Indiana HS hoops

rico

Just now, IU Scott said:

To me if they don't go back to one class what good would going to just 2 classes help

I agree I think its 1 class for at least 4.

Several years ago as a  coach at a 4A school we had the pleasure of playing 3 #1 teams in a 2 week period at home all from different classes.  1A Hauser, 3A Batesville with Colt Ryan and 4A  New Albany back when Romeo was still in Elem. 

Hauser travel well and filled our gym and went on to win the 1A state title and had a great year. We beat them by 55 that year.

Batesville beat us by a few and it took a great effort by Ryan and a 30 footer late in the game for them to win

New Albany beat us by about 40.

My point is unless we go back to 1 class fewer classes does not make sense to me. I have coached at each of the 4 levels and have been part of several sectional championships and winning them at the small school level was much more enjoyable and more celebrated in our community. 

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, rico said:

More games to secure a title.

Not really because right now a team have to win two less games today than they did in a one class system.  Now you have to win 2 or games to win the sectional and pretty much had to win 3 games in one class.  The regionals today and in the past you had to win 2 games.  The Semi St you have to win 1 today instead of 2 in the past.  to win the championship you have to win 1 game instead of 2.  So if you go to two class system the format would not change that much.

Indiana started class football in the early 70's and that made sense given that numbers usually translate into more skilled and bigger kids and the chance for injury increases.

25 years later, the state decided that basketball needed to do the same thing, due to declining attendance, among other things. I don't think that class divisions is good for, or as important , in basketball. One or two high caliber kids at a small school can make that team as competitive as many bigger schools. Blackhawk Christian this year is a prime example. They beat every Ft. Wayne team this year save for Homestead, all schools larger than themselves. Sure there are other smaller schools that have had similar results. 

I like the two class system. Minnesota, which is to high school hockey what Indiana is to prep basketball, has done this for their hockey tournament. In fact, they have some schools that, by attendance, should be in the small class pool, but due to their tradition and skill level, play against the larger schools. I think Indiana could do the same for hoops.

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

It ain't going to happen.  Period. 

There isnt 5% of coaches in the state that want one class basketball. 

Why not do what they do here in Kentucky? Have an all “A” class tournament in January where only small schools are invited to play in sectionals in their area...then compete in a regional and finish with an all “A” championship. You could put the cut off at say 2A size schools. That way the small schools would have a true state wide tournament to see who the best small school is...then in March throw them all into a single class state championship? Best of both worlds!

45 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Why not do what they do here in Kentucky? Have an all “A” class tournament in January where only small schools are invited to play in sectionals in their area...then compete in a regional and finish with an all “A” championship. You could put the cut off at say 2A size schools. That way the small schools would have a true state wide tournament to see who the best small school is...then in March throw them all into a single class state championship? Best of both worlds!

Does a Class A champion that loses to a large school in the first round of the all class tournament really feel like a champion?  Sounds about like winning a holiday tourney.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Does a Class A champion that loses to a large school in the first round of the all class tournament really feel like a champion?  Sounds about like winning a holiday tourney.

Just like a 16 seed that wins in the play in game and it is considered a tournament win but loses in the first round.  To me that play in game win does not really feel like a tournament win to me.

Just now, 5fouls said:

Honestly I don't know I never played down here....I only know when I played in single class system in Indiana we were a small school...about as small as they get and winning a sectional or regional was the pinnacle of HS Basketball and a team would go down in our schools lore. Down here the local newspapers and tv make a pretty big deal out of it...it's more than just a Christmas classic etc.....because you play the best of your size over the whole state to win it. They hang banners up for it in the schools....they are only one of two states without class basketball. I think it's pretty popular but we are also talking about Kentucky HS basketball....it is no where near as popular as in Indiana. It started out with some people inviting 6 teams to compete....like a round robin I believe....and it just kept growing until it basically involved all the class "A" schools. Don't get me wrong...I've known some schools that make a bigger deal of winning their sectional than making it to state semi-state for the all "a" tourney just because beating a local goliath was a bigger deal...but to me it's the best of both worlds.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Honestly I don't know I never played down here....I only know when I played in single class system in Indiana we were a small school...about as small as they get and winning a sectional or regional was the pinnacle of HS Basketball and a team would go down in our schools lore. Down here the local newspapers and tv make a pretty big deal out of it...it's more than just a Christmas classic etc.....because you play the best of your size over the whole state to win it. They hang banners up for it in the schools....they are only one of two states without class basketball. I think it's pretty popular but we are also talking about Kentucky HS basketball....it is no where near as popular as in Indiana. It started out with some people inviting 6 teams to compete....like a round robin I believe....and it just kept growing until it basically involved all the class "A" schools. Don't get me wrong...I've known some schools that make a bigger deal of winning their sectional than making it to state semi-state for the all "a" tourney just because beating a local goliath was a bigger deal...but to me it's the best of both worlds.

In 1987 my sophomore year we won our first sectional since 1958 and the hole next week we did not really go to class but it was a huge party for most of the week.  Saying that it probably did not help us because we lost our first game of the regional.

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

In 1987 my sophomore year we won our first sectional since 1958 and the hole next week we did not really go to class but it was a huge party for most of the week.  Saying that it probably did not help us because we lost our first game of the regional.

Yeah my senior year was the last year for class basketball. We made it to the Regional finals but lost to eventual state champs Bloomington North. Winning sectionals was a big deal for us....but you always want to test yourself with bigger schools and we proudly won the first game of the regionals...we just didn't have the energy to play two games in the same day against two bigger schools...we were even up at half time. That said it would be pretty neat to know if we were the best small school in the state...would it mean as much...no...nor should it...but it would mean more than an all county classic tourney imo. I think small schools would like to measure themselves against each other...but also like that Milan opportunity as well!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Princeton Tiger High School star and Notre Dame standout Jackie Young taken #1 overall in WNBA draft. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jackie-young-no-1-pick-wnba-draft-004440162--spt.html

Love seeing that.  Jackie was a class act in high school as well as being extraordinarily talented.  Hope she does really well for herself.

21 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

She with what IU had the past few years would have made us a legit threat in the BIG and beyond 

Yes. I'm hoping the past two season continue to build the program for us. Great year for the ladies and perhaps we do land a couple girls like her some day and make a deep run...that would be awesome!

Archived