Northwestern Postgame Thread

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My takeaways....

-Northwestern is a solid, well-coached team

-FT shooting HAS to get better

-Concerned this team is going to struggle all year from 3, which is going to make it tough to go deep in the tourney.

-We have to get more out of Smith or we’re going to get abused in the post like we did today regularly.  Unfortunately he’s lost in all aspects right now. 

-Proud of how this team found a way at the end without Morgan, especially Romeo. Kid is smooth, just needs to be stronger with the ball. 

-Continue to play hard on D, but we have to lock in 100% of the time, not just 75% of the time. 

-Not confident we’ll go to PSU on Tues and win. 

This is a better Northwestern team than many expected...can’t look past a team like this. 

We started to find pacing more as the game went on...but, we are still playing too fast. We need offensive rhythm more than anything else. Our three point shooting, rushed. Our play development and movement away from the basketball has no continuity or relationship to the movement of the ball. 

With the guys coming back from injuries, we need to continue to improve...get accustomed to playing in real time with one another. It’s gonna be a good, fun season...we just need to try to be patient and watch the guys get better with reps.

8 hours ago, zerawkid said:

One more thought:

If you’re still one of those who hates on Deron Davis, it’s probably time to stop.

I agree. Did you see Archie's postgame? He said he should have used De'Ron more in the 2nd half. We need De'Ron to battle the Nick Wards and Kaleb Wessons of the B10.

I thought he played pretty well yesterday.

18 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Sunday morning read -- The Report Card. Includes links to final box score and specialty stats, both coaches post game and game highlights.

I really love your stuff.  I've never said it before.  

I'm going to have to question Morgan with an A-.  After last night I think we all have been vastly overrating him and that seems to be the case again.  That defense.  Barf.  Unbecoming of a conference player of the year candidate.  I get the idea we need him on the floor so don't foul out.  I think we could also lay blame on Smith for not stepping up and being the defense bigger man we need his role to really be.  Davis is doing the best he can do after injury and doing a fine job considering.  Still loads of room for improvement and as you pointed out, chemistry still an issue but it will get smoothed out.  

34 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I really love your stuff.  I've never said it before.  

I'm going to have to question Morgan with an A-.  After last night I think we all have been vastly overrating him and that seems to be the case again.  That defense.  Barf.  Unbecoming of a conference player of the year candidate.  I get the idea we need him on the floor so don't foul out.  I think we could also lay blame on Smith for not stepping up and being the defense bigger man we need his role to really be.  Davis is doing the best he can do after injury and doing a fine job considering.  Still loads of room for improvement and as you pointed out, chemistry still an issue but it will get smoothed out.  

There is no doubt about it -- this team's post defense is an issue right now.  If Morgan is consciously trying to not get fouls, that isn't going to translate into good defense.  Does he deserve an A-?  Everyone is entitled to an opinion on that.  

I am beginning to think of Smith as a young Watford, but with hops. 

Smith is catching a lot of flack, understandable, but he showed some good play in this game, as CAM noted. Like Wat as a frosh-soph, he is not strong around the basket and seems timid at times. Wat had more of an all-around game early, but Smith probably has more upside. Way couldn’t guard anyone early, he turned into one of our best defenders, and zsmith has CAM and staff to help him. I think patience for Smith is needed.

Rob is very good, but his being only a frosh is showing. 1 assist and more TO’s, limited scoring in this game. His upside is readily apparent, but Green needs more floor time, his D and that added scoring-shooting, and experience, is very much needed. 

DeRon is impressing. If he can get-stay in game shape and healthy he’s going to help more than most (including me) thought. He’s not explosive, but he is showing good instincts and that strength in the post that we’re missing 

2 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Davis defended the post effectively down the stretch, particularly when Morgan went out. As a matter of fact, I could be wrong on this, but was there another post bucket scored against him from that point on?

I listened to the pre-game show.  Archie talked about needing Morgan on the floor...no early foul trouble.  Sooooo, I think Juwan is timid defensively where as Davis is not.

19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Wow.  I am not used to seeing such good vibe headed De'Ron's way. I thought I , along with a rare few others were the only ones on the De'Ron Davis bandwagon. It's good to see more of you hopping on.  It' a big bandwagon, plenty of room for more. 

You never heard me talk bad about De'Ron.  Just sayin'!!!!!!!

24 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Wow.  I am not used to seeing such good vibe headed De'Ron's way. I thought I , along with a rare few others were the only ones on the De'Ron Davis bandwagon. It's good to see more of you hopping on.  It' a big bandwagon, plenty of room for more. 

I’ve never left the Deron bandwagon. I think this fan base chalks up his size and conventional five man build as being a poor fit for Archie’s style and think he can’t possibly be effective. I think, while lumbering, to be sure, he is deceptively quick. If he continues to sharpen his IQ, he’ll end up finding even better angles and positioning. I think he already understands guarding the post better than Juwan.

I can’t help thinking back to the preseason when there was a pile on happening, one of our members said something to the effect that he didn’t think Deron would ever play basketball for the Hoosiers again.

Its looking like beyond getting some scratch minutes, he may, in fact, be a very important part of this team moving forward.

Random thoughts after watching the game. 

- NW is better than we thought, though a little limited in that they have no point guard. 

- IU, while still good, is not as good at the moment as we hoped. Injuries have absolutely impacted that, but some key guys need to step up and become consistent for this team to reach its potential. It’s early and there’s is certainly time for that to happen. 

- That was one of the worst officiated games I’ve seen. It’s insane for a team like IU to get hosed that like at home I don’t care what the final foul numbers and free throw totals were, the refs certainly helped keep NW in that game. 

- This team desperately needs Justin Smith and Devonte Green to play better and more consistent. We really need a 3rd consistent scorer

- We really need some shooters too. There’s an idea that maybe TJD can convince Isiah Steward to join the 2019 class, and while I’d never turn down another 5* big, I’m much more concerned about shooting and guard play for next season, especially if Langford leaves. 

- I’m a big Phinisee fan, think he has a great future, but like many said heading into the season, Devonte Green was going to be a big indicator of how the season goes, and this team could really use him stepping up and seizing the pg role. This team needs some scoring and consistency out of that spot. 

- Loved seeing Langford step up down the stretch, and as others have said, when Morgan went out it was like a switch went off for him. We need him to be that aggressive all the time. 

- Again, if Smith and Green can step up and be consistent, then the sky is the limit, if not we’re probably a middle of the pack Big Ten team squeezing into March as a 7-9 seed. 

- On Davis. I’m so happy to see him playing well. I’ve consistently said he’s a great kid and in the offseason social media you could see he loves IU. With that said, we weren’t “hating on him” during the offseason, it’s just that basketball has changed. Plodding centers aren’t the norm anymore and are much more easily exposed. There is definitely a role for him on this team, and I will absolutely admit and am happy that he’s playing much, much better than I thought. It’s great for him and it’s great for the team. 

Rambling done...

Agree with you BGleas. 

I like how Colin’s touched on Morgan being a 4 and playing the 5 spot. To me, that is a weakness going up against teams that have a reliable true 5. While Morgan has great post skills offensively, he can be easily exploited under the basket defensively without help. Repeated attacks and eventually he is going to sit with foul trouble. That was the game plan according to Coach Colin’s and I have to believe the Arkansas game tape had a lot to do with that. 

When the shots aren’t falling from the perimeter, it’s nice to have a go to big man on the block. A healthy Deron Davis in the lineup changes the way teams guard Morgan as well as perimeter wings. 

Dont get me wrong. Morgan is a beast on the block. I think for him personally, IU not having a true big in the lineup has caused him to have no choice but to evolve his game. He is a better all around player now because of it.

Like you BGleas, I’m also a RP fan. He is good and is going to be great.

36 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I would start DD only when the other team has a  banger starting.

Some may find this surprising, coming from me.  But I would never start De'Ron while Juwan is still a member of this team, and  Juwan is in good health.

So...... you are asking me why ?

And here is why.  De'Ron still is too prevalent to picking up early fouls.  Though it did not happen early in the NW game, there was a time when De'Ron was clearly beaten under the bucket, by his man.  Instead of just letting his man go, and living for another day, De'Ron came towards his man's back, after being beaten, and committed the foul. Should have just let the man go.  I was yelling at De'Ron after that play..... as if I was watching him play in high school.  This time.... I am sure he could not hear me.

We'll start De'Ron next season. But first, he has got to learn when it makes no sense to foul. 

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Some may find this surprising, coming from me.  But I would never start De'Ron while Juwan is still a member of this team, and  Juwan is in good health.

So...... you are asking me why ?

And here is why.  De'Ron still is too prevalent to picking up early fouls.  Though it did not happen early in the NW game, there was a time when De'Ron was clearly beaten under the bucket, by his man.  Instead of just letting his man go, and living for another day, De'Ron came towards his man's back, after being beaten, and committed the foul. Should have just let the man go.  I was yelling at De'Ron after that play..... as if I was watching him play in high school.  This time.... I am sure he could not hear me.

We'll start De'Ron next season. But first, he has got to learn when it makes no sense to foul. 

I was think earlier how we would be if we started De'Ron instead of Smith against Penn State. Bring Smith in when Morgan or De'Ron each pick up their first foul 

Archived