Indiana HS hoops

rico

On 12/30/2018 at 11:38 AM, 5fouls said:

Kentucky / Indiana Challenge Cup to be held in New Castle this upcoming Saturday.  Time for Indiana to get of the mat and win one of these.

https://ibcacoaches.com/download/challenge_cup_indiana_vs_kentucky/2019_Challenge_Cup.pdf

Indiana wins the Challenge Cup for the first time.  Final tally was 3-2.  Wins by Northwestern (Girls), Heritage Hills, and Silver Creek.  

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things that drive me crazy about today's high school games,

• Cheerleading squads that do not travel to away games.  Yes, I appreciate that cheer must cover both boys and girls games, and that can result in a lot of work some weeks.  But, here's an idea.  Most cheer squads have 10 or more members.  there's no rule that says you can't split them up into smaller groups to help reduce the load.
  • Any game that does not have a pep band.  A band is essential for setting the atmosphere.
  • Lazy student sections.  I really enjoy student sections that are creative in using props or with what they yell.  Most student sections today just jeer the refs or yell air-ball.  And, in fact, it's very rare to see any semblance of a student section at an away game.
  • PA announcer that do not inform.  In today's day an age, it should be easier than ever to provide score updates on what is going on elsewhere.  Fans at the games are often interested in what is going on at other games in the area.  PA announcers should be active on twitter and/or other social media and sharing that info with other PA announcers throughout the game.

All of those things would add to the overall experience of attending a game, and could, along with other things, over time help revive some of the magic.  It will never be what it was before, but Hoosiers have simply got lazy and have quit trying to make it the event that it one was.

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

• Cheerleading squads that do not travel to away games.  Yes, I appreciate that cheer must cover both boys and girls games, and that can result in a lot of work some weeks.  But, here's an idea.  Most cheer squads have 10 or more members.  there's no rule that says you can't split them up into smaller groups to help reduce the load.
  • Any game that does not have a pep band.  A band is essential for setting the atmosphere.
  • Lazy student sections.  I really enjoy student sections that are creative in using props or with what they yell.  Most student sections today just jeer the refs or yell air-ball.  And, in fact, it's very rare to see any semblance of a student section at an away game.
  • PA announcer that do not inform.  In today's day an age, it should be easier than ever to provide score updates on what is going on elsewhere.  Fans at the games are often interested in what is going on at other games in the area.  PA announcers should be active on twitter and/or other social media and sharing that info with other PA announcers throughout the game.

All of those things would add to the overall experience of attending a game, and could, along with other things, over time help revive some of the magic.  It will never be what it was before, but Hoosiers have simply got lazy and have quit trying to make it the event that it one was.

All good takes.  Brought back memories from my days playing.  Our student section was something else.  They did that newspaper thing that the Notre Dame student section used to do when the opposing team's starting line-up was announced.  Priceless.  The PA announcer would give updates on other scores that everyone was concerned about...including IU and Purdue if they played on a Saturday night.  When we went on a roll, the band would play "Tequila"...and the entire crowd was into it.  Hell, I was into it and I was in the huddle.  Great memories.  

The best was hearing the student section chant after an opposing player got a foul called on him.

"YOU, YOU, YOU, YOU.....ON YOU"

Priceless

14 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Does freshly popped popcorn still waft through the gymnasium....because if it doesn't....that's a MAJOR problem lol!!! Actually maybe the schools could try to make sure WIFI works inside the gymnasiums....I know people should be watching the games but if they know they can access their phones without data then before long...they usually get drawn into what is happening on the floor and the product will take care of itself. Anyways..I still think the consolidation of schools...meaning fewer kids actually playing and fewer relatives at the games and fewer teams playing. Suddenly rival schools are now the teammates etc. Not sure there is much that can be done with the finances of school consolidations but I'm sure that is an issue. Heck my school doesn't even exist anymore. Maybe one of the kids in town actually plays on the schools team so suddenly there is maybe 2-300 people maybe more that no longer care to go to the games anymore because it isn't the home town team and combine that by 2 or 3 towns that used to have teams and there is just less people interested. If there is no longer an alma mater unless you actually have a child playing people just don't have a reason to come out.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Does freshly popped popcorn still waft through the gymnasium....because if it doesn't....that's a MAJOR problem lol!!! Actually maybe the schools could try to make sure WIFI works inside the gymnasiums....I know people should be watching the games but if they know they can access their phones without data then before long...they usually get drawn into what is happening on the floor and the product will take care of itself. Anyways..I still think the consolidation of schools...meaning fewer kids actually playing and fewer relatives at the games and fewer teams playing. Suddenly rival schools are now the teammates etc. Not sure there is much that can be done with the finances of school consolidations but I'm sure that is an issue. Heck my school doesn't even exist anymore. Maybe one of the kids in town actually plays on the schools team so suddenly there is maybe 2-300 people maybe more that no longer care to go to the games anymore because it isn't the home town team and combine that by 2 or 3 towns that used to have teams and there is just less people interested. If there is no longer an alma mater unless you actually have a child playing people just don't have a reason to come out.

Don't want to derail this into a discussion of class basketball, but that has really affected rivalries and interest as well. When you can have Brownsburg playing Avon on a Tuesday night in the Terre Haute Sectional (3 hour round trip from Bburg, not in traffic), it doesn't do much to expand interest beyond friends and family.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Don't want to derail this into a discussion of class basketball, but that has really affected rivalries and interest as well. When you can have Brownsburg playing Avon on a Tuesday night in the Terre Haute Sectional (3 hour round trip from Bburg, not in traffic), it doesn't do much to expand interest beyond friends and family.

Yeah, I was going to bring that up.  Very valid point.

I think class basketball gets a bad rap.  Let's not forget the reason that Indiana went to class basketball was that interest was already waning because 3/4 of the teams had little or no chance of having any real post-season success.  Winning, or at least the chance to win, does more than anything else to pull in a crowd.  

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think class basketball gets a bad rap.  Let's not forget the reason that Indiana went to class basketball was that interest was already waning because 3/4 of the teams had little or no chance of having any real post-season success.  Winning, or at least the chance to win, does more than anything else to pull in a crowd.  

That is a two-way street.  Everyone likes a "Cinderella Story".  And when you have one of those stories it adds to the attraction and the entire state rallies around an underdog.  

16 minutes ago, rico said:

That is a two-way street.  Everyone likes a "Cinderella Story".  And when you have one of those stories it adds to the attraction and the entire state rallies around an underdog.  

The one Cinderella story every 5 years, excites that specific fan base for that one season, but does nothing for the 300 other small schools that annually had no chance against the big schools. 

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The one Cinderella story every 5 years, excites that specific fan base for that one season, but does nothing for the 300 other small schools that annually had no chance against the big schools. 

BS, there was a Cinderella every year before class basketball came along.  And the small schools pulled for them to advance.

Obviously the majority of people graduate from bigger schools (duh) but those that have had your school consolidated and your alma mater doesn't exist what draw is there to go support a school that you have no affiliation with? Unless you happen to have a child or close friend's child on the team I know I feel no loyalty or desire to go back and see a team that used to be our rival and support them because they swallowed up our school. Or see us play a school hours away whom I have never played or have any emotional ties to beating. Combine that with all the other factors that have been added on in this new age of media and technology and distractions I can see why basketball attendance is at an all time low. Heck IU has trouble selling out...there is a lot of factors vying for peoples dollars and entertainment.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Obviously the majority of people graduate from bigger schools (duh) but those that have had your school consolidated and your alma mater doesn't exist what draw is there to go support a school that you have no affiliation with? Unless you happen to have a child or close friend's child on the team I know I feel no loyalty or desire to go back and see a team that used to be our rival and support them because they swallowed up our school. Or see us play a school hours away whom I have never played or have any emotional ties to beating. Combine that with all the other factors that have been added on in this new age of media and technology and distractions I can see why basketball attendance is at an all time low. Heck IU has trouble selling out...there is a lot of factors vying for peoples dollars and entertainment.

Sometimes the good ole days were exactly that.....GOOD!

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

When White River Valley in 93 went to the semi-state and narrowly lost to state champs Jeff we followed them to Evansville and so did a lot of local towns around the area. Even though they beat my brothers team we cheered them on because we knew they had a special squad not often seen for that size of school led by Matthew Graves. Just as when our team my senior year went to Regionals but fell to state champs Bloomington North. You wanted to see how your team would fair against the best even if you didn't make it.  That said I still think it's less about the state tournament and more about the schools dying off and the support of the community not being there for these bigger consolidated schools.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

When White River Valley in 93 went to the semi-state and narrowly lost to state champs Jeff we followed them to Evansville and so did a lot of local towns around the area. Even though they beat my brothers team we cheered them on because we knew they had a special squad not often seen for that size of school led by Matthew Graves. Just as when our team my senior year went to Regionals but fell to state champs Bloomington North. You wanted to see how your team would fair against the best even if you didn't make it.  That said I still think it's less about the state tournament and more about the schools dying off and the support of the community not being there for these bigger consolidated schools.

Too lazy to research it, what HS did you attend

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Look at this list and convince me that a one class basketball system did not have a big school bias and was good for the sport.

http://www.ihsaa.org/Sports/Boys/Basketball/AllTimeSectionalChampions/tabid/632/Default.aspx#2215776-most-sectional-championships-by-total

I don't think the small schools care that much. They just want a shot to knock off the big boys. Yes we might only knock off one or two before losing it was a point of great pride. We didn't have to win it all for it to still be successful season.

Here in Kentucky they have an All A Classic Tournament that covers all the regions in the state...meaning a tournament like mid-season or so for all the smaller schools to play in a state tournament....so in essence a chance to claim to be the best small school state championship. I think that would be interesting enough to have say Class A and AA schools to have that tournament...then we could still have the Single class Basketball Official State championship to claim 1 state champion. That said again I don't think the multiple state champions is hurting anything necessarily...but I still think there is charm in the old system.

Archived