Indiana HS hoops

rico

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well in our section at New Castle the host New Castle on all but 2 sectionals from 1980-2002.  I still liked the one class basketball but high school basketball is not dead like some make it out to be.

I don't think anybody here said it was dead.  Just talking about the attendance and other facets.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

What I see mostly around me...Small schools really like class basketball.  Big schools don't.  Tell Barr Reeve it's a bad thing and you'll get laughed at.  Their sectional is pretty much a sell-out every year and there's a ton of enthusiasm around those games between Barr-Reeve and their rival Loogootee.

...and they don't consider their tourney wins cheapened because of class basketball.  They enjoy the level playing field.

I've actually heard Marion fans say their most recent state title doesn't count because it's 3A, and they don't really have more state titles than any other school. That kind of big school arrogance really irritates me. I'd give my left nut to see my school win a state title in ANY sport, I wouldn't care what class it was in.

40 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I've actually heard Marion fans say their most recent state title doesn't count because it's 3A, and they don't really have more state titles than any other school. That kind of big school arrogance really irritates me. I'd give my left nut to see my school win a state title in ANY sport, I wouldn't care what class it was in.

Only state championships my old school have won is in cheerleading and they have won 6.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well in our section at New Castle the host New Castle on all but 2 sectionals from 1980-2002.  I still liked the one class basketball but high school basketball is not dead like some make it out to be.

My HS was in the New Castle Regional, and it was equally as difficult to make it out of that regional. Winning the Sectional was great but you knew the next step was the New Castle Regional.. I think they made it out of the NC regional maybe twice over a span of many, many years.

6 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

My HS was in the New Castle Regional, and it was equally as difficult to make it out of that regional. Winning the Sectional was great but you knew the next step was the New Castle Regional.. I think they made it out of the NC regional maybe twice over a span of many, many years.

which school, mu school won the sectional in 1987 which was my sophomore year and we lost in the regional to Rushville.

Late to the party on this conversation. And this isn't a participation trophy post. But 4 classes means 8 schools and their fans, family, friends get to go to Indy for a chance. It means something. 4 winners instead of 1 seems far better to me.

Of course that's coming from a kid with a school enrollment of 850 who played in Illinois for state title vs Joliet Catholic. Anyone from the area knows what they do in terms of recruiting. A true David vs Goliath.....while fun going up against those guys (Alstott and others) and we lost 22-21 on failed 2 point conversion our little town won't ever forget it. With that said if it was winner take all....we wouldn't be talking about almost 3 decades later. I like class basketball. 

59 minutes ago, rico said:

How soon we forget....is class basketball filling the Hoosier Dome with over 41,000 fans?

Not forgetting.  I was there.  But, Damon was a special phenomenon that we will never see again.  Romeo was the closest thing since then, but he didn't have the Bob Knight angle to take the story to the next level..

11 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

This is one I remember. Brebeuf didn’t fare well but two All-stars head to head. The hype leading up to the game electrified the entire state. Class basketball can’t do that 

I was there.  My alma mater was in the Final Four that year.  The "small" school.  Whitko.

13 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

This is one I remember. Brebeuf didn’t fare well but two All-stars head to head. The hype leading up to the game electrified the entire state. Class basketball can’t do that 

That was my Senior year in High school and in college my roommates played on the #1 ranked Martinsville team that beat Gary Roosevelt that season.  GROB dunked on my friend so hard he said the rim coming back up sounded like a shot gun going off in his ears. 

My team was top 10 that year and lost first night of sectional just like Martinsville did.  

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

That was my Senior year in High school and in college my roommates played on the #1 ranked Martinsville team that beat Gary Roosevelt that season.  GROB dunked on my friend so hard he said the rim coming back up sounded like a shot gun going off in his ears. 

My team was top 10 that year and lost first night of sectional just like Martinsville did.  

A little snippet from that year thanks to nwi.com.............

INDIANAPOLIS | This was the first state finals that did not play in front of a sellout crowd since 1930, and it's too bad because Glenn Robinson and his Roosevelt teammates put on a show at the Hoosier Dome.

Robinson scored a game-high 22 points to lead the Panthers to a 51-32 romp of Brebeuf in the state championship game. The highly anticipated duel between Robinson and Alan Henderson resulted in Roosevelt's favor as Henderson finished with a team-high 14 points.

In the semifinals, Roosevelt fell behind early but eventually thrashed Whitko 83-53 as Robinson scored 23 points and Panthers guards Jeff Graham and Darryl Woods added 16 and 10 points, respectively.

Roosevelt coach Ron Heflin had been to the state finals twice before, but the third time was a charm for Heflin and his Panthers (30-1). Roosevelt's only loss that season came against Martinsville. The Panthers suffered a 66-62 defeat after starting the season with a record of 11-0.

The thing that is forgotten sometimes is that you have small(ish) catholic schools etc that can and basically recruit kids that can have talent to rival much bigger schools...so regardless the playing field isn't necessarily "level" for anyone. So personally I might have graduated in a school with a total of 180 kids 9-12 I had no issues playing bigger schools. It was a sense of pride...win or lose that when they left they said that team gave us all we wanted if not send them home crying. Like I said...I think it would be neat if the small schools played a tournament say in January that had every class A and AA schools in it. Set up by regions and culminated in a championship...that should satisfy the small schools to say they won something...best of their size...but at the end of the year....put all the classes together and let them battle for a single state title. Who knows...that would still leave room for a Milan Miracle to happen and honestly after watching the small school classic it might create some buzz for some of them when they get into the real state tournament. 

4 hours ago, rico said:

A little snippet from that year thanks to nwi.com.............

INDIANAPOLIS | This was the first state finals that did not play in front of a sellout crowd since 1930, and it's too bad because Glenn Robinson and his Roosevelt teammates put on a show at the Hoosier Dome.

Robinson scored a game-high 22 points to lead the Panthers to a 51-32 romp of Brebeuf in the state championship game. The highly anticipated duel between Robinson and Alan Henderson resulted in Roosevelt's favor as Henderson finished with a team-high 14 points.

In the semifinals, Roosevelt fell behind early but eventually thrashed Whitko 83-53 as Robinson scored 23 points and Panthers guards Jeff Graham and Darryl Woods added 16 and 10 points, respectively.

Roosevelt coach Ron Heflin had been to the state finals twice before, but the third time was a charm for Heflin and his Panthers (30-1). Roosevelt's only loss that season came against Martinsville. The Panthers suffered a 66-62 defeat after starting the season with a record of 11-0.

I recall in that game that Brebeuf's guards couldn't get the ball across half court without a turnover. Henderson had to handle the ball against Roosevelt's pressure and then be the primary option on offense. He also had to defend GR. Totally wore him out.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned Brian Evans from that '91 FF.  Terre Haute South was there as well.  All four teams were led by future Big 10 players.  The Whitko player attended Michigan St.

I remember Brian. Growing up from that area I really rooted for him following him on the local news and papers. Never expected him to have the kind of career he had at IU but was very proud of him. Steve Hart also played for them.....probably had no business at IU...I think that was about the time when Knights recruiting really fell apart.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

The thing that is forgotten sometimes is that you have small(ish) catholic schools etc that can and basically recruit kids that can have talent to rival much bigger schools...so regardless the playing field isn't necessarily "level" for anyone. So personally I might have graduated in a school with a total of 180 kids 9-12 I had no issues playing bigger schools. It was a sense of pride...win or lose that when they left they said that team gave us all we wanted if not send them home crying. Like I said...I think it would be neat if the small schools played a tournament say in January that had every class A and AA schools in it. Set up by regions and culminated in a championship...that should satisfy the small schools to say they won something...best of their size...but at the end of the year....put all the classes together and let them battle for a single state title. Who knows...that would still leave room for a Milan Miracle to happen and honestly after watching the small school classic it might create some buzz for some of them when they get into the real state tournament. 

When I lived in Wisconsin, they had 3 separate championships for 3 divisions of private schools. So, there were 6 public school “state champs” and 3 more private school champs. Nine in all. Talk about watering it down ☹️

Archived