Is there any chance the Northwestern coach stays?

Payday

I’m not sure he will make it through the end of the game before someone makes him an offer. I thought they would get blown out in this game, but if you look at his record there, he might be one of the best in college football. I would take him over the Purdue coach if I had a big time program in need.

19 minutes ago, Payday said:

I’m not sure he will make it through the end of the game before someone makes him an offer. I thought they would get blown out in this game, but if you look at his record there, he might be one of the best in college football. I would take him over the Purdue coach if I had a big time program in need.

It is his dream job, I honestly don't see Pat leaving.  But I would love to have him at IU.

7 hours ago, Payday said:

Never will leave. 9 bowls in 13 years (counting this year). Huge investments in lakefront facilities, program is strong as ever, from the area....honestly the only place I could see him going would be pro. There isn't another college gig he would consider. 

And this is the part that drives me crazy. Northwestern has done very, very well for a long period of time without spending $ on facilities (until recently). Why can't we expect similar?

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Never will leave. 9 bowls in 13 years (counting this year). Huge investments in lakefront facilities, program is strong as ever, from the area....honestly the only place I could see him going would be pro. There isn't another college gig he would consider. 

And this is the part that drives me crazy. Northwestern has done very, very well for a long period of time without spending $ on facilities (until recently). Why can't we expect similar?

The Bears is the only one I think he might consider.  He is a Chicago boy through and through.  Damn, I like Fitzgerald.  We had a guy like that once.

9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

You don’t want to get that started, there are no acceptable excuses in my mind.

19 hours ago, Payday said:

This!  Felt this way for a few years now.   His program has proven remarkable at turning around and peaking at the right time. Fitzgerald embodies the essence of progress and defying the expectations in almost every way possible. Being in the West doesn't hurt either, but they've reached across division for wins for years running. 

2 hours ago, Payday said:

I think you will see the pros come for him. He has proven himself as a CEO manager type.

I would love/hate it if the Patriots came calling with a blank check and totally shaft their heir apparent Josh McDaniels the way he did Indy.  Forgive me and I don't want anyone to get shafted really, and I dig Reich for Indy once he has a bit more time to get it all glued together his way. Stability and continued fortune and good drafting and it's as good as done because strategy plus charisma, plus toughness is hard to bet against.that's why I do think Fitzgerald would make a great NFL coach , though. . However, I.m not even sure if money would pry Pat  Fitzgerald away from Northwestern.

Those MAC ties via Randy Walker's influence are a common tie that binds the cradle of coaches and dedication to their job runs deep in that tree, so it's hard to say if money will pull him away  - from the outside looking in. Fitzgerald bleeds Cats and is in love with NU Football. Hep was another who stood their ground and loved where they were at most of all once they reached major conference coaching. Walker, Mallory Bo Schembeckler's on field approach was also ingrained into that tree and despite kindness as a tie that progressively developed, the toughness along those ranks was never in question either. . I'm leaving others out , but those came to mind first .It's valid.

Sorry to wax , and for coming off sounding classless with the humor. Speaking of.. nothing against PF either , but I'm way too selfish of a homer  fan to want that to happen on 2nd thought..Lol  I'd probably hate that in the end because being a Colts fan that would just suck if he coached NE.  Funny to ponder though , and not way too far out.  It would be even further from the first time a Boston franchise swept into the Midwest and stole away some slice of brilliance  to make their name with , even if it's nothing more than a passing thought from some couch fan like me.

10 hours ago, rico said:

The Bears is the only one I think he might consider.  He is a Chicago boy through and through.  Damn, I like Fitzgerald.  We had a guy like that once.

Twice, I would agree on,  since I count Hep and Mallory.

Allen-  I'm still on board with and my money is on him to grow into an excellent fit for IU if the loyalty is there on both sides unless time and events prove me wrong otherwise.. .That includes on the field success and a more consistent mentality and execution. The strategic side is my biggest worry there, but only all -around. I'm sold on Allen's defense. Until 2018 IU was getting by on the bulk of Knorr's recruits. Allen has got players who could come in and compete right away. That is where it has to continue growing IMO. I'll drop it for now, but same train of thought. Allen loves his players and loves iU Football. That much is certainly the same. 

I could see the Bears too for Pat Fitzgerald , as it wouldn't mean deserting the city , but the Bears aren't in too bad of shape as it currently stands from what I have managed to gather. I haven't followed , but heard they've remained in contention thus far. This weekend's schedule and results still not known to me.

Fitzgerald almost inarguably is a solid dude and impressive teacher right now. Any program or organization would be fortunate to have him on board running the show. He gained something special and invaluable literally being part of something that turned against the tides of the status qou of that time. There is immeasurable value in that experience that increases with it's longevity now that it has extended to his coaching career. NU Football are nobody's bums anymore, and I grew up watching IU absolutely destroy Northwestern like most other teams did with relative ease at one time. 

I agree with you guys thinking he likely stays forever.

Ok so here's one:    Reasons aside, who will leave their respective program/school first?  Kirk Ferentz or Fitzgerald?   

Personally, I'm not comfortable trying to project lifespan for anyone. Lol But I would think there is a greater chance Ferentz retires before Fitzgerald's window of pro value closes. 

Good question, Payday.  And thanks for all you have shared with me over the years. IMHO.  Fitz is to football, what  is the Mark Few is to  College basketball.  He knows he has a good thing going.  And regardless of requests for moving for more money, has no desire to get rid of a good thing..... just like Coach Few.... who I might mention is the coach of a mid major team.... that just happens to be the number one ranked team in the nation.  I don't know Fitz.... but if I were him... I would not be changing a good thing, just for the money.

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Good question, Payday.  And thanks for all you have shared with me over the years. IMHO.  Fitz is to football, what  is the Mark Few is to  College basketball.  He knows he has a good thing going.  And regardless of requests for moving for more money, has no desire to get rid of a good thing..... just like Coach Few.... who I might mention is the coach of a mid major team.... that just happens to be the number one ranked team in the nation.  I don't know Fitz.... but if I were him... I would not be changing a good thing, just for the money.

Although I love the analogy....but there is one big difference.  Pat is a NW alum and former player for the 'Cats.  

19 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Twice, I would agree on,  since I count Hep and Mallory.

Allen-  I'm still on board with and my money is on him to grow into an excellent fit for IU if the loyalty is there on both sides unless time and events prove me wrong otherwise.. .That includes on the field success and a more consistent mentality and execution. The strategic side is my biggest worry there, but only all -around. I'm sold on Allen's defense. Until 2018 IU was getting by on the bulk of Knorr's recruits. Allen has got players who could come in and compete right away. That is where it has to continue growing IMO. I'll drop it for now, but same train of thought. Allen loves his players and loves iU Football. That much is certainly the same. 

I could see the Bears too for Pat Fitzgerald , as it wouldn't mean deserting the city , but the Bears aren't in too bad of shape as it currently stands from what I have managed to gather. I haven't followed , but heard they've remained in contention thus far. This weekend's schedule and results still not known to me.

Fitzgerald almost inarguably is a solid dude and impressive teacher right now. Any program or organization would be fortunate to have him on board running the show. He gained something special and invaluable literally being part of something that turned against the tides of the status qou of that time. There is immeasurable value in that experience that increases with it's longevity now that it has extended to his coaching career. NU Football are nobody's bums anymore, and I grew up watching IU absolutely destroy Northwestern like most other teams did with relative ease at one time. 

I agree with you guys thinking he likely stays forever.

Ok so here's one:    Reasons aside, who will leave their respective program/school first?  Kirk Ferentz or Fitzgerald?   

Personally, I'm not comfortable trying to project lifespan for anyone. Lol But I would think there is a greater chance Ferentz retires before Fitzgerald's window of pro value closes. 

Nagy is going to be in Chicago for a long time. I don't see Fitzgerald ever leaving for the NFL. 

Just a quick note. And I truly don't believe it will amount to anything but was speaking with a friend today and he reminded me that Murphy from the Packers is tight with Fitzgerald. Said it probably won't go anywhere but Murphy hired Fitz to be head coach at Northwestern.....and has multiple Northwestern players on team because he loves how Fitz develops.

I didn't know the connection there. Just a thought to add to the discussion. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a quick note. And I truly don't believe it will amount to anything but was speaking with a friend today and he reminded me that Murphy from the Packers is tight with Fitzgerald. Said it probably won't go anywhere but Murphy hired Fitz to be head coach at Northwestern.....and has multiple Northwestern players on team because he loves how Fitz develops.

I didn't know the connection there. Just a thought to add to the discussion. 

Interesting indeed.

14 hours ago, rico said:

Interesting indeed.

Very 

In sports/coaching(as in life) loyalties can be/often are so multi-layered and tiered.

Even if it does go nowhere.I'm glad it was brought up by his friend and shared here(thanks again @Seeking6 and to your friend) . Whether anything  happens or not , if nothing else ,  it wouldn't come out of left field(to  me) now if GB tried to extend an offer or if it went further. .

Hard to envision Fitzgerald doesn't get so much as consideration, call, or an offer if Murphy hired him to NU. So many thoughts , so little time in a day. .

Surprised time allowed a minute to check back on a Tuesday AM, but glad I did. 

On 12/4/2018 at 12:12 PM, rico said:

You know Rico, Have watched Kingsbur over the years. I just have not been able to get onboard. One of my biggest concerns with him is that it seems he has never been on a team that actually played defense. In the quality conference and pros you need to play defense. It could just be me.

2 hours ago, Payday said:

You know Rico, Have watched Kingsbur over the years. I just have not been able to get onboard. One of my biggest concerns with him is that it seems he has never been on a team that actually played defense. In the quality conference and pros you need to play defense. It could just be me.

It is a very valid point none the less.

Fitzgerald to GB is interesting.  I had not thought of that.  What are the connections?

He is obviously a tremendous coach.  He was first a great get for NU out of high school as a linebacker. 

He could go to the NFL and, who knows, with a name like Patrick Fitzgerald, end up at ND some day.  

As for Green Bay, ARod is great but he comes across as high maintenance.  With his ability, I figured GB would go for a creative, offensive mind.  Fitzgerald is different.  But, he could try to bring a high flying offensive coordinator with him, if he’s comfortable with that.  Maybe that’s not his style.  

56 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Fitzgerald to GB is interesting.  I had not thought of that.  What are the connections?

He is obviously a tremendous coach.  He was first a great get for NU out of high school as a linebacker. 

He could go to the NFL and, who knows, with a name like Patrick Fitzgerald, end up at ND some day.  

As for Green Bay, ARod is great but he comes across as high maintenance.  With his ability, I figured GB would go for a creative, offensive mind.  Fitzgerald is different.  But, he could try to bring a high flying offensive coordinator with him, if he’s comfortable with that.  Maybe that’s not his style.  

And without Rodgers, Green Bay might not have won more than a game or two this year. Their management really hasn't done them any favors the last few years and they don't have a good roster outside of Rodgers.

Archived