Indiana HS hoops

rico

10 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

I spend time in California and watch some HS games out there. Indiana needs a shot clock. 

If it ever happens, Indiana will probably be the last state to ever get it. This state tends to operate about 20-30 years behind the rest of the world. When it comes to changing something, people here are some of the most reluctant and stubborn you'll ever come across.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

If it ever happens, Indiana will probably be the last state to ever get it. This state tends to operate about 20-30 years behind the rest of the world. When it comes to changing something, people here are some of the most reluctant and stubborn you'll ever come across.

I will argue until the day I die that Indiana should be in the Central time zone 

• 4 months later...
On 5/3/2019 at 7:09 PM, TheWatShot said:

“They’re all 5 years ahead of their time, or 25 behind, I just don’t know”

The Great Midwest, John Mellencamp

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Indytime said:

Interesting that the infractions are not detailed.  Recruiting automatically comes to mind, but the best player is also the coaches son.

I love transparency lol...what the heck can we be more vague. I understand not mentioning kids names etc if they did something wrong but you would think the public should know what it was. Could be many things. I think our coach got in trouble once for being at open gym during the summer where kids where too many players were playing together etc. Seems that this is something his assistant did. The infraction must have been pretty minor for a few games suspension and probation.

43 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I love transparency lol...what the heck can we be more vague. I understand not mentioning kids names etc if they did something wrong but you would think the public should know what it was. Could be many things. I think our coach got in trouble once for being at open gym during the summer where kids where too many players were playing together etc. Seems that this is something his assistant did. The infraction must have been pretty minor for a few games suspension and probation.

Yep, could be many things.  Illegal scrimmages/practices, transcript problems, or even a player getting in trouble with the law.  Who knows.

11 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The violation that occurred was last May. Culver had alumni come in and played current players on the team in open gym type scrimmage or pick up game. That is in fact what caused the suspension and the probation for the coming season. 

Totally makes sense. We had alumni practice with us all the time...however during the summer we would often play after lifting weights/running and it would be easy for a coach to walk in and talk to us etc. I wonder who would even report such a thing. Oh well. These kids are playing almost year round whether its AAU or what ever...some of these rules are out of touch.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Totally makes sense. We had alumni practice with us all the time...however during the summer we would often play after lifting weights/running and it would be easy for a coach to walk in and talk to us etc. I wonder who would even report such a thing. Oh well. These kids are playing almost year round whether its AAU or what ever...some of these rules are out of touch.

Culver posted pictures of it from their basketball twitter account. They also had posts inviting alumni to come so it could have been anyone and the evidence was pretty easy to come by. 

Just now, DC2345 said:

Culver posted pictures of it from their basketball twitter account. They also had posts inviting alumni to come so it could have been anyone and the evidence was pretty easy to come by. 

Ok...yeah...that would do it lol. Culver sounds like IU...not very good at covering up the rules game. However, if like IU they would have fired the coach, given back all their trophies, and self imposed like a 5 year ban on the basketball team.

27 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The violation that occurred was last May. Culver had alumni come in and played current players on the team in open gym type scrimmage or pick up game. That is in fact what caused the suspension and the probation for the coming season. 

My alma mater got busted for that back in 90-91 over x-mas break...they ended up going to the FF...and I was one of the alumni(former player).

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Maybe a parent of an upperclassman who has a son that is not getting the minutes that they think he should

Just a guess

20 minutes ago, Clint Johnson said:

Why is the IHSAA opposed to alumni coming back to high school and playing with current players? That seems totally harmless to me!

It is viewed as a scrimmage . Dumb rule IMO

You have to put the.former players on staff to do it according to the rules. We used to have Mike and Greg Maddux come in over Christmas break and play with our guys

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, let me get this straight  The Zeller brothers can't go play a pickup game with the Washington High School basketball team, but Lebron, Kawhi, KD, Curry, and Harden can?

I don't know, I am not aware of all the rules.  But from my memory, in my day, it had to do with a coach being present with current players.  But I am 52.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

So, let me get this straight  The Zeller brothers can't go play a pickup game with the Washington High School basketball team, but Lebron, Kawhi, KD, Curry, and Harden can?

No. Not if they are not on staff. I’m pretty sure only kids with eligibility are allowed to practice with team...so no graduates can scrimmage or practice with the players During the season whether it’s alumni or not. I think about every school in Indiana breaks or has broken that rule at some point. Most teams have older guys come in and practice to give the team some better players than the B Team to practice with. Heck I remember Joey Hart and his teammate Mohammad Acha at Coastsl Carolina and several other alumni practicing against us to get us eady for Bloomington North when they had the state championship team with Kueth Duany, Dabril Kante, Ryan Reed, and Jeremy Sensabaugh. You just can’t simulate that with Freshman lol.

4 hours ago, rico said:

I don't know, I am not aware of all the rules.  But from my memory, in my day, it had to do with a coach being present with current players.  But I am 52.

I think it could be that or when more than 3 kids are on the same team during the summer a coach can’t be present or something like that too..but that might have changed because doesn’t IU hold these summer high school camps for the top teams? Anyways I can’t keep up with the rules.

Archived