Penn State Pregame Thread

rbkl

2 hours ago, Shooter said:

Penn State is rated #39 on kenpom. I haven't seen them play this year but that doesn't look like a bottom feeder to me

They’re not a bottom feeder. Doesn’t help to be dismissive of a decent team and on the road. Fairer to say we need to find a way to win against the teams in the middle of the pack on the road. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping that the squad that played Marquette shows up to this one, though I'm not confident that will happen. This is a trap game. Penn St. is coming off a hard fought loss to MD and they will be hungry for a home win. That said, they have been very inconsistent so far this year - kind of like another team I'm thinking of. If we don't hit the court focused, sharp, and wanting the win, this one could get away from us. I'm hopeful, just not feeling good about this one. 

I haven't seen PSU play this year, but most of you probably remember 6'9" man-child Mike Watkins.  He averaged 12.1 PPG, 8.9 RPG, and 2.3 BPG last year before going out late last season with an injury.  He has had a number of legal problems, and he has only played the last two games with 21 minutes v. Va. Tech and 11 minutes v. Md.  He's a very good defender, and he could be the wild card in this game.  It appears he is just getting back into game shape.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

They’re not a bottom feeder. Doesn’t help to be dismissive of a decent team and on the road. Fairer to say we need to find a way to win against the teams in the middle of the pack on the road. 

Agreed. This also feeds into unrealistic expectations. Calling this game a “must win” against a “bottom feeder” is establishing a false premise built upon an incorrect assessment of an opponent. 

41 minutes ago, BEKA said:

I'm hoping that the squad that played Marquette shows up to this one, though I'm not confident that will happen. This is a trap game. Penn St. is coming off a hard fought loss to MD and they will be hungry for a home win. That said, they have been very inconsistent so far this year - kind of like another team I'm thinking of. If we don't hit the court focused, sharp, and wanting the win, this one could get away from us. I'm hopeful, just not feeling good about this one. 

Trap game indeed. Hoping our Hoosiers will not be lulled into anything otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I sometimes think some of our fans just look at the name of the team and remember how they were in the past and not how they are this year.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I sometimes think some of our fans just look at the name of the team and remember how they were in the past and not how they are this year.

They're probably one of the 4 worst teams in the B1G.  Maybe they're a lot better than I thought but if we can't beat them we're likely not winning many games outside of AH this season.

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

They're probably one of the 4 worst teams in the B1G.  Maybe they're a lot better than I thought but if we can't beat them we're likely not winning many games outside of AH this season.

If PSU and Northwestern played on a neutral court, PSU would be favored.  Considering we barely beat Northwestern at home, if PSU is currently a bottom-feeder then I guess IU would have to be considered one as well.  

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

How do you know they are one of the worst teams in the leagues since the season is about 8 games old.  It is way to early to tell how the teams will play and who will be good or who will not be good.

Eh, trap game or not, this is a dangerous part of the schedule. This IU squad hasn't proved that they can do much of anything yet. I REALLY hope that they go into State College and kill, but I'm not holding out hope. I think we're starting to get a little more healthy, and we've had a couple of really challenging road tests already, so this game will be a good gauge of where we are as a team. 

5 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Well we will easily have the 2 best players on the court and the environment there usually resembles a neutral site more than a road game.  As 987 said not very hostile.

Fans tend to do this, and I think you’re overrating our talent. Lamar Stevens is on the same plane as our guys. I’ve also seen you say we have 2 of the 5 best players in the conference but I don’t agree. I love Juwan Morgan and wouldn’t want him on any other team, but he is not one of the 5 best players in the Big Ten.  

Im not even sure Langford is in the top 5 right now. He is from a talent perspective, but he’s still finding his rythem and way as a player at the collegiate level a bit. 

But either way, we won’t ‘easily’ have the two best players on the court against Penn State. 

Just now, IUFLA said:

Bottom feeders or not, Illinois and Rutgers can beat us on a given night. Remember the game at Champaign last year?

The B10 is very good this year. Can't overlook anybody.

And this is the point: conference play, especially, can be tough every night. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Fans tend to do this, and I think you’re overrating our talent. Lamar Stevens is on the same plane as our guys. I’ve also seen you say we have 2 of the 5 best players in the conference but I don’t agree. I love Juwan Morgan and wouldn’t want him on any other team, but he is not one of the 5 best players in the Big Ten.  

Im not even sure Langford is in the top 5 right now. He is from a talent perspective, but he’s still finding his rythem and way as a player at the collegiate level a bit. 

But either was, we won’t ‘easily’ have the two best players on the court against Penn State. 

This.

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

I haven't seen PSU play this year, but most of you probably remember 6'9" man-child Mike Watkins.  He averaged 12.1 PPG, 8.9 RPG, and 2.3 BPG last year before going out late last season with an injury.  He has had a number of legal problems, and he has only played the last two games with 21 minutes v. Va. Tech and 11 minutes v. Md.  He's a very good defender, and he could be the wild card in this game.  It appears he is just getting back into game shape.

He would certainly be on the all-convict team.  The thug has been arrested FOUR TIMES just since starting college.  Anywhere except Penn State, and he would have been thrown out of school.  And his enabler coach tried to paint him as a victim.  He's not responsible for his actions, you see, because he may (or may not) have had a rougher childhood than some of the rest of us.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Playing at Penn St. is not like playing at Arkansas or at Duke.  The boys lose this one, then we have some major issues.

I just don’t see it this way.  PSU is no slouch this year and it’s still early in the season.  Plenty of time to “make up” for this game if you see it that way.  

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

But either way, we won’t ‘easily’ have the two best players on the court against Penn State. 

So, when I had Priller on my 2nd team all-conference last season, you're saying that was showing some IU bias on my part?  :coffee:

Archived