Penn State Pregame Thread

rbkl

After a too-close-for-comfort win over Northwestern, the Hoosiers need to break the road spell with their current 2 game losing streak on the road.

With centerpiece 6'8" forward Lamar Stevens, Penn State matches up fairly well with Indiana in terms of size and length. Defensively they are top 10 in adjusted Kenpom, which may be troubling for the turnover-prone Hoosiers of late. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Right now, I'd agree we should be a dog, but it's certainly very winnable if the Hoosiers play to their potential.

Well we will easily have the 2 best players on the court and the environment there usually resembles a neutral site more than a road game.  As 987 said not very hostile.

3 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Penn State is rated #39 on kenpom. I haven't seen them play this year but that doesn't look like a bottom feeder to me

There is not a super team in the Big ten like a Duke, however there is also not a terrible team either in the big ten - any team is capable of winning. This is a deep league. I just looked at KenPom and Northwestern is ranked in the top 50 at #45. Again, I say - this is a deep league.

Just now, Hoosier987 said:

There is not a super team in the Big ten like a Duke, however there is also not a terrible team either in the big ten - any team is capable of winning. This is a deep league. I just looked at KenPom and Northwestern is ranked in the top 50 at #45. Again, I say - this is a deep league.

Absolutely. Per kenpom, Minnesota is rated 12th in the league and they are only #52 nationally. Like DJ said only Rutgers and Illinois are outliers, everything else is going to be a battle.

3 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

I'm going with my gut on this and say 92-65 IU.  I amm going to believe that the team has started to gel.  McRoberts scores 12 points.

Been a hoosier fan a long time no way is this next game anything but a fight we will be very lucky to win this next game. I know your post is dws

Penn State's players under Chambers have always played with a chip on their shoulder and will probably try to hit us in the mouth early. Given how soft some of our players are, I'm not sure we'll respond well to that. I think this will be the type of game where we fall behind 13-4 or so right out of the gate and trail by 6-12 points throughout.

I have seen PSU play this year.  And I would not be quick to blow them off.

A couple of things :

1). Lamar Stevens has always been a solid player for them.  And this season has upped his game...... averaging 22.4 PPG.  He is a guy who can carry this team on his shoulders.

2). As it relates to the fans in the stands at PSU.  I hazard a guess that more IU fans know more about PSU's BB players, than do the PSU fans.  Think, football school. 

No need to put Juwan on Stevens.  Zach......"The Attack"   McRoberts..... is back.  He's the man to handle that job.  And it WILL be a job to handle Stevens. Regardless of who gets the assignment.... it will be a tall task.  "The Attack" is who I would put on Stevens. 

Archived