Archie Miller

Archie made some great play calls down the stretch to win the game with Juwan Morgan out with injury. I'm still not sold on this team yet long term, there are still a lot of holes in this roster.

That being said, the coaching today was very good and with the job he's done at recruiting so far we are going to be a force to be reckoned with very soon. It just might take a bit longer than some of us expected.

biggest outstanding issues for me is the priority of offense and minutes allocation.

We need to get Romeo cutting to the basket more. His shot isnt consistent enough to camp him out at 3 like we do so often. I would love to see more slashing plays for him and high screens to try and let him get to the rim where its basically automatic points if he has the ball.

The minutes allocation is tough because of our injuries, but the amount of time Justin Smith sees the floor is just absurd. Not sure what the solution is here for that, but I'm hoping he has other lineups in mind to dole out for long stretches of games because we shoot ourselves in the foot often with what has been put out there thus far.

That said, still happy with what we've seen. If this keeps up we should see our best basketball when it matters, and I'm fine with being patient.

6 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

biggest outstanding issues for me is the priority of offense and minutes allocation.

We need to get Romeo cutting to the basket more. His shot isnt consistent enough to camp him out at 3 like we do so often. I would love to see more slashing plays for him and high screens to try and let him get to the rim where its basically automatic points if he has the ball.

The minutes allocation is tough because of our injuries, but the amount of time Justin Smith sees the floor is just absurd. Not sure what the solution is here for that, but I'm hoping he has other lineups in mind to dole out for long stretches of games because we shoot ourselves in the foot often with what has been put out there thus far.

That said, still happy with what we've seen. If this keeps up we should see our best basketball when it matters, and I'm fine with being patient.

He did get Romeo some nice shots towards the basket late in this game. This is a game that Crean loses no question, I just think there is soo much youth/injuries on this team that it's going to be really hard for a lot of the role players that we need to produce.

I think the thing that impresses me the most about Romeo's game is that he's willing to get his within the framework of the offense. And I think his teammates see that and appreciate it.

I'm worried that Rob Phinisee has lost his confidence though. I think he sees Devonte in his rear view coming up fast. Hope he can recover what we all saw at the first of the year.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think the thing that impresses me the most about Romeo's game is that he's willing to get his within the framework of the offense. And I think his teammates see that and appreciate it.

I'm worried that Rob Phinisee has lost his confidence though. I think he sees Devonte in his rear view coming up fast. Hope he can recover what we all saw at the first of the year.

I'm not worried about Phinisee at all, he's a true freshman already getting more minutes than I expected. He clearly has a high bball IQ and he will only keep getting better with experience.

That's a look of a guy much like myself who is 5'9 or 5'10 and would love/dream to just once step on the court being 6'7 with a 48 inch vertical. Haha. Growing pains for all. I can deal with them as long as we win. We'll see what losing at Arkansas taught us. One benefit I see upcoming is we have 3 games in 17 days. Plenty of time for kids to heal and practice. 

Archived