Northwestern Postgame Thread

Northwestern has a legit squad. There will be no easy wins, either home or away this year, and with all of the injuries, I'm happy to take this W, ugly as it was. Some fans might think that this shouldn't have been this close, but this is the B1G. Any team can win anywhere on any given day. It's chaos season and this is why we love the game. Romeo did exactly what he was recruited for today, and that makes me pretty dang happy. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, FKIM01 said:

His mom and his uncle posting in the forum are just destroying what little chance he has to excel.  It's absolutely laughable that he put his name in the draft last year.  Talk about delusional...

"so, what should I be working on to get drafted?"

Every NBA scout: "Everything."

Getting your degree and a job. You have no future in the NBA. 

3 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I fully expected a difficult game because of the way NW plays and their length. Glad we survived. Just very worried how bad Juwan's injury was. 

Someone on the injury thread said Juwan asked back in, but the coaching staff wouldn't let him. Said it was a shin bruise.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

It’s clear as day. Romeo has to touch the ball at least once per possession. I’m still of the mindset he should be the #1 option every possession

I absolutely agree. Romeo HAS to be the focal point, every possession. I would like to have seen Anderson get a little more play as well. He seems to bring good energy off of the bench. Al has made some big strides since last year and it’s showing. I thought he got called with a couple of ticky-tac fouls, too.

Is Green still recovering? I think he needs to start. We need his defense.

Against bigger teams, I think Davis should start over Smith. 

Interestingly, we had 2 players with a - in the =/-. Morgan was -5 and McRoberts was -13. Phinisee led the team with a +7 but had only 1 assist to go with his 2 turnovers. 

Romeo and Morgan are my co MVPs. Morgan with a double double.

This was the first game I saw Romeo playing with intensity. He defended well and avoided the lazy passes. 

Northwestern was a good test for our young guys. I think they have a chance at making the big dance, they are a tough nose group. Northwestern will go as far as Law and their big dude down low(can’t remember his name) can take em. 

Great hardfought win. Glad it appears Juwans injury is a shin bruise. Should be back for Penn St. Smith still looks too timid, needs to be more confident regardless of the outcome at the rim. Romeo will be Romeo. Work on some turnovers and free throws.  

The highly coveted mile hi game ball goes to...........

Romeo !

Congrats Romeo.

AND, the first ever mile hi..... special effort trophy goes to.....

Zac.... the Attack..... McRoberts.

For his effort to keep the sideline ball from going out of bounds.  Where others coming back from an injury would have left well enough alone, so as not to hurt themselves again.... Mr. Attack, sacrificed himself and injury for the team. Only to keep the ball inbounds, leading to a trey by Romeo.... which eventually, IMHO, was the difference in the game.  Thank you Mr. Attack.... your special effort led to IU winning the game, as far as I am concerned.

10 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I absolutely agree. Romeo HAS to be the focal point, every possession. I would like to have seen Anderson get a little more play as well. He seems to bring good energy off of the bench. Al has made some big strides since last year and it’s showing. I thought he got called with a couple of ticky-tac fouls, too.

Romeo is so special a player. It doesn’t matter that Juwan is a senior and Romeo is a freshman. Romeo should absolutely be the focal point

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Interestingly, we had 2 players with a - in the =/-. Morgan was -5 and McRoberts was -13. Phinisee led the team with a +7 but had only 1 assist to go with his 2 turnovers. 

I think Green needs to start too. He did a great job on the defensive end slipping screens and challenging shots. On the offensive end, he had some adventures...

But the spin out of the double team that led to Smith's uncontested layup was huge.

I thought De'Ron did the best job of belly bucking with Pardon down low. Pardon got him once, but overall, I though De'Ron did a decent job.

The +/- WAS interesting. 

But I think McRoberts' dive and save was the biggest single play of the game. In a tight one, every possession is dear...

15 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Romeo and Morgan are my co MVPs. Morgan with a double double.

This was the first game I saw Romeo playing with intensity. He defended well and avoided the lazy passes. 

That plus/minus makes sense. Morgan was abused on the defensive end and we were loads better on the defensive end without him. McRoberts was an offensive liability today, even with the intangibles he brings. 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But I think McRoberts' dive and save was the biggest single play of the game. In a tight one, every possession is dear...

And that is why I gave....."The Attack".... the first ever..... mile hi special effort trophy.  His special effort, after an injury... led to Romeo's trey.... which in the end was the difference in the game.

We NEED Justin Smith to be more aggressive and to use his athleticism. I'm of the mind that this kid's woes are almost 100% mental. He seems distracted, like his girlfriend just dumped him or something. I'm not the pile on JS train, because ultimately I think he is an extremely valuable piece to this team. But man, that kid needs to find another gear. For a dude that supposedly has a 48" vertical, he just doesn't seem to use it when it's needed most. One of the last plays of the game where ? stole it and found Justin wide open under the basket...alone. DUNK THE BALL! He just laid it in, and didn't even look comfortable doing that. I really hope this kid finds his way through the weeds, because he could be a linchpin in a pretty decent team. 

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

And that is why I gave....."The Attack".... the first ever..... mile hi special effort trophy.  His special effort, after an injury... led to Romeo's trey.... which in the end was the difference in the game.

You guys beat me to it! I was going to mention that I thought that play swung the momentum of the game to IU. 

I’m very proud of Romeo.  He was outstanding on both ends. Northwestern played a nice, confident game and they made Romeo a focal point to stop.  But, Romeo was patient and extremely efficient.  

Up until today, you could knock Romeo’s defense at times and his inefficiencies. But today in a tough situation he was very good.  

Personally, I think NW is going to cause problems and may sneak out some hard fought victories against good teams. I compare the B1G schedule to an NFL schedule.  You’re happy with each win.  Virtually nothing comes easy with this gauntlet.  

As for IU, there looks to be a cap on the upside.  These guys can’t hit free throws and it’s going to limit your upside.  Then, after Romeo and Juwan, the third option is tricky.  Smith isn’t ready for that.  Devonte is all over the place.  No one has really emerged.  Other than Fitzner, and he’s limited, there aren’t bulls eye shooters.  These three things make our offense a challenge and essentially limits the team. Get in the tourney, win a game, and we call this thing as being on the right track.  That’s the upside right now.

Archived