Northwestern Postgame Thread

I’d put Fitzner and Davis ahead of Smith on the depth chart until further notice.  Smith can be a spot player, and his athleticism would be a change of pace.  I’m interested in seeing what Race looks like out there.  

The free throw situation is bordering on alarming.  It’s more than adventure when they step up to the line.  We shouldn’t be that terrified when our guys are shooting free throws.  

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The free throw situation is bordering on alarming.  It’s more than adventure when they step up to the line.  We shouldn’t be that terrified when our guys are shooting free throws.  

I wonder if Archie is having conversations with his brother.  As, currently, Arizona is hitting 74% of their free throws...... AS A TEAM !

One problem this roster has is that Morgan is one of the best offensive players in the paint in the conference, but he really struggles to defend the block, mainly due to foul trouble. But, if you play him and Davis together, then you’re really clogging the lane offensively for guys like Langford, Phinisee, Green Durham to penetrate. 

IMO, this roster would be so much better off if we had a bouncy, athletic big that could block shots and rebound defensively and shoot from the perimeter, even just the midrange, offensively.  

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

One problem this roster has is that Morgan is one of the best offensive players in the paint in the conference, but he really struggles to defend the block, mainly due to foul trouble. But, if you play him and Davis together, then you’re really clogging the lane offensively for guys like Langford, Phinisee, Green Durham to penetrate. 

IMO, this roster would be so much better off if we had a bouncy, athletic big that could block shots and rebound defensively and shoot from the perimeter, even just the midrange, offensively.  

Minus perimeter game, you just described TJD! Can’t wait

9 hours ago, DocHoosier said:

Minus perimeter game, you just described TJD! Can’t wait

I'm hoping that TJD can continue to improve his outside shot and come in with at least a respectable jumper.  Given how hard the kid works and the time before he actually plays a game (almost a year), I think there is a good chance we see that improvement.  If he also grows a couple more inches before he gets here, watch out. 

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

You just described Smith's role.  Thing is it appears CAM believes in him or is willing to ride out his struggles.  

16 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

You just described Smith's role.  Thing is it appears CAM believes in him or is willing to ride out his struggles.  

I agree. Smith has the potential, CAM / staff seem to be working with the development of that potential. Smith has had his struggles but he's also looked good / shown promise.

When you sit a guy, who you play in his spot, are bigger questions than I think often get credit here. Davis is not the solution, to start, imo. He does not fit the tempo / role the team is looking for as a starter. His mobility is limited, he is not a guy who can step outside, he is not quick, etc. He is, though, a really good player who has already shown he can fill a big need (pun intended) against bigger lineups and to hold down the post. I thought maybe Fitz would start, given how he can help spread the floor, and can see that happening in some games, but he has his limitations as well. I think we're seeing guys, and more so Smith, develop into roles with chemistry, which comes from playing -- and practicing -- more together and without the injuries. 

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I more meant someone that could defend the block so Juwan doesn't have too. The issue is we need a big that can defend the other teams best big, but offensively play around the perimeter so Juwan can still operate down low offensively. 

Archived