Northwestern Postgame Thread

24 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

That plus/minus makes sense. Morgan was abused on the defensive end and we were loads better on the defensive end without him. McRoberts was an offensive liability today, even with the intangibles he brings. 

Gotta wonder if Juwan is going to be taking a less aggressive approach on defense, knowing how much his presence on the floor means to the team. I don't mind that, but if that's what is going to happen, don't put him on one of their better players.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I absolutely agree. Romeo HAS to be the focal point, every possession. I would like to have seen Anderson get a little more play as well. He seems to bring good energy off of the bench. Al has made some big strides since last year and it’s showing. I thought he got called with a couple of ticky-tac fouls, too.

This is a very interesting point.  I’d make Romeo 1A and let Juwan play off that as 1B.  

Let’s see some more data but it may not be a coincidence how well Romeo played late with Juwan out.  He literally took over.  He almost seemed more comfortable knowing what he had to do.  And he was engaged on D.

i want to see that defense from Romeo all the time.  

I hope Juwan is ok and back for next game.

I'm glad this game was at home because I think a good chance IU loses it at NW.

Romeo seemed like the beast was unleashed a little when Juwan went down late.  Perhaps he was being a little too unselfish and tentative because he was deferring somewhat to Juwan? I was really pleased with his defense overall today as well.

The free throw shooting is driving me crazy!

58 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He literally took over.  He almost seemed more comfortable knowing what he had to do.  And he was engaged on D.

Probably because that's what's been expected of him since he picked up a basketball...Well, maybe a little after that. He's use to being THE MAN.

Agree 100% on the D part...

Hate to sound like a broken record...

We started two kids who just played their first B1G game. Doesn’t matter who the preseason competition has been, the intensity of conference play is a step or three up for them. Rob and Romeo got their first taste of what they signed up for when they committed to IU.

For that matter, we started two sophomores as well— kids with some experience but certainly not a ton.

My point being, Northwestern started a pretty mature team. Seniors and grad transfers. Experience, especially this early in the season, makes a big difference. 

We survived. Young kids got a great learning experience. Hopefully, Morgan’s injury is not serious and hopefully we learn and improve because of this game 

59 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Let’s see some more data but it may not be a coincidence how well Romeo played late with Juwan out.  He literally took over.  He almost seemed more comfortable knowing what he had to do.

Maybe when the senior leader seems to be out (injury), the kid takes over 'cuz he knows he has to. The understudy owns the play when the star can't make it. That kinda thing?

1 hour ago, Muckraker said:

You guys beat me to it! I was going to mention that I thought that play swung the momentum of the game to IU. 

I may have beaten you to it.  But great basketball minds think alike.  It didn't seem as much at the time.... other than a great effort, by a guy coming off of injury.  But, in the end... it proved to be the difference in the game, in my humble estimation.  As I keep saying... many times than not... it is the little things done.... that make the difference between a W and a L.  The media will never talk about what "the Attack" did... but.... it proved to be the difference between a W and a L. Effort, effort, effort.  Something that Coach Knight's teams gave us most all the time..... and now we are seeing the same from Archie's teams as well.  One does not have to score in order to make a difference in a game.

I am pleased that you saw the significance of that effort play, as well.

IU 1&0 in Big Ten while the pee yew smellermakers get clobbered by 19 points , start Big Ten play 0&1 after. losing their Second game in a row !! Gotta love it ! ?Hoping J Morgen' s injury is not too serious !!!!!!! PS . Come on Hoosoer nation. ! Northwestern was 6&1. After beating Virginia Tech (the team that beat the smellermakers 89 to 83!!!) The Wildcats have one of the B10's best players in Pardon ! A good win for the mash unit Hoosiers !!

3 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

It was obvious. When Juwan went down, it was like a switch went off for Romeo. He absolutely took over.

And to think, in the game thread, there was some jackwagon whining about Romeo "disappearing."

Romeo is not used to deferring to someone like Juwan.  With Juwan out, he was in his element as THE man.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

His mom and his uncle posting in the forum are just destroying what little chance he has to excel.  It's absolutely laughable that he put his name in the draft last year.  Talk about delusional...

"So, what should I be working on to get drafted?"

Every NBA scout: "Everything."

What is his uncle's posting name?  I know his mom's.

If they don’t choke down the stretch as is historically their pattern, NW will be a tournament team. They were much better than advertised. There are things that are disappointing so far about this team, but can anybody make a valid, non-emotional argument that they are not vastly improved? There will be more bumps along the way, but look at what we are becoming. My biggest concern, and there is not much Archie can do, is having 1 healthy BIG body. DD is already wearing out, he is injury prone and has bad legs. To me, the Achilles heel, ( pun intended) of this team is guarding a big. Big bodies give Juwan trouble. Big, agile bodies give DD trouble. Fitzner cannot guard a 5. Archie and staff have done, in my opinion, the best job they can to over compensate for the problem, except I do agree with those who suggested we play some zone vs Duke. We still have a Roster management problem, and that was why most of us had issues with FCTC. As the great Mike Davis said, help is on the way. We are getting better, we will make a run later in the season, AND, it won’t be a complete shock to see Romeo stay one more. Relax, enjoy the process. We could very well be next year’s Duke. With mostly Indiana kids. I’m still pumped. 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not saying it will happen. But as of tonight, discussion is....don't be surprised if you see Juwan wearing a shin guard protection against PSU.  Purely precautionary. 

Sunday, may bring a different result. However for now.... nothing to be concerned with. 

Obviously, random twitter posts aren't always reliable but it sounds like he's at least walking around on his own strength. 

1403919839_ScreenShot2018-12-01at8_37_51PM.png.6e324c14405e578a1eaf1acdca9a01e9.png

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I may have beaten you to it.  But great basketball minds think alike.  It didn't seem as much at the time.... other than a great effort, by a guy coming off of injury.  But, in the end... it proved to be the difference in the game, in my humble estimation.  As I keep saying... many times than not... it is the little things done.... that make the difference between a W and a L.  The media will never talk about what "the Attack" did... but.... it proved to be the difference between a W and a L. Effort, effort, effort.  Something that Coach Knight's teams gave us most all the time..... and now we are seeing the same from Archie's teams as well.  One does not have to score in order to make a difference in a game.

I am pleased that you saw the significance of that effort play, as well.

Thanks for the kind words, Mile. Morgan and Romeo were the players of the game, today, but the play by Zack really woke up both the team, and the crowd.

34 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I asked in have thread but I think it got missed.  Weren't we supposed to play a pack line defense.  What we play isn't what I think of as a pack line.  Mostly I saw man.  Unless I am missing something

I dont think pack line and man to man is that much different.  Im down with whatever works best.

40 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I asked in have thread but I think it got missed.  Weren't we supposed to play a pack line defense.  What we play isn't what I think of as a pack line.  Mostly I saw man.  Unless I am missing something

The pack line defense is a man to man defensive scheme.  It’s supposed to keep people out of the paint and force them to shoot contested mid range and three point jump shots.  

2 hours ago, Rev_AK said:

There are things that are disappointing so far about this team, but can anybody make a valid, non-emotional argument that they are not vastly improved? 

This, I think, is going to be the diverging point of conversation about this year’s team. I think most would say they expected this team to compete for the conference championship because of Romeo. I have to admit I am among them. But, taken in with last year, this year is going to be a clear improvement over last year. And, when you take it in stride with last year, it’s much more palatable. The question is how patient people are going to be. Perhaps we need to stop viewing the team in a prism of conference champion of our own making and just appreciate the improvement of their ride. That will do me well, this season, for sure. 

Archived