to get into tho.  

2 hours ago, SIHoosier26 said:

Didn't know we were just talking high school, my bad.

It is all good.....no problems on my end.  Bird was a fine HS player.  But he made his "hay" in college and in the NBA.  I really haven't looked at it yet.  But off the top of my head...Bailey was damn good.  And Damon won a state title.  

I've lived down here in Texas for 6 years. Atascocita is about a 25 minute drive for me. I had no idea that Carsen Edwards went to Atascocita High School.

Shows you how well they cover high school basketball down here. Now if he was a football player? He'd already have a street or stadium named after him.

When speaking of the greatest ever to play HS basketball in Indiana, there is a name that is often overlooked..

I was a helluva player in  high school.  Could have been All-State, a McDonalds All-American, and would have likely gotten countless offers from major programs.  I would have even turned on Kentucky when they offered me $200,000 grand and an automobile.  But the coach never understood my potential, and cut me from the team.  

:coffee:

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

When speaking of the greatest ever to play HS basketball in Indiana, there is a name that is often overlooked..

I was a helluva player in  high school.  Could have been All-State, a McDonalds All-American, and would have likely gotten countless offers from major programs.  I would have even turned on Kentucky when they offered me $200,000 grand and an automobile.  But the coach never understood my potential, and cut me from the team.  

:coffee:

You should have declared for the NBA draft.

On 12/9/2018 at 4:53 PM, rico said:

It is all good.....no problems on my end.  Bird was a fine HS player.  But he made his "hay" in college and in the NBA.  I really haven't looked at it yet.  But off the top of my head...Bailey was damn good.  And Damon won a state title.  

Bailey also led BNL to 2 other final 4's in addition to the title year.  Pretty impressive.

Archived