Indiana HS hoops

rico

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I agree those guys are pretty good but would think a 5 star 6'9 player could dominate a bunch of 6'3 players but he was being triple team a lot.

Westview is a dang good basketball school.  They don't have height, but they know how to play and they have tradition.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Just got back from a full day of hoops and it was a very good day of basketball.  In the first game TJD was not very aggressive and should have been able to dominate a small 2A team.  He had only 5 points at half and am not sure what he ended up with.  In the championship game he came out very aggressive and CG went up 12-2 with TJD scoring 10 points.  He was very good in this game and showed why is an big time recruit.  One thin he needs to do is learn to use both hands because he is definitely left handed dominate.  He goes over his right shoulder most of the time and going left but when he does go the other way he still shoots it left handed.  That just makes it easier to defend since his left hand is inside near the defender.

As WC they are a very well coached and discipline team and run an offense that old time IU fans would love.  The players are in constant motion and actually use off the ball screens to get their guards open.  They have 3 great small guards who can shoot ad handle the ball.  The only problem is that they tend to run a lot of the clock in the last few minutes of the quarters.  I think in the OT each team only had two possessions with WC holding the ball for over 2 minutes on one possession. WC scored with .8 seconds left to go ahead by 2 in OT but CG ran a great play and through long to TJD and he caught it and turned around and barely missed the shot at the buzzer.

Also I was pretty impressed with Newman from Valpo and he will be a pretty good player at PU.

Often time, in high school basketball, the lack of aggression of an elite player is by design.  the Center Grove coach may have very well designed a game-plan that did not heavily utilize TJD.  CG should have been able to win the first game anyway, and by not featuring TJD, you not only keep him fresh for the main event against Warren Central that night, and you also are able to build confidence for the other players and get them involved.

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Often time, in high school basketball, the lack of aggression of an elite player is by design.  the Center Grove coach may have very well designed a game-plan that did not heavily utilize TJD.  CG should have been able to win the first game anyway, and by not featuring TJD, you not only keep him fresh for the main event against Warren Central that night, and you also are able to build confidence for the other players and get them involved.

Yeah, it's like we say at work ; "pace yourselves, boys, it's a marathon, not a sprint!" 😁😁

41 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

http://indianahsbasketball.homestead.com/files/top20.htm#loaded

22 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Great stuff.  I alwats refer to you as the encyclopedia.  Did they have any players we’d remember or have heard of?

Watching Skiles on his final four run was about as fun as it ever got.  You’d just fall in love with high school basketball in Indiana.  It was mesmerizing and man did I wish I could do that.  

I like Archie as our coach but man, if we could have gotten Skiles we would have already won a national championship.  I hope that Illinois doesn't pick him up.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I understand Westview is very good.  They have to be one of the favorites, if not THE favorite in 2A this season.  But, the fact is that the Westviews, Fort Wayne Blackhawks, etc. of the world simply are not going to be able to consistently beat the mega schools of the Indianapolis area.  It's just not going to happen.  

29 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

I like Archie as our coach but man, if we could have gotten Skiles we would have already won a national championship.  I hope that Illinois doesn't pick him up.

I think we are better off with Archie, who to the best of my knowledge has never been arrested for possession of cocaine and marijuana. 

After months of fighting to stay out of jail, Scott pleaded guilty to the marijuana charge, and the cocaine charge was dropped.

Considering what IU went through with multiple  failed drug tests under Sampson... who if it were not for Dakich, could have gone unpunished by Sampson....I think that episode in our history is still too fresh on many minds to even think of hiring someone with a record like that.  Admitting it was a while back, and that marijuana is now legal in many states, including my home state..... I just feel we are better of with Archie. Also, resigning as a head NBA coach unannounced just months after signing a contract because he could not get along with others, just is a bad image as well. 

I like the guy's fire... but I'd rather see him at Illinois, than IU.

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I understand Westview is very good.  They have to be one of the favorites, if not THE favorite in 2A this season.  But, the fact is that the Westviews, Fort Wayne Blackhawks, etc. of the world simply are not going to be able to consistently beat the mega schools of the Indianapolis area.  It's just not going to happen.  

OK, I was just making sure everybody knew how good they were.  And I will add they play a lot of 4A schools.

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I think we are better off with Archie, who to the best of my knowledge has never been arrested for possession of cocaine and marijuana. 

After months of fighting to stay out of jail, Scott pleaded guilty to the marijuana charge, and the cocaine charge was dropped.

Considering what IU went through with multiple  failed drug tests under Sampson... who if it were not for Dakich, could have gone unpunished by Sampson....I think that episode in our history is still too fresh on many minds to even think of hiring someone with a record like that.  Admitting it was a while back, and that marijuana is now legal in many states, including my home state..... I just feel we are better of with Archie. Also, resigning as a head NBA coach unannounced just months after signing a contract because he could not get along with others, just is a bad image as well. 

I like the guy's fire... but I'd rather see him at Illinois, than IU.

I guess it was too long ago.  When we were hiring a new coach, I tried to start the rumor that we were hiring Scott Skiles.  I was hoping that someone in the press would pick it up.  No one did.  but a few of us on here had fun with it.

12 hours ago, rico said:

Just got done watching the channel 46 "Game of the Week"(tape delay).  Warsaw 67-Northridge 56.  Good game.  The thing that surprised me most was the Tiger Den was half empty.

Schools back in session? Perhaps a lot of people still out on holiday. That said it seems more and more in the low attention span era we live in that sporting events like most other forms of entertainment are suffering. Which is sad. That said come to Kentucky for a high school game...it’s still supposedly a basketball state and it is worse.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Schools back in session? Perhaps a lot of people still out on holiday. That said it seems more and more in the low attention span era we live in that sporting events like most other forms of entertainment are suffering. Which is sad.

Dunno about the schools being back in session.  But I expected a full house.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Schools back in session? Perhaps a lot of people still out on holiday. That said it seems more and more in the low attention span era we live in that sporting events like most other forms of entertainment are suffering. Which is sad. That said come to Kentucky for a high school game...it’s still supposedly a basketball state and it is worse.

It has nothing to do with Christmas break. A lot of people just don't go to games anymore. Too many games with scores in the 30's and 40's, dull atmospheres, sloppy play, and matchups that just aren't that interesting.

If admission prices keep going up, it's only going to get worse. I remember when it was $3 to get in...now a lot of places it's $6. Prices keep rising, attendance keeps dropping...I wonder how much longer this can survive.

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

It has nothing to do with Christmas break. A lot of people just don't go to games anymore. Too many games with scores in the 30's and 40's, dull atmospheres, sloppy play, and matchups that just aren't that interesting.

If admission prices keep going up, it's only going to get worse. I remember when it was $3 to get in...now a lot of places it's $6. Prices keep rising, attendance keeps dropping...I wonder how much longer this can survive.

The basketball is worse in a lot of other states...I wonder if all the schools consolidating etc has effected the impact of how communities support the basketball. That said I don’t think prices are a problem...stuff always goes up with inflation and usually season passes are reasonable. Games in the 30s would really upset me. I think my senior season we avg 86pts a game. That’s pretty bad kids can’t score at least 50.

The problem is we've saturated our culture with sports...high school, college, pro's.  There's sports on 24/7...and season runs into season...and it's never-ending.  People don't care that much.  As my father used to say..."if you get a chocolate malt once every couple of months then it's special...drink one at every meal and you get tired of them really fast."  😁

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Regular season is $5

2 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

The problem is we've saturated our culture with sports...high school, college, pro's.  There's sports on 24/7...and season runs into season...and it's never-ending.  People don't care that much.  As my father used to say..."if you get a chocolate malt once every couple of months then it's special...drink one at every meal and you get tired of them really fast."  😁

Amen to that because when we use to have only 4 channels before cable you would see a couple of games during the week. You would get a couple on the weekend as well so every game had a more special feel to it.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Amen to that because when we use to have only 4 channels before cable you would see a couple of games during the week. You would get a couple on the weekend as well so every game had a more special feel to it.

It's just like with bowl games in fb.  They used to be meaningful...special games...like a reward for a great season.  There were a limited, small number...and look at it now.  You said it before too, Scott.  

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Lots of options for kids besides going to a ball game. School spirit not what it used to be. Big rival might bring a crowd. Likewise a team having a kid like Romeo.

Unless a team is a clear cut title contender, lots of apathy is what I see

Lack of rivalries happen when all your rivals now go to the same school.

Archived