Shooting

12 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't think analytics have anything to do with it.  I just don't think they can hit the shot.  From what I see, players either want to shoot the 3 or take it to the rim.

I agree. Teams really should though. CTC gave me the DWADE midrange workouts and we started doing it in off season and as an everyday drill and we became better all around shooters.

I will take a 12 ft uncontested over 2ft contested for most of my guys and it made a big difference 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, rico said:

Because very few can hit it!!!!!!!  LOL

I agree but why can't players it those easy 12-15 open jumpers.  I say because they don't practice those because in games they don't shoot those shots in today's offense. To me that is a same because I would rather have my guys take good open shots over contested 3's or layups.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree but why can't players it those easy 12-15 open jumpers.  I say because they don't practice those because in games they don't shoot those shots in today's offense. To me that is a same because I would rather have my guys take good open shots over contested 3's or layups.

Once again we are talking a generational thing.  Things have changed and it ain't always for the better.

37 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Ok, so if all of those things give you a better chance of winning, and you're only allotted so many hours a week to work on stuff in practice, what do you prioritize in practice? 

Best return on investment. But players should be working on these outside of practice. . Oladipo didn’t become the second pick because of practice. He did it by working his butt off on his own

23 minutes ago, rico said:

I, personally, see bad habits developing with our youth in their approach to the game.

I think a lot of it is the emphasis on summer basketball over high school basketball.  Also I don't see kids just out playing the game anymore out with their friends so everything they are doing is to prepare for the next level.  to me they are missing out on just playing for the enjoyment instead of it being almost like a job to get ready for college.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think a lot of it is the emphasis on summer basketball over high school basketball.  Also I don't see kids just out playing the game anymore out with their friends so everything they are doing is to prepare for the next level.  to me they are missing out on just playing for the enjoyment instead of it being almost like a job to get ready for college.

AAU circuit is horrible, terrible and rotten in developing fundamentals! I'll give another example of poor decisions and fundamentals. How many times do we see somebody on a semi break take it to the rim against 2 or 3 defenders when they should have passed or pulled it out! The majority of college teams are all about the dribble drive penetration, with a "possible" kick out for a three. Pick and roll is the 2nd option and the roll portion has diminished to where its almost gone. People look at the Warriors and their threes without understanding how much they move without the ball, setting off ball screens, and how much they make defense work! The most "movement" we have is during the weave. 

Archived