Indiana HS hoops

rico

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rico said:

My "Game of the Week" last night was Northwood at Plymouth.  Close at the half but the Pilgrims pulled away.  Tell you what, those boys couldn't shoot FT's either.

The hyped game down south last night was 4A #9 Jeffersonville versus 3A #3 Silver Creek.  Turned out to be kind of blah.  Each team with a legit D1 prospect, but both were in serious foul trouble the whole night.  Jeff controlled the game pretty much from start to finish and won by 12.  .  

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The hyped game down south last night was 4A #9 Jeffersonville versus 3A #3 Silver Creek.  Turned out to be kind of blah.  Each team with a legit D1 prospect, but both were in serious foul trouble the whole night.  Jeff controlled the game pretty much from start to finish and won by 12.  .  

Keep those reports coming Bro....I eat that stuff up.  

58 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Was browsing at John Harrell website.  Noticed Bloomington south's coach is at 791 wins. 9 away from 800, 16 away from all time winningest coach.  Loogootee might need to buy paint to fix the water tower.

He might want to keep a body detail with him anytime he is within driving range of Loogootee...:coffee:

One of the little fun things I like to keep track of is the John Harrell 'Travelling Trophy', which basically  is a Team A beat Team B who beat Team C type of thing.  The top of the page in the link below discusses how it all started and provides history over the last 12 seasons or so.  Right now the trophy is in the possession of Barr-Reeve, a 1A school in the southwestern part of the state.  

http://indianahsbasketball.homestead.com/files/trophygames.htm#loaded

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

One of the little fun things I like to keep track of is the John Harrell 'Travelling Trophy', which basically  is a Team A beat Team B who beat Team C type of thing.  The top of the page in the link below discusses how it all started and provides history over the last 12 seasons or so.  Right now the trophy is in the possession of Barr-Reeve, a 1A school in the southwestern part of the state.  

http://indianahsbasketball.homestead.com/files/trophygames.htm#loaded

I remember reading about this when the 2 Fort Wayne schools were involved.  Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Whenever I hear streaks in Indiana HS hoops it takes me back in time.  1979 to be specific.  Before my varsity playing days but I followed my school like everyone did in our community.  That year we won our sectional and sported a 21-1 record heading into the Elkhart regional.  Our opponent?  The Argos Dragons.  The little tiny school that didn't even have a football team.  The game was over after it started.  They whipped us on their way to the FF.  We would get revenge on them in '81.  But anyway it seems to me that they went 3 years in a row without a regular season loss.  I tried finding an article talking about it and all I could find was this...

http://articles.latimes.com/1997-03-02/sports/sp-38322_1_high-school-basketball

76 regular season games in a row!

1 hour ago, rico said:

Whenever I hear streaks in Indiana HS hoops it takes me back in time.  1979 to be specific.  Before my varsity playing days but I followed my school like everyone did in our community.  That year we won our sectional and sported a 21-1 record heading into the Elkhart regional.  Our opponent?  The Argos Dragons.  The little tiny school that didn't even have a football team.  The game was over after it started.  They whipped us on their way to the FF.  We would get revenge on them in '81.  But anyway it seems to me that they went 3 years in a row without a regular season loss.  I tried finding an article talking about it and all I could find was this...

http://articles.latimes.com/1997-03-02/sports/sp-38322_1_high-school-basketball

76 regular season games in a row!

Great story.  Thanks for sharing.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Getting ready to leave to go to the Hall fame tournament in New Castle to see TJD play as well as the Warren central team to see how good they are.

I'm not gping to make it up to see WC during holiday break as I hoped. Ill be looking for your thoughts on them.

I REALLY wanted to see them play and hear Criss coach them in person.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Great story.  Thanks for sharing.

There is a caveat that I failed to mention.  Argos was a juggernaut in the '79, '80, and '81 seasons.  Funny thing(ironic is more like it) is that the Dragons only made it out of the regional once in that time frame.  However they played their sectional at Plymouth.  The same Plymouth that had a guy by the name of Scott Skiles on it.  3 of Scott's 4 years Argos won that sectional.  It all changed in '82 when the Pilgrims won it and of coarse went on to win the state title.  

And for reference we beat Argos in '81.  But fell to Warsaw in the regional championship.  Warsaw went on to the FF that year.

17 minutes ago, rico said:

There is a caveat that I failed to mention.  Argos was a juggernaut in the '79, '80, and '81 seasons.  Funny thing(ironic is more like it) is that the Dragons only made it out of the regional once in that time frame.  However they played their sectional at Plymouth.  The same Plymouth that had a guy by the name of Scott Skiles on it.  3 of Scott's 4 years Argos won that sectional.  It all changed in '82 when the Pilgrims won it and of coarse went on to win the state title.  

And for reference we beat Argos in '81.  But fell to Warsaw in the regional championship.  Warsaw went on to the FF that year.

Great stuff.  I alwats refer to you as the encyclopedia.  Did they have any players we’d remember or have heard of?

Watching Skiles on his final four run was about as fun as it ever got.  You’d just fall in love with high school basketball in Indiana.  It was mesmerizing and man did I wish I could do that.  

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Great stuff.  I alwats refer to you as the encyclopedia.  Did they have any players we’d remember or have heard of?

Watching Skiles on his final four run was about as fun as it ever got.  You’d just fall in love with high school basketball in Indiana.  It was mesmerizing and man did I wish I could do that.  

Doug Jennings was the star of 2 of those Argos teams.  His daughter would go onto to be an Indiana Miss Basketball.

Here is another write up.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/02/19/girls-basketball-run-brings-back-memories-tiny-argos/80600598/

Telling you guys what, back then that Elkhart regional was a meat grinder.  

Just got back from a full day of hoops and it was a very good day of basketball.  In the first game TJD was not very aggressive and should have been able to dominate a small 2A team.  He had only 5 points at half and am not sure what he ended up with.  In the championship game he came out very aggressive and CG went up 12-2 with TJD scoring 10 points.  He was very good in this game and showed why is an big time recruit.  One thin he needs to do is learn to use both hands because he is definitely left handed dominate.  He goes over his right shoulder most of the time and going left but when he does go the other way he still shoots it left handed.  That just makes it easier to defend since his left hand is inside near the defender.

As WC they are a very well coached and discipline team and run an offense that old time IU fans would love.  The players are in constant motion and actually use off the ball screens to get their guards open.  They have 3 great small guards who can shoot ad handle the ball.  The only problem is that they tend to run a lot of the clock in the last few minutes of the quarters.  I think in the OT each team only had two possessions with WC holding the ball for over 2 minutes on one possession. WC scored with .8 seconds left to go ahead by 2 in OT but CG ran a great play and through long to TJD and he caught it and turned around and barely missed the shot at the buzzer.

Also I was pretty impressed with Newman from Valpo and he will be a pretty good player at PU.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just got back from a full day of hoops and it was a very good day of basketball.  In the first game TJD was not very aggressive and should have been able to dominate a small 2A team.  He had only 5 points at half and am not sure what he ended up with.  In the championship game he came out very aggressive and CG went up 12-2 with TJD scoring 10 points.  He was very good in this game and showed why is an big time recruit.  One thin he needs to do is learn to use both hands because he is definitely left handed dominate.  He goes over his right shoulder most of the time and going left but when he does go the other way he still shoots it left handed.  That just makes it easier to defend since his left hand is inside near the defender.

As WC they are a very well coached and discipline team and run an offense that old time IU fans would love.  The players are in constant motion and actually use off the ball screens to get their guards open.  They have 3 great small guards who can shoot ad handle the ball.  The only problem is that they tend to run a lot of the clock in the last few minutes of the quarters.  I think in the OT each team only had two possessions with WC holding the ball for over 2 minutes on one possession. WC scored with .8 seconds left to go ahead by 2 in OT but CG ran a great play and through long to TJD and he caught it and turned around and barely missed the shot at the buzzer.

Also I was pretty impressed with Newman from Valpo and he will be a pretty good player at PU.

I had a great day of channel switching from game to game on tv....as college BB and especially B1G action got back into action.  However, I don't think it would compare with what you saw today.  Up front and personal.  Indiana HS Basketball is special. Thanks for sharing your special day with us.

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That small 2A school is pretty dang good.  Those Amish boys know how to play!!!!!!!  

I saw that FW Blackhawk defeated Barr-Reeve.  The trophy is up north now.

18 minutes ago, rico said:

That small 2A school is pretty dang good.  Those Amish boys know how to play!!!!!!!  

I saw that FW Blackhawk defeated Barr-Reeve.  The trophy is up north now.

I agree those guys are pretty good but would think a 5 star 6'9 player could dominate a bunch of 6'3 players but he was being triple team a lot.

Archived