Penn State Pregame Thread

rbkl

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going to be another dog fight. I don't know who draws the assignment for guarding Lamar Stevens (if we go with our usual starting lineup, I'm guessing Justin Smith) but he's a handful. If we can hold him down, I think we'll win. 

We've proven we can win a tight one in conference at home, now let's show we can do it on the road. Toughness is the key.

IU 67 PSU 60

7 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

This will be a tough game and another good test for our guys, especially with it being on the road.  I noticed Anderson got no playing time in the Northwestern game, is that Archie trying to send a message maybe or game script?  My guess was game script.   

I was wondering this myself.  We played 9 so i wonder if he has started trying to go so deep in the bench

19 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I was wondering this myself.  We played 9 so i wonder if he has started trying to go so deep in the bench

I think it's just as simple as IU getting healthier. Green and McRoberts are getting those minutes now that they're back. 

Game Preview

When: Tuesday 12/4 at 7pm ET on BTN

Vegas: PSU -2

ESPN: 46% chance of IU victory

KenPom: IU: #26, Penn State: #39. 44% chance of IU victory, predicts final score of IU 67, Penn State 69

IU Scouting Report

image.png.2ad8046999b3b056aacee3fb275e4105.png

Penn State Scouting Report

image.png.0e84c636e27cd1197fa0b9f1b4151151.png

We are a better shooting team from the field (+10%), but Penn State takes better care of the ball and shoots it better from the line (+8%)

Penn State has a higher ranking on defense than us, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why. We hold opponents to a lower field goal %, turn the other team over more, and keep teams off the offensive glass better. I guess Penn State does produce more steals on defense than we do. 

How we contain Lamar Stevens is going to determine this game. He is currently ranked 10th in the KenPom player of the year standings. Penn State starts two freshman guards and a sophomore center, so ideally we concentrate on Stevens and let the other guys beat us. 

This is going to be a tough one, and it is certainly not a "trap game" nor is it a "must win". Winning this game would do wonders for our tournament profile, as would just about any B1G road win.

As far as Morgan goes, he was sighted by many just a few hours after the game.... walking unimpeded in the mall.  However, as I stated, things can change in terms of injury. The good news... no broken bones.  Just soreness. I am hoping it does not flare up.   And again... should Morgan play on Tuesday, I would not be surprised at all for him to be wearing shin protection.

This series of injuries to our players has got to end soon.  Honestly, I have never seen anything like it, in all my years of following IU  BB. 

IU has the talent to win this game as well as several of the other road games mentioned earlier in this thread.  The only things necessary to beat all except maybe the best teams out there are 1) play smart, 2) keep turnovers to a minimum, 3) play tough defense throughout while keeping fouls to a minimum, 4) fewer turnovers, 5) improve the FT shooting (which should come), 6) don't turn the ball over by playing too fast and sloppy, 7) rebound/positioning,  and finally, fewer turnovers.

Yes there is a common theme.  If they can control the ball and the pace and not turn the ball over, they can and will become pretty darn good.

These are the games that I think will decide our season.  As most teams do, we'll probably win a game or two we "shouldn't," and we'll probably lose a game or two we "shouldn't."  We're going to have quite a few of these 50/50 games, and these are the ones that will determine if we're 7-9 seed or if we're a 10-12 seed.  If we can win 60% of our 50/50 games, we'll be good.  If we win 40% of them, we'll be in trouble.  It wouldn't surprise me if we have close to 10 of these 50/50 types of games the rest of the year, so that could be a 2 game swing.

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Side by side statistical comparison, who covers Stevens, PSU with their own big working his way back into shape, a top Nittany Lion defense -- we cover it all in our game preview.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-at-penn-state-game-day-essentials-tale-of-the-tape-keys-to-victory/

I would love for Wheeler (6'1) to be their center, but of course he's a guard lol

21 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Game Preview

When: Tuesday 12/4 at 7pm ET on BTN

Vegas: PSU -2

ESPN: 46% chance of IU victory

KenPom: IU: #26, Penn State: #39. 44% chance of IU victory, predicts final score of IU 67, Penn State 69

IU Scouting Report

image.png.2ad8046999b3b056aacee3fb275e4105.png

Penn State Scouting Report

image.png.0e84c636e27cd1197fa0b9f1b4151151.png

We are a better shooting team from the field (+10%), but Penn State takes better care of the ball and shoots it better from the line (+8%)

Penn State has a higher ranking on defense than us, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why. We hold opponents to a lower field goal %, turn the other team over more, and keep teams off the offensive glass better. I guess Penn State does produce more steals on defense than we do. 

How we contain Lamar Stevens is going to determine this game. He is currently ranked 10th in the KenPom player of the year standings. Penn State starts two freshman guards and a sophomore center, so ideally we concentrate on Stevens and let the other guys beat us. 

This is going to be a tough one, and it is certainly not a "trap game" nor is it a "must win". Winning this game would do wonders for our tournament profile, as would just about any B1G road win.

Two possible reasons for their defense rank being better than our:

Kenpom adjusts for opponents. IU holding Chicago State to 55 points isn't treated the same as PSU holding Bradley to 59 (in a loss no less).

I believe Kenpom still has some preseason baked into the rankings. Each game played removes some of it until at some point it is all actual. 

Archived